Search results

1. Steamguy

Athearn or MTH UP Challenger

I will soon be getting a UP Challenger in the two tone gray with yellow trim. I was wondering if I should get the MTH or the Athearn version. I have had great experiences with MTH and I love their sound system. Any suggestions? MTH Athearn Best regards, Jim
  2. Steamguy

A steam roster fit for a museum

Considering my layout idea of a steam museum based around high speed passenger service, I think that I have put together a very fitting steam roster. 0-6-0 Switcher 4-6-4 NYC Dreyfus Hudson w/ 20th Century Limited 4-6-4 New Haven I5 w/ Merchants Limited 4-8-4 N&W J class w/ Powhatan Arrow 4-8-4...
  3. Steamguy

A question as old as the 40's

This question is probably the most controversial question when it comes to railroading. Which 4-8-4 is the best? SP GS-4 UP FEF-3 NYC Niagara N&W J Class Best regards, Jim
  4. Steamguy

My next loco

I've been thinking about getting both a Union Pacific challenger and a PRR T-1 but I don't know what to get first. I'm thinking about an MTH challenger. This will be my setup. What do you think about the new MTH challengers?
  5. Steamguy

Passenger Trains

I decided to host a photo contest of the best pictures of model passenger trains. Go nuts. Best regards, Jim
  6. Steamguy

MTH Triplex

A buddy of mine wants to get a triplex, and He's looking at MTH. Does theirs go over prototypical speed? He wants to run it on the AAMRC layout, so on open house nights we operate at 20-40 scale MPH. Would it be able to keep up? Best regards, Jim
  7. Steamguy

The little engine that could for $120

I just bought a Mantua 0-6-0 switcher with DCC and sound for $120. The switcher is Bethlehem Steel #19. I have a few pictures of it running on AAMRC
  8. Steamguy

New Kato HO genesis

I have a few questions about Kato's new HO scale Amtrak GE P42 Genesis locomotives. While I do love steam, I also enjoy modern high speed equipment, such as the TGV or the Acela. But since it is Amtrak's workhorse and it is a fairly high-speed passenger loco, I ended up liking it very much. So...
  9. Steamguy

Coast Daylight Gallery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free Photo 1: Daylight on a curve crossing just downstream of Argo Dam in Ann Arbor, MI. This is also my profile picture. Photo 2: Daylight on a tall curved trestle over a river gorge. Photo 3: Daylight facing a BLI Southern Pacific track inspection...
  10. Steamguy

MTH or BLI N&W J class

I am looking to purchase an HO scale N&W J class sometime soon for myself. I've noticed that many make them, the best two being MTH and BLI. I do not know which one to buy. If you have a preference and a reason for the preference, please share it with me. Best regards, Jim
  11. Steamguy

A layout idea where the old and the new meet

My father and I are currently thinking about making a legitimate layout over the winter. Since I enjoy the steam powered streamliners of the 40's and 50's but he enjoys modern diesel freight, the transition era is ruled out. Our current idea is to make the layout a freelanced layout based on...

Back