Search results

1. russell

N Scale Sound Locomotives

Has anyone bought these Athearn locomotives that are DCC with sound? If yes, how do they run? Do they keep running well after some use? Any meltdowns? I heard them in a hobby shop on the test track and was impressed by the sound. Hoping or some news :).
  2. russell

Which decoder should I get

I have an Atlas Silver-Master GP40 locomotive which Atlas describes as DCC ready. See the photo below. Also, I plan on getting a NCE Power Cab. What sound decoder should I get for an easy installation? Also, will programming the decoder be a problem with the Power Cab? Is my hope for EASY...
  3. russell

Boston Model Train Shops

I will be in the Boston area in early April. Does anyone know of good Boston Train Shops or even local internet shops especially for n-scale? I'd like to buy some items without paying shipping and Canadian border taxes. :) Thanks.
  4. russell

He who hesitates is ..... Careful

Until a few days ago I had become intrigued by the idea of switching to N-scale with Kato Unitrack and with DCC. Whether or not I'll jump ship to N-scale is still a question mark. I could just get sound for my two Atlas DCC Ready locomotives and enjoy my small HO layout. But then I took a...
  5. russell

Kato Unitrack Questions

I'm thinking of changing to Unitrack and have some questions about how it will work. Hope some of you can help. 1. Since each length of track is one solid piece, how do create grades without having a sharp angle where two tracks join up? 2. Do the unitracks undo easily? Is a special tool...
  6. russell

Couplers -which to get?

Intro: I’m new, but not really, to the hobby. About 25 years ago I had a simple layout for my teenage boys and a bit later for my daughter. When they moved on to other things, I packed it all up and put it away in boxes. Now I’m a grandfather and retired and so I’ve taken it all out again for...

Back