Search results

1. N

painting advice needed

hello: I did a spray job on a model transport bus, from a Testors Model Master can. The paint went on well, but the finish on the bus is WAY too shiny. To dull this unrealistic shine, should I simply spray the bus with Testors dullcote, or instead lightly sand with high-grit sanhdpaper to...
  2. N

remind me please (using regulary battery for Kato turnout switch)

Hello: A while back someone suggested its okay to use a 1.5 volt battery to power the Kato (unitrack) switch machine. They explained the power needed to throw the switch need NOT be high, & I want to explore this possibility. Any other N scalers ever tried using a simple Duracell 1.5 volt...
  3. N

Is this still "model railroading" ???

I am interested in opinions on this site regarding something I struggle with at times. Am I still railroad modelling when I go to various shops to look and to buy ? What about perusing magazines or sites online ? I know getting our hands dirty with hydrocal or stringing code #____ wire under...
  4. N

simple flasher for crossbucks & lights...

Hello: When I was in HO scale, I had a "Busch" crossing signal flasher that was "all in one", the pkg came with 2 signals, and a flashing unit. It cost around 30 dollars. Now I am in N, I purchased a NJ International (2) crossing signals, for about 30 dollars. I want to operate them with a...
  5. N

Swapping MT couplers (only) with McHenry's

Has anyone out there swapped out the couplers only (not the box) of the MT's with McHenry's ?? Operating N scale Athearn gondolas I found the McHenry's (supplied with Athearn) operated better than the MT couplers... How hard is it to insert McHenry couplers into the truck-mounted MT coupler...
  6. N

Flasher for NJ international crossbucks/lights

Hello: When I was in HO scale, I had a "Busch" crossing signal flasher that was "all in one", the pkg came with 2 signals, and a flashing unit. It cost around 30 dollars. Now I am in N, I purchased a NJ International (2) crossing signals, for about 30 dollars. I want to operate them with a...
  7. N

what are the chances......??

Anyone out there with any idea what the chances are (if any) that a company will take a customers' request to heart and produce a model ? I wrote Athearn today (via Horizon) and enquired about them painting the already-produced HO FP 7 loco in a particular road. Obviously new tooling &...
  8. N

power for kato turnouts

hello all Kato N scalers: I have recently purchased some Kato Unitrack switches (turnouts) and am planning on using dpdt momentary toggles, not the blue box machines Kato make. I will mount on a control panel, but am wondering...if I have a seperate model power transformer (that come in RTR...
  9. N

how to power kato switch (turnout)

hello all Kato N scalers: I have recently purchased some Kato Unitrack switches (turnouts) and am planning on using dpdt momentary toggles, not the blue box machines Kato make. I will mount on a control panel, but am wondering...if I have a seperate model power transformer (that come in RTR...
  10. N

proper weight for a 42 ft flatcar

Hey: I have a Red Caboose 42 ft. flatcar, & put MT trucks/couplers on it, but it has no load, and is VERY light. What is the proper weight for a car like this ? What should I do to make it weigh better ? Simply place a load on it ?? And are the MT 50 ft flats with a load of some sort better...
  11. N

advice needed BEFORE the water is poured

HELP !! Here is my dilemma.... I have pink 2 inch foamboard down over a hardcoated plastic table. I cut out a "U" shape pattern of the foam where I want a lake/inlet to be. Over the plastic I placed a plywood 1/4 inch piece of wood for the lake floor, so the water would be poured over the...
  12. N

Steve Jobs' innovation needed in model railroading !

With the recent passing of computer (among other tech devices) pioneer Steve Jobs, I got to thinking how the model railtroading community, and the hobby in general, could benefit from abstract innovators like him in OUR hobby. The possibilities are endless, from bulletproof uncoupling (right...
  13. N

measurements, please !!

Does anyone know offhand the rough approximation of the distance between the bottom of a truss (or girder) bridge, and the surface of the lake (or river) water. I know in "real life" it varies, but what is the norm ?? I'm using a Kato truss bridge, and want it to look right. Thanks, before...
  14. N

kato crossover track stalling ??

hello n scalers: has anyone experienced stalling over Kato Unitrack's single crossover track ? I notice the frogs are plastic (insulated), and I will be using a short wheel-base loco (Kato NW2). Will this present a problem ?? I only ask BEFORE I lay out and assemble and run quite a...
  15. N

simple questions needs simple answer

Do the couplers supplied with the Kato N NW2 loco (or any Kato N loco's for that matter) work with the between-the-ties Kato uncoupler (short track) ???? Or do I need to convert to Micro Trains couplers ?? My freight cars are exclusively Micro Trains, but I dont wanna change the loco's...
  16. N

how to (or should I) attach Kato track to board?

What is the opinion out there as to whether permanently attach kato unitrack to the foamboard base ?? I have watched that Micheal Gross-led video where they show the track being glued down with liguid nails, but I may want to make changes, or, heaven-forbid, what if a switch machine goes How...
  17. N

linoleum paste for mountains still ??

Anyone out there know if linoleum paste is still available ? I used it about 30 years ago over wire screen on my HO layout, and it was great. I simply spread it on with a wide knife, then applied ground foam almost right away. Rock outcroppings were done prior with plaster of paris. I can only...
  18. N

uncoupling in N (with kato unitrack)

hello all: My questions regarding switches, power routing, etc. have been fantastically responded to, now its on to uncouplers. I am wondering what fellow modellers experience(s) are with the Kato "in-track" magnets. I have one and am planning on putting it on a spur, prior to an additional...
  19. N

unitrack (N) track powering question

Hi: As simplistic as Kato N unitrack should be, I am somewhat confused as to the "power-routed" switches. I get the fact that when they're power-routed, power goes to the "switched" siding, and when not, that siding is dead, however, what is all this about "not powering track THROUGH the...
  20. N

a question regarding kato unitrack switch machines

hello to all: new to n scale, I have purchased 4 kato turnouts, but am wondering , can they be used with those "trainset" power packs, if I want to keep my MRC pack for train running only ? And do they operate on ac or dc power ? I'm confused, as Kato offer a ac/dc "adapter" to use... I DONT...

Back