Search results

1. Greg@mnrr

The Rock Formations Coloring is Fading

Parts of my CM&N Railroad are close to 20 years old and just recently I noticed that some of my rock coloring has faded to some degree. The layout is under florescent lighting which if running for long periods can help fade many materials, including scenery, but the florewscent lighting is run...
  2. Greg@mnrr

Rapido SW1200 Locomotives

I purchased and received my two Rapido SW1200 locomotives, one the MILW loco with the trash can mufflers and the other a SOO Line locomotive. I tested the MILW and it ran great on my test track at slow speeds, the SOO remains untested. I been reading about problems with the Rapido SW1200...
  3. Greg@mnrr

Home-Made Vacuum Assembly

The points and frogs on my railroad often get dirty and I need a way to clean the turnouts and other areas on the layout without using a larger nozzle on a typical vacuum hose. I plan on using a PVC pipe fitting, end cap, that I can fit on the end of my vacuum hose. I'll drill out the center...
  4. Greg@mnrr

Did You Ever Re-Hab parts of Your Model Railroad Layout?

The Model Railroader Video Plus Series, "Rehab My Railroad" is one of my favorites and in fact I purchased the entire series of videos on Chuck Sables C&NW layout being re-habed by staff members of Model Railroaders. I enjoy watching them working on an existing HO model railroad and the areas...
  5. Greg@mnrr

Using Automatic Transmission Fluid for Treating Track

I recently watched a large club cab ride video and they talked about using automatic transmission (ATF) fluid to clean and treat their track. They use the ATF very sparingly and only when they noticed some lost of electrical conductivity between the track and their locomotives. They also used...
  6. Greg@mnrr

Stock Market and Hobby Spending

Do down turns in the US stock market affect your model railroading,spending habits? The market has been going up and down lately and looking at the market this afternoon, it's back going downward for most stocks. Greg
  7. Greg@mnrr

Using Woodland's Paint Pens

I posted in my Coffee Shop thread about watching a video about using Woodland Scenic's Paint Pens to weather track. It looked like good results and seems to be an easy method to weather track. Before in investing in several sets of the pens has anyone used them and can shed some light on their...
  8. Greg@mnrr

Woodland Scenics Grass Applicator

I just have a question about Woodlands Scenics Grass Applicator and if any Forum members have use or won one and what are your comments regarding this tool for scenery. Thanks. Greg #############
  9. Greg@mnrr

What Track Cleaning Car do you Think is the Best....?

I have two Centerline track cleaning cars, a box car fitted with Masonite and a Walther's box car with abrasive pad. None of which I feel do a good or lasting track cleaning job. I plan on using the method from TrainMaster that uses Track Magic followed by a minimum amount of graphite applied...
  10. Greg@mnrr

Bachmann 70 ton DCC Undecorated Locomotive - Yellow

Looking for a Bachmann 70 DCC Undecorated Locomotive - Yellow. Thanks Greg
  11. Greg@mnrr

Kadee #530 Wheel-sets

Just a few questions about wheel-sets. As anyone used or have used Kadee's #530, Code 88, 33 inch wheel-sets? I was at Walther's Showroom today and the wheel-sets were on sale and I picked up a few packets at the reduced price. I like using the non-magnetic wheel-sets since I use KD's...
  12. Greg@mnrr

Graphite Used to Improve Electrical Contact

I've been reading and viewing videos where graphite when used sparingly on track improves electical contact between DCC locomotives and the track. I haven't tried using graphite and wonder if any of the DCC Forum members have used graphite on their layouts and if they have seen any improvement...
  13. Greg@mnrr

How Do You Store Your Excess Rolling Stock?

If you are like many of us, you have extra pieces of rolling stock that isn't on your layout. How do you store these pieces of rolling stock? In their original boxes, in plastic totes or cardboard storage containers designed for this purpose? Thanks. Greg
  14. Greg@mnrr

Looking for the Toggle Switch Face Plates

I'm looking for the toggle switch face plates used on the Model Railroad Video Plus Rehab My Railroad "Jones Island" project series. They were installed on the layout's fascia. I could only read what looked like Rail Crew or something close. The plates looked like they were made of aluminum...
  15. Greg@mnrr

Rapido SW1200 Locomotives - Out of the Box Running Problems

Hello to all. I have a question regarding the new release of the Rapido SW1200 locomotives. I read or heard that some or many of the locomotive have rough running out of the box due only to excess lube on the wheel-sets. Once the wheel-sets are cleaned the locomotives will run like a Rapido...
  16. Greg@mnrr

Running Consists With Foreign Power

As I roamed the internet today looking for cab rides, I thought of a question that I was meaning to ask the Forum members. Do you ever run consists that have foreign power on your layout. I plan to run leased locomotives mixed with locomotives that consider my layout as home. As an example...
  17. Greg@mnrr

NJ International

Every-time I check Walther's it seems that NJ International is always out of certain items and the note "No word from the manufacture". This is leading me to believe that something is happening at NJ and is it still in business? I email them a question some time ago and I never heard back from...
  18. Greg@mnrr

Best Club Cab Ride Videos

I really enjoy many of the home layout cab videos and at the same time like the cab rides from large club layouts. I rank the East and West rides at the Colorado Railroad Model Railroad museum some of the best. Which cab rides do you like the best? Greg...
  19. Greg@mnrr

Kadee Uncouplers

I have a bunch of Kadee above track uncouplers (#321)that I purchased years ago. Using these uncouplers on Code 83 track requires cutting the rails to make the uncoupler fit and work properly. Looking at the Kadee website, Kadee now offers a above uncoupler (#322) that doesn't require cutting...
  20. Greg@mnrr

Scale Trains vs. Rapido

Just looking for Forum members' experiences with both Scale Train and Rapido locomotives. What do you like or dislike about your model locomotive(s) and do you reccommend them? I have a Scale trains MILW locomotive on order and I'm think about a Rapido locomotive as well. I have a Rapido RDC...

Back