Search results

1. T

Tearing up balasted cork roadbed that's been adhered with acrylic caulking

Hello, My layout is too simplistic and I want to redo it. I'm breaking my back trying to get this roadbed up though. Does anyone have a recommended method or tool to take this roadbed up? It's been adhered to plywood using acrylic caulking. The balast was adhered by flooding with 50/50...
  2. T

TCS Z2 Decoder run-away as soon as it's on the track

Halp! :-) I just installed a TCS 1296 Z2 decoder into an N Scale - SW9/1200 LifeLike locomotive. Pretty sure I did it all correctly except I have *not* wired up any LED yet. That might be important here, I'm not sure. The leads for the LEDs are not connected. When I put the locomotive...
  3. T

Help please - wiring a loop

I'm trying to figure out how to wire this loop. I have used the internal SPDT switches built into the Tortoise switch motor to handle the polarity of the dead-end that goes up to the right but I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to power the frog properly depending on which direction...
  4. T

Comprehensive questions about Tortoise Switch Machines and Peco SL turnouts

(note: This is a crosspost from Scale Specific Discussions -> N Scale) I have 12 peco turnouts on my layout. They are all Peco SL series turnouts. I've attached a picture that represents what the points and throw bar look like (including the little spring). I also have 12 tortoise switch...
  5. T

Comprehensive questions about Tortoise Switch Machines and Peco SL turnouts

I have 12 peco turnouts on my layout. They are all Peco SL series turnouts. I've attached a picture that represents what the points and throw bar look like (including the little spring). I also have 12 tortoise switch machines that I want to drive the points with. I have a few issues though...
  6. T

Switchmotors for PECO turnouts *and* DCC (N Scale)

Hi Folks, I'm to the point now where I need to start deciding how I'm going to motorize my turnouts. I'd like to keep this cheap (ie. no tortoise switch machines) but I could be talked into it. Eventually I'll want to wire these with DCC so I have to keep that in mind. Also this is N...
  7. T

Quick Q: Cork roadbed --> extruded foam insulation - how to bond?

Hello, I wanted to double check my findings here as I've been Googling this for a while now. I also searched the forum for information. Everyone talks about cork roadbed to wood but rarely do I find info about cork roadbed bonded to foam. Anyway, thought I'd ask here. I want to avoid...
  8. T

First layout - criticism requested. This is stressing me out a little LOL

Hello, I just purchased AnyRail a week or so ago and I've been drawing several track layouts with it. I figured it was time I settled on something or at least got some feedback on what I've been doing. I already have the benchwork up and foam glued but I'm very concerned thinking about what...
  9. T

I'm a noob - what do I do first? Seriously...

I ask "What do I do first?" but really I've already done some things. I'm at a standstill now though. I think mostly I'm having trouble dropping a bunch of dough on track... Here's what I have done so far... - Cleared about a 9' 4" x 9' 4" basement room completely - Built a bench that...
  10. T

Which decoder w/ sound for "Kato N ES44AC EVO Locomotive"

I bought two "Kato N ES44AC EVO Locomotive Canadian Pacific" off eBay (with different road numbers of course) but I don't know which decoders to get. I bought two of the following which are identical except the road numbers: http://bit.ly/Opa6Tc I tried asking the eBay seller (jimstrns) early...
  11. T

Best way to obtain N scale gear while living in a rural area?

Hello, I've gone ahead and purchased some really old (terrible) HO stuff from a retiree and I'm now in the process of getting rid of it. I'm definitely going N scale. While getting rid of it I've built a bench that's 9'4"x32" on one wall and 9'4"x36" on the adjacent wall forming an L shaped...
  12. T

Advice for a noob based on mistakes already made?

Hi Folks, I'm new to both modelling trains and to the forum. I recently purchased two 16"x20"x12" boxes of old HO gear from a retiree. I don't know the retiree but I think he might have ripped me off. I paid $110 dollars for 6 engines, 2 of which work, a bunch of rolling stock and a 100+...
  13. T

New to Model Railroading and the Forum

Hi Folks, I'm 37 and have twin 7 year olds (boy and a girl). At first, for a few months at least, I plan to let them put it together in different layouts until they seem to settle on the layout they want. Then we can refine it. I didn't really buy this stuff for me since that wouldn't be...

Back