Search results

1. Z

Why is there a web in the rail?

Cool thanks Dave! So it handles shear force. I think I got it! :)
  2. Z

G Gauge lumber ?

If you have a table saw you can make it yourself. Or try looking at wood for doll houses.
  3. Z

Why is there a web in the rail?

I'm sure there is some super uber technical reason but I have not seen it yet. Even wikipidia is no help! :( For no logical reason I really want to understand!
  4. Z

First Scratch built Structure...

Haha! They could put indoor plants on in and not have to water them when it rains!
  5. Z

Actually I worked for a renovation company before. One time we almost put in a pre-assembled bay window in inside out! One thing we ran into was putting in windows level, and having them look crooked because the walls were off plumb. The bathroom window in my house is sideways. I didn't do...
  6. Z

As for the upside down shingles, I have heard of people trying to put on shingles starting at the top! And not on a model! :confused::rolleyes: Siding too!
  7. Z

I like the shingles. Just could use more weathering. Use your hobby knife and pull up some of the shingles and brake off some of the ends. For gluing wood to wood I use yellow wood glue. Unless you put too much on and it comes out you'll never see it. If some does come out use a damp cloth to...
  8. Z

For gluing don't use it straight from the bottle. Use a scrap of cardboard or something and put a dab on it. Then use a toothpick to put the glue on your model. Good job so far. :)
  9. Z

Any one use wood for roadbed? Not sub roadbed

Oh jeez, now what is luan?? Just when I thought I know what I was doing! But I could just keep the Homasote 1/2 inch and build up the scenery up a bit. I love this idea now! Cuz it will let me have undulating ground and keep the track flat, like the prototype would try to do. :)
  10. Z

Homasote is cheaper! A little work doesn't bother me! :) It's not work when your having fun! I'm going to build 2' x 4' sections so it will not be much cutting at a time anyway.
  11. Z

Haha! It's all good! Turn's out I was wrong about Homasote not being available here! :) And only $13 Canadian a 4' x 8' sheet! Andy your right some rail lines had no (or anyway very little) ballast under them. I plan to cut the Homasote in half and have only just a smidge over a 1/8 of an inch...
  12. Z

Thanks Carey. I'll check out if they have Insulated Sheathing here. Otherwise I'll try making some roadbed out of wood and see how it works. :)
  13. Z

I am getting ready to hand lay some rail and need a roadbed. I can only get Homasote by going over the border into the U.S. I have heard of people using wood for a roadbed for hand laid rails. Anyone know anything about this?
  14. Z

Freight car length

Actually 40' boxcars (or at least some of them) are 41'something" outside dimension less couplers. So not all numbers given are necessarily an exact size of the cars. Measure the real thing or models or check drawings for exact numbers.
  15. Z

Metal Wheels

I'll second that. :)
  16. Z

Metal Wheels

Well I typed "N scale metal wheels" in a search engine and it came back with good results instantaneously.
  17. Z

How to make parallel track with Atlas code 100 turnouts?

Ok in SCARM the snap-switch works perfect with 2 1/3 18" radius curve pieces. The #6 with 1/3 18" radius works ok. The #4 with ether 1/2 18" or 15" doesn't really work.
  18. Z

How to make parallel track with Atlas code 100 turnouts?

Thanks Iron Horseman. So nothing really works?! Haha no wonder was having a hard time in SCARM!

Back