Search results

1. R

Is Interest In Model Railroading Dwindling?

as a complete newbie, cost is a major factor. Any decent line is gonna cost at least $250, DCC to start is $200, Locos are $60 up not counting encoders. But that has been covered. To me, one of the most discouraging things is the "Taking reservations". "Sold Out" and freight being turned...
  2. R

SCARM - Simple Computer Aided Railway Modeller

Mixy, got an idea. Called a Radius calculator. In your 'flex track" dialog box of Tool Box, if you could have in input for "degrees" and have it calculate the length of the track off of the degrees and radius and insert it, it sure would be handy. Pretty simple calculation. I've built a...
  3. R

Layout "theory"

Thanks for all the input. I've been working on a dogbone I think I could live with. A lot of straight track tho. Two roads that go round and round(four tracks) and a thru yard sure gets a 2 foot wide section pretty crowded, but I think I might be able to live with this one. Appreciate the help.
  4. R

Layout "theory"

Everything I heard or read suggested about a 2' maximum for reaching over and 2 X 4 just seems to be geometrically right. I can buy quarter sheets of thin plywood, the 1 bys come in 8' lengths(cut em in half). I don't like handling full sheets of plywood anymore. I guess it was the info I had...
  5. R

Layout "theory"

cayuma, it'll be open on two and a half sides, so maybe can reach everything from there.
  6. R

Layout "theory"

Larry thanks for the info. Selector, I am building 2foot X 4 foot benches, not using 2 X 4's. Using 1X4 material also. I've got a 3D rendering of my layout "hopes", but don't have it on the web so can't post it. Thanks for the comments
  7. R

Layout "theory"

I’ve been hammering out details, not really details, but design options of my attempt at a layout(HO). The only real design I like is a duck-under full size “oval” if you will. I have an area chosen that is 10’ wide on one end and 8’ on the other. Length can be upto 24’. I’ve chosen 20’ as...
  8. R

SCARM - Simple Computer Aided Railway Modeller

Just want to say thank you for all the hard work you put into this and making it availabe for FREE. Easiest program I've tried so far.
  9. R

Designing problems

I got SCARM and it works like a charm. Very easy to use except for getting ladders aligned; seems to drift off and cause misalignment. I'll keep working with it and see if I can get better. Thanks everyone for you input.
  10. R

Designing problems

First off, hi to all. My name is Rick and I have been reading and lurking for some time. I'm trying to get up to speed without too much undo stress on your patience. I have experienced a couple of problems trying to get started tho, not counting the expense:rolleyes:. I downloaded RTS.10 to...

Back