Search results

1. L

Would this work? (Track Compatibility Issue)

So one of the problems I have found in my research with model railroading (at least in HO scale, presumably in the others as well), is that the lack of compatibility and uniformity between track manufacturers can cause a LOT of stress in the layout planning phase. My issue: HO Scale CODE 83...
  2. L

Great site found for background buildings!!! Nice and cheap!!!

www.kingmill.com Very nice backdrop buildings on the superduper cheap!!! Will do my layout a major favor and my budget too!!! I thank NSTrainFan and his awesome YouTube channel for this find. Just passin' it on...Enjoy
  3. L

ledzeppelinfan1's Layout Journal...

Entry #1 In the months leading up to this journal, which I will document the progress of my layout, I spent a vast amount of time researching the art of professional model railroading. In this time, I found my niche; I'm the type with limited space and a limited budget who seeks to get the most...
  4. L

Sigh...confused about turnouts...

So...using SCARM...the only option for PECO turnouts was code 83 in the track library. I used the #5's to build my yard ladder and for industrial spurs and all seemed right. Right? Wrong. Or I dunno...I need some straight firm advice here. I am using code 100 track on this layout, so what PECO...
  5. L

Question regarding sectional track on curves for 10x5 HO layout

So I'm building a 10x5 and I'm no longer going to use flex track on the curves (dont try to talk me into it, ive done tons of research...TONS...its settled). I have two options... 1. Get Shinohara 26 inch radius sections for like 6.00 a piece...or... 2. Use Atlas 24 inch radius sections and...
  6. L

ledzeppelinfan1's 10x5 HO Layout Trackplan (Viewable Plan Included)

Click On Trackplan For Larger Image...Large N made of track represents BackDrop, not track. The Large N in the middle is actually the backdrop. I will put more of a description later on or as questions arise. One bit of news, I did purchase my 17th and 18th locomotives today...two CN GP-38s...
  7. L

Trees out of christmas trees???

I was thinking of chopping up the tree after the holiday season and making tons of pine/conifer trees...Ive seen people using armatures off of trees outside in their yard and figured this would be a decent idea...anyone ever try this?
  8. L

ledzeppelinfan1s Monster Railroading On a 10x5 Construction Journal (HO Scale)

Hello all, You may remember my thread about creating an HO 4x8 and my plans (based off a design by Byron Henderson) that were in their preliminary stages. It has been awhile, and frankly all I ever seem to think about is the layout. My wife has given me a budget (1500 after taxes and...
  9. L

Running DC and its compatibility with other loco specs...

What I mean to say is this... I just finished my list for items to purchase for my layout and I have room to purchase one more diesel...spending about 1000 dollars in supplies for a 4x8. I already have 15 locos and 125 cars so I'm not going to be going DCC on this layout, at least, maybe way...
  10. L

22 inch and 20 inch radius curves and flex track...

Building a 4x8 next year and I've done so much research that its crazy...I feel like I know how to do almost anything outside of wiring. I had planned on doing my curves by soldering flex track together straight (about 2ish pieces) and forming the long track around the curve. That was until I...
  11. L

I've accepted the biggest challenge (well one of em) in model railroading...

How to get a lot out of a 4x8 HO layout...and by God, I think I'm onto something. However, I know the wealth of knowledge that is possessed by many here runs deep and would just love some advice. But first, let me say that 4 x 8 is as big as I can go. Really that is even stretching it with the...
  12. L

So how much do I need??? Woodland Scenics...

And please, if you have any good suggestions...do share. I'm building an HO 4x12 layout come tax season next year and was wondering how much ground foam and other substances to cover this layout. I was thinking of getting two Woodland Scenics Landscaping Kits thinking they would provide enough...
  13. L

HO Backdrop Graphics

Where is the place to get the most cost effective backdrops??? I need 8 feet of city or industrial backdrop and 12 feet of rural backdrop. I went to model train stuff.com and the stuff I would need was going to run me over 100 bucks...seems like there should be a better deal out there than that.
  14. L

Hello from NW Arkansas!!!

Hello everybody!!! My name is Steve and I model HO scale. I'm 32 and married with 4 kids. I got into the hobby when I was 6 and stayed with it until the age of 12; when I started to notice girls and sports became more of a pursuit. Well last year I came back to the hobby and built a nicely...

Back