Search results

1. T

Tearing up balasted cork roadbed that's been adhered with acrylic caulking

Hello, My layout is too simplistic and I want to redo it. I'm breaking my back trying to get this roadbed up though. Does anyone have a recommended method or tool to take this roadbed up? It's been adhered to plywood using acrylic caulking. The balast was adhered by flooding with 50/50...
  2. T

TCS Z2 Decoder run-away as soon as it's on the track

Oh yes I should have mentioned that I tried a factory reset with no change in the results. Thanks for that though. I guess I'll contact TCS about this. Thanks again!
  3. T

TCS Z2 Decoder run-away as soon as it's on the track

Halp! :-) I just installed a TCS 1296 Z2 decoder into an N Scale - SW9/1200 LifeLike locomotive. Pretty sure I did it all correctly except I have *not* wired up any LED yet. That might be important here, I'm not sure. The leads for the LEDs are not connected. When I put the locomotive...
  4. T

Help please - wiring a loop

I ended up going with a relay as someone suggested (thank you). The local radio shack (in Canada they are called The Source now because of some trademark dispute) but they only had an automotive relay but that's fine. I had to isolate the frog here because the south rail and north rail...
  5. T

Lifelike SW9 DC to DCC Conversion

Hey thanks for that info Jeff - wasn't aware of that decoder.
  6. T

Hi Iron Horseman, Thanks for reading my issue. The turnout I'm having issues with is the very bottom most turnout in blue that connects the spur that goes up to a dead-end on the right. The blue section has two turnouts, its the one near the middle of the photo. The one on the left is fine...
  7. T

I'm trying to figure out how to wire this loop. I have used the internal SPDT switches built into the Tortoise switch motor to handle the polarity of the dead-end that goes up to the right but I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to power the frog properly depending on which direction...
  8. T

Lifelike SW9 DC to DCC Conversion

I'm doing the same conversion soon but in N scale so I won't have room for a speaker. I barely have room for the decoder itself - apparently I have to remove the weight to fit the decoder in there. The decoder is being shipped and is in transit as I write this.
  9. T

Comprehensive questions about Tortoise Switch Machines and Peco SL turnouts

(note: This is a crosspost from Scale Specific Discussions -> N Scale) I have 12 peco turnouts on my layout. They are all Peco SL series turnouts. I've attached a picture that represents what the points and throw bar look like (including the little spring). I also have 12 tortoise switch...
  10. T

Comprehensive questions about Tortoise Switch Machines and Peco SL turnouts

I have 12 peco turnouts on my layout. They are all Peco SL series turnouts. I've attached a picture that represents what the points and throw bar look like (including the little spring). I also have 12 tortoise switch machines that I want to drive the points with. I have a few issues though...
  11. T

Help with my First N Scale Layout.

Love those rocky areas on the hill face. How'd you do that?
  12. T

Does DCC make motors overheat?

Some interesting stuff... The reason electricity from the wall is a sine wave shape is because of the generators that used to make it regardless of how many poles they are. Granted they don't do it the same any more - they feed huge amounts of DC current to systems that regulate and produce...
  13. T

Switchmotors for PECO turnouts *and* DCC (N Scale)

Hi Folks, I'm to the point now where I need to start deciding how I'm going to motorize my turnouts. I'd like to keep this cheap (ie. no tortoise switch machines) but I could be talked into it. Eventually I'll want to wire these with DCC so I have to keep that in mind. Also this is N...
  14. T

Quick Q: Cork roadbed --> extruded foam insulation - how to bond?

Thanks guys. I ended up using DAP latex caulking (clear). It's viscous enough that on straight and larger radius areas you don't really need pins to keep it down or in place. I got down and checked from a low vantage point though to make sure there were no high-spots after a few minutes to be...
  15. T

That sounds great ThoroughBreed - that's the way I'm gonna go then on foam and wood bench. Thanks!
  16. T

Hello, I wanted to double check my findings here as I've been Googling this for a while now. I also searched the forum for information. Everyone talks about cork roadbed to wood but rarely do I find info about cork roadbed bonded to foam. Anyway, thought I'd ask here. I want to avoid...
  17. T

First layout - criticism requested. This is stressing me out a little LOL

True about the grades. I've kept this in mind for construction. I'm also not going to go the full 2.5" for height but 2" instead and then ensure that the underpass has ample clearance by using thin material and reinforce it without lowering the height of the underside of said material. A good...
  18. T

Hi Folks, Thanks for all the replies. I've taken a ton of it into consideration and revamped my layout. Also what I remembered as cutting 30" for the left hand bench turns out I cut it at 32" and just forgot. I've attached my latest drawing. The guys over at AnyRail (software) forum...
  19. T

Hello, I just purchased AnyRail a week or so ago and I've been drawing several track layouts with it. I figured it was time I settled on something or at least got some feedback on what I've been doing. I already have the benchwork up and foam glued but I'm very concerned thinking about what...
  20. T

I'm a noob - what do I do first? Seriously...

Thanks for the reply Selector. I've already built the bench - used as much space as I could in good conscience without making it too hard to reach over to the back of the layout. 3' is the maximum except the corner - that is more than 3' of course. Making some copies of the space for...

Back