Search results

1. Steamguy

A steam roster fit for a museum

Cool. I personally don't like that livery, I think it's a bit too boring. Thats why I like the final livery they were painted in with the brass trim, the one I posted pictures of.
  2. Steamguy

For the Bavarian State Engine, I know Hornby and many of its subsidiaries like Märklin make them. MTH also started making these models, as they just got into the scene in Europe. If your into O gauge, MTH is offering a ton of European steamers including this one.
  3. Steamguy

Rotary snow plow question

Welcome back to the hobby Bill. I would try running it without lube first. You might find it doesn't need any. - Jim
  4. Steamguy

Hello from an old newbie !

Hey Mud pie. I had a similar experience with model trains. My dad (sorry, i'm usual) had ho models on a 4x8 piece of plywood suspended by block and tackle (pulleys for all you land lubbers) from his bedroom ceiling. He pulled down the box when I was 5, and I was instantly hooked. I've been in...
  5. Steamguy

Here are some photos of the three big locos that I have already acquired.
  6. Steamguy

Sorry Motley. The roster is a someday roster. Currently I own the Challenger, the GS-4, and the Switcher. A buddy of mine owns the Dreyfuss. I do have a picture of the three of them excluding the switcher. Again this is a dream roster that will always be added on to. My newest addition (I know...
  7. Steamguy

Thank you for the input, my updated roster is this. 0-6-0 switcher 4-6-4 New Haven I-5 4-6-4 NYC Dreyfuss Hudson 4-6-4 Milwaukee Road F-7 Hudson 4-8-4 AT&SF Northern 4-8-4 N&W J Class 4-8-4 SP GS-4 4-4-4-4 PRR T-1 4-6-6-4 UP Challenger Eight locomotives that I hope society never forgets. And a...
  8. Steamguy

The little engine that could for $120

Hey guys. Its been a while since I've been posting. A quick update for Rico. I think the jerkiness and and mediocre running qualities were just a bug that just need some break in time to smooth out. It runs great, though manages to find all of the bad track spots (probably because it's running...
  9. Steamguy

Passenger Trains

I think so far Selector with his J-class is winning, although I do love that Super Chief consist.
  10. Steamguy

Steam Excursions

I run a GS-4 with five daylight cars. I am planning to get a Challenger very soon. I agree that steam excursions are fun, in fact, part of my proposed layout is going to be a round house/museum that was once a loco repair shop but is now a base for excursion runs. Best regards, Jim
  11. Steamguy

Passenger Trains

So far Iv'e got Selector with his J class, Motley with his FEF, and Montanan with his NP F units and RDC all tied in the lead. They are all very cool though. Keep em comin'! Best regards, Jim
  12. Steamguy

Athearn or MTH UP Challenger

I will soon be getting a UP Challenger in the two tone gray with yellow trim. I was wondering if I should get the MTH or the Athearn version. I have had great experiences with MTH and I love their sound system. Any suggestions? MTH Athearn Best regards, Jim
  13. Steamguy

Considering my layout idea of a steam museum based around high speed passenger service, I think that I have put together a very fitting steam roster. 0-6-0 Switcher 4-6-4 NYC Dreyfus Hudson w/ 20th Century Limited 4-6-4 New Haven I5 w/ Merchants Limited 4-8-4 N&W J class w/ Powhatan Arrow 4-8-4...
  14. Steamguy

MTH New release for 2014

I agree. I have an MTH GS-4 and I love it, but i guess it is from their previous release. I still trust MTH, and I think I might still get their challenger. The thing that's making me stick is ProtoSound 3.0. Whatever everyone says about Tsunami, I don't see it. I think their sound files aren't...
  15. Steamguy

Mainline rework

Awesome. Keep the photos coming. Best regards, Jim
  16. Steamguy

Coast Daylight Gallery

I think I will get the MTH, because the rest of the train is MTH and has served me well. I've never had any problems with MTH. Also, because the rest is MTH, I think I will get it so the colors match. Best regards, Jim
  17. Steamguy

Coast Daylight Gallery

The coast daylight prototype never had a Vista Dome car in it's consist. The only car ever added in after 1938 was the automat car, but that replaced the dining car since it had vending machines in it (talk about a downgrade). After that cars were just taken away from the consist until it was...
  18. Steamguy

A question as old as the 40's

Honestly I have no idea what diesel availability is. Can someone please define it? Also, next is speed. Best regards, Jim
  19. Steamguy

Mainline rework

Awesome bridge setup. There are sone very interesting scenes on this little layout that could make for some very cool pictures, and certainly some great operation. Best regards, Jim
  20. Steamguy

A layout idea where the old and the new meet

How about a new stream-liner? I've just been on BLI's website and found out about th new haven I-5. I think that it would be a good addition to the steam roster. What do you think? Best regards, Jim

Back