Search results

1. C

Start small or a bit bigger?

Question for you guys, especially those experienced in building layouts. I found the perfect track layout for my goals running a layout. However, I've not built a layout before and this one isn't a basement empire, but it is pretty large for someone who hasn't built one before and it also would...
  2. C

Repower Athearn Blue Box with Kato HM-5?

Hi all, Has anyone used a Kato HM-5 to repower Athearn Blue Box locos? I've got a set of 4 F7s from the late 80s, early 90s that I'd like to completely revamp and repower, but it bothers me that the repower kits are $60 each, especially since there are 4 of these and quite a few other blue...
  3. C

DIY 8 pin to 9 pin adapter? And other DCC future-proofing questions... :)

Hi all, Anyone ever DIY an 8 pin to 9 pin adapter? I'm thinking about cutting the traces on an 8 pin DC plug and soldering a 9 pin onto it. I will not be paying $8 for one from Soundtraxx, but I also don't want to solder the decoder in. Or maybe I should just solder in a new 9 pin connector...
  4. C

For those of you who transport trains, what do you transport them in?

Hi all, I am going to have to start efficiently and safely transporting my trains to and from the club. I'm thinking about building something that could hold up to 18 passenger trains or locos of any size (including my Big Boys and DDA40X), but I wanted to check with everyone first... what do...
  5. C

Bachrus Roller Stand for Big Boy?

Hi all, I was thinking about purchasing the Bachrus roller stand set (with plans of using it with the DCC speedometer to speedmatch) and I was wondering if 4 rollers and the stirrups were enough for a Big Boy or other articulated? Do I need to get a set of rollers for each pair of drivers? Or...
  6. C

Anyone know which batteries work best in Digitrax DT402D throttles?

Hi all, Which rechargeable 9v batteries are you guys using in your DT402 throttles? If I'm not mistaken, the LiIon batteries won't work well because they're 8.4v nominal, so I need to look for NiMH. Anyone have any particular batteries you use and like? Brandon
  7. C

Zephyr (DCS50) vs Xtra (DCS51) vs SPROG for programming

Hi all, I've got a bit of a different situation... I do not have a home layout. To be honest, for now, don't think I will simply because there's a really, really nice club layout 10 minutes from my house with almost a mile of track. Having said that, I have 62 locos and counting that were...
  8. C

Attended my first operating session on Monday... had a blast!

Hi everyone, I had found a local club near me not too long after moving here and finally decided to meet up with them. I attended a fun run a few weeks ago and tried my first operating session on Sunday. I had a blast! This is a really nice layout with great people in the club. I am very...
  9. C

What can I do to help this little brass GN 0-6-0?

Hi all, I opened up my little 1976 Westside GN A-9 today. Here's a pic: This little engine looks brand new. However, doesn't run so great. :) The slow speed performance is pretty bad, takes quite a bit of juice to make it start running. I'm thinking it may benefit greatly from...
  10. C

Layout in a crawl space?

Hi all, So my father in law has given me a huge portion of his Great Northern collection. I had wanted to build something in our garage that would raise and lower and store it "up" on the ceiling, so to speak, but I have other hobbies that would probably make this not work very well (reef...
  11. C

Rebuilding Old Brass - what are your favorite resources?

Hi all, I have been given a fairly large collection of older brass (mostly 60s and 70s West Side and Sunset brass, all of it Great Northern) by my father in law. I would really love to rebuild these locos drive train, replace open motors, add LEDs, add DCC, etc. Really make them run well and...
  12. C

Why ply on track risers?

Hi all, I've started researching benchwork and I've seen people using 3/4" ply for track risers? Isn't that extreme overkill? I would think 1/4" hardboard should do a great job. Anyone using something easier to work with than 3/4" ply? Or is there something I don't know? Thanks! Brandon
  13. C

Can a SPROG 3 do anything a PowerCab and NCE USB interface can't?

Hi all, I'm debating between just buying a Sprog 3 (the 3 amp version) and an NCE Power Cab with USB interface. I'm basically wanting to run 2 or 3 HO trains at once and maybe control a few turnouts. I will buy a boosters as I add turnouts, but as far as functionality, is there any difference...
  14. C

What kind of track do you guys use? Can Peco be substituted for Atlas?

Hi all, I'm finally about to build my first "real" layout. WOOHOO!!! I'm looking at building the double track version of this layout: http://www.layoutvision.com/gallery/id53.html I love it. I wish it had a turntable (mainly just to show off locos... haha!), but I may add that in...
  15. C

How do you prefer to show off your trains?

Hi all, I don't have room for a gigantic layout, but I love big power. :) I have a Challenger at the moment and will undoubtedly get more big engines, despite the fact I don't have a ton of room to run them (although there's a large club just down the road... but they do late 50s (no...
  16. C

Challenger detail parts?

Hi all, I have an older Rivarossi challenger (3985) that I would love to add DCC to and detail out. DCC I can handle (I found a guide on Alan Gartner's website and I'm pretty good with a soldering iron... getting the thing apart, however, will be the challenge). Detailing I'm not so sure...
  17. C

How does turnout feedback work and how valuable is it?

Hi all, Just curious how turnout feedback works in DCC. Is it just a timed notice, so to speak, from a controller reporting the last state change? I've seen what Anton did here, and I got all excited thinking it was the DS64... turns out he's using micro switches (of which I may also...
  18. C

Where to start?

Hi all, I've loved model railroading since I got my first Bachmann kit when I was about 5. I had a layout once when I was about 9. It was a Life Like kit out of the JC Penny catalog. Two ovals and one figure 8. :) That was taken down when my little brother came along and we had to use...

Back