Search results

1. J

Cheap DCC decoders

I'd really like to populate my new layout with DCC for switches, lighting, and all the rest of it. I've been doing enough reading that I'm thoroughly confused on how the DCC protocol is sent down the rails.\ Is there a "DCC For Dummies" anywhere that I can refer to to completely understand the...
  2. J

Del Mar - Lemon Grove Eastern (First Stupid Question(s) )

Track. I've got a few pieces of Kato track-roadbed (Unitrack) and they don't look too bad. I'm not a serious modeler, I just want something about one or two steps above the plywood under the Christmas Tree gig. Is Kato acceptable in the Unitrack thing? Seems to work pretty well for me. If...
  3. J

Del Mar - Lemon Grove Eastern (Super Newbie)

OK, here goes, and I'm going to ask some of the stupidest questions y'all have ever seen. And I'll try and ask only one stupid question at a time. Here"s what I've got: The garage is downstairs. The upstairs is my electronics lab (that's my profession). To get from garage to the lab there...
  4. J

Con-Cor Aerotrain Coupler

Con-Cor made models of the Aerotrain, specifically the one that ran the California coast from San Diego to points north. My wife rode that train 55 years ago to school every day and I'm trying to cobble up a working model of it. I've got the Con-Cor "three car adder" set but it uses a...
  5. J

N Gauge Couplers And Such

Getting back into it after almost 50 years away. Decided on N gauge because of space limitations. Went through my first real lesson about gravity a week ago and busted a gondola's couplers smack off. Got a replacement truck and it came with magne-matic couplers ... 1. Seems like magnetic...
  6. J

Metal Wheels

I've looked and can't seem to find a way of taking the plastic trucks off of a car (say, a caboose) and replacing them with metal so that I can light the insides of the car. Do they make just the wheels/trucks for such a conversion and where do I find them? Thanks, Jim
  7. J

Ho? N?

I know this question has been asked several bazillion times, but I'm trying to decide between N and HO. I only have about an 80" x 80" square to use so space is somewhat of a premium. I've done just a little bit with both gauges, and the problem I see with N is that ANY little hiccup causes...
  8. J

70 Year Old Youngster

Like most of the noob threads I read, most of us started when we were 2 or 3 from our father's Christmas gifts. Mine was S-gauge American Flyer, cast pot metal in those days, still have a bit of it around for nostalgia. Trying to decide on N or HO. I've had just a bit of experience with both...

Back