Search results

1. B

Modeling large bodies of water

On my new N-scale layout I have about 18 sq.ft of water to model. The bulk of which is one 2'x6' bay inlet. The water here would be choppy and definitely not still and smooth. Envirotex and other materials would cost a fortune so I am looking for a cheaper way. I looked at the pre-done sheets by...
  2. B

Track clearance

I am in the middle of installing my sub-roadbed on my N-scale layout. I am using 1/4" luann strips cut to hold Kato Unitrack. In one area of my layout I have a bridge that crosses the track over another track. My overall plan will be to have intermodal at some point after layout is running. I do...
  3. B

N Scale is so lonely

Guys, How many of you find the desire to run trains with others but can't seem to find guys in your scale? Other than the Ntrak clubs, I can't find anyone who even runs N Scale. I have a nice 18x18 foot garage with which to start a new layout and can't find 1 N Scale guy in the whole town...
  4. B

N scale engine amps

Anyone know where I can find the operating amps for Atlas engines? Need to determine what size power supply to buy for my DCC system. I know how many trains I want to run, just need to figure out the amps combined. Thanks, Jeff
  5. B

Need quick help

I am wiring my layout at the moment with dc. I am using kato unitrack with their unijoiner track feeders. This is a double loop dogbone with single track for about 4' going over a bridge. I have 2 cab control with 18 blocks using spdt toggles. The kato turnouts are power routing and have gaps at...
  6. B

Envirotex problems

I am in the middle of doing the waterfront scene for my layout. It consist of a canal emptying into a larger body of water. The larger body is designed to be about 3/8" deep. My problem is I have poured my first layer, which is about half the depth the pour will be. After 3 weeks, it is still...
  7. B

Post show observation

This month I had the ability to travel to 4 different shows on the east coast. I walked around each show hunting for those good deals I was used to finding at shows when I was in trains years ago. They just don't exist anymore hardly. It seems as though there is a revolving cycle that doesn't...
  8. B

Railfan trip

So, I'm gonna head out of Central Ohio tomorrow enroute to Baltimore Md for the train show. My plan is to take 70 east to Ohio river and head north up by the old Wheeling/Pitt steel mill and into Steubenville. I'll cross the river and head over to Weirton and check out whats left of the mill...
  9. B

DCC to fit my needs.

I have an Nscale layout 4'x24' island style wired for common rail block control with 2 cabs. I have come to a point where I want to get running. I am looking at the Crest train engineer wireless system or 2 MRC control master 20's to fill my needs. I have no interest in sound or detection or...
  10. B

Hardshell scenery problem

I am starting my base forms for my mountain scenery. I am using the screen method and the plaster soaked paper. My problem is when I put on the first layer of "wet" paper, it dried and peeled up. It isn't sticking to the screen. What am I doing wrong or is this common? This will be the second...
  11. B

Bachman loco question

Hi, I just got a Bachman 4-8-4J from my wife as a present. It is the yellow gift box one listed as "Limited Edition". This was from dealer new stock. Upon removing it from the box, I placed it on the track and it doesn't run. I inspected it and noticed the 2 little wires on the back bogie...
  12. B

Forum sales and Paypal

Question for those of you who sell on these forums and have buyers use paypal for payment. I just sold an item the other day and my buyer paid me with paypal. Today I notice the funds for that sale are on hold for 14 days. I can get it quicker by adding my shipping info, but not for at least 7...
  13. B

Unitrack question

I am building an island layout 4' wide by 22' long. I have Atlas flex-track and a mixture of Atlas and Peco switches. I purchased several of the unitrack bridges and the transition pieces. I love the conections it has. I looked into switching track to all unitrack. With the replacement switches...
  14. B

Not sure what forum

I am looking for some info on bridges. I need to know if you would find plate girder or deck girder bridges sitting on top of wooden trestle bents in the 80's. I want to build a long bridge and I like both aspects of the wood and steel bridge concept. Just don't know if you would see it. It...
  15. B

wiring question (reverse loop)

I am working on the design for my new layout and have a wiring question. My plan calls for a 16x16 foot l-shape layout. it will be a folded dogbone design. One end will have 2 return ovals stacked with an upper and lower level. It will appear that I have a double mainline on both the upper and...
  16. B

Now I'm confused. ? about Conrail.

I thought, and I could be wrong, that Conrail was bought out by both CSX and NS. In another of my threads someone posted something that now has me puzzled. Did that not happen? I am in Ohio and in the town I live in the local switching is done by Conrail Geeps, but they are remark for CSX...
  17. B

Atlas Gold or Silver

What is the difference? One sells for alot more than the other. I am searching ebay for locos available in HO in the RF&P which I have chosen to model and found both of these brand locos listed. I also found some others but those 2 caught my eye due to price. So what is the difference? Jeff
  18. B

how did you pick a rail line

I am curious how you picked the line you chose. Was it the color, the scenery it ran through, being familier with it, seeing it everyday or what. I know that may have to be my first decision here and I am curious how others made theirs. Jeff
  19. B

Returning after 10 year hiatus. Looking for Oh. modelers

Hi guys, I am looking to get back into model trains after a long 10 year period away. I am not sure if I will be doing HO or N. I will have the space for either. I have to research things as the prices are alot higher than I remember. Plus some of the brands I used to buy have disappeared...

Back