Search results

1. S

Resounding a Digitrax decoder

Reading, I had this problem as well. You need to set CV60 to a value of 1. Setting CV60 to 0 makes it sound like steam, a 1 makes it diesel. search Digitrax website, or one of the Yahoo Digitrax groups and that should point you in the right direction. best, Scott
  2. S

Athearn AMD-103 Sound Decoder

Greetings to the Board! I have recently purchased a pair of Athearn Collectible AMD-103's. New in the box, not run at all (except for Athearn breakin). I'd like to run sound, but that is the issue. On Soundtraxx site and what I've read it looks like two different decoders work. The 828038...
  3. S

Replacement metal wheels

Ted, I have used that little reamer tool and absolutely swear by it! Wow. I've been changing out all my old plastic wheels for new metal ones. I used to replace and test roll, now I remove the old, run that reamer in both ends of both sets of trucks and you would not believe the way they roll...
  4. S

Repowering a Life Like BL2

Greetings to the Board! I've gotten myself into a pickle. But short story is: I have a Life Like BL2. Still has original open frame motor and standard lights. I has cracked axles and I'm ready to fix that. My question is, I'd like to repower this loco with a can motor, but I'm confused...
  5. S

Athearn Genesis SD75M Lighting Question

Greetings to the board! I am finally getting around to fixing broken locomotives. My current project (guess I should post pictures) is an Athearn Genesis SD75M, Warbonnet type, 8270. I did some research and found out that the reason my loco ran terrible is that the trucks were warped. I...
  6. S

Painting White

Thank you Carey and Joe! That does clear up some things. I do like the practice bit on just poster board. Though I do have a fair amount of cars/loco's to paint. it would be easier to practice on a poster board. When I did shoot the actual covered hopper, that was my first car ever, the...
  7. S

Painting White

Greetings to the Board! I'm having issues and I thought what better place to ask questions, than this forum. This is my first foray into painting, so.... I'm learning as I go. I have several Athearn GP-XX shells I prepped and am in the process of painting. I did the strip all the old paint...
  8. S

Installing Soundtraxxx Tsunami TSU-1000

Personal Experience with Proto 2000 GP38-2 Promagstyle, I agree with others in this thread. You've picked a beauty to start off with! It's tough. My experience (your mileage may vary): A Proto 2000 GP38-2, the weight in it looks like the GP7. Fills every available spot. wiring with mine...
  9. S

Ditch light instalation

Mark G I'm trying my hand at changing lamps to LED's. Seemed simple enough. It's a Proto 2000 GP38-2. The infamous ones where the decoder burns up because the lights are wired wrong. I fixed the wiring, the decoder is safe (Digitrax DH165LO) and I thought putting a small brass tube in to hold...
  10. S

Norfolk Southern question

Mark, those look SWEEEEEEET! Wow. Can you tell us how you started, what parts, is it DCC or DC, that sort of thing. Do you have in progress pictures? Scott (Those are awesome!)
  11. S

Ron I did find that out today as well. The shells for the Genesis loco's are held on by tabs that are part of the porthole transparencies. The RTR is is just a few tabs near the fuel tank. I'm going to see if I can order some A and B bodies from my LHS (Chesterfield Hobbies in Richmond)...
  12. S

This is a timely thread as I'm interested in trying my hand at detailing the Norfolk Southern Executive locomotives (and cars eventually) for my sons layout. I have an A-B unit, (both powered) Athearn Genesis with sound, F-7 Phase 2, (NYC bodies) and I have an A-B unit of the RTR Athearn...
  13. S

Placement & Numbers of speakers

Greetings to the Board! I'm running a Proto 2000 E6A and E6B unit. The A unit is powered, the B is not. I've installed a Tsunami decoder, speaker and done the wiring, but it's still really tight to put the shell back on the frame. In fact it doesn't fit. In reviewing the frame, I don't...
  14. S

Soundtraxx SDN144PS

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these? I know they are fairly new, but I'm eyeing them to possibly put into a P2K GP38-2. Scott (thanks, it is Digitrax not Soundtraxx!)
  15. S

A quick and easy DCC install (lots of pictures)

SoundTraxx GN1000 I've installed the TSU-GN1000 in two of my Athearn Genesis F7's. I am really happy with them. The initial install was lots of trial and trial, but all in all I'm happy. I'll post pictures shortly. My one question is, I noticed two RED led's on the decoder itself. One looks...
  16. S

GP38-2 (install sound) or go to GP40-2

Thanks! I hadn't thought of swapping the whole chassis. I'll look into that. (I did notice that the gears are thicker in the Atlas and thinner in the Proto)
  17. S

diburning. I am not sure what caused or helped the cause. The gears inside the trucks, even clean did okay, but were not smooth. I did polish them, but they seemed to "wobble" even when the truck was snapped together. The worm gear didn't have any burrs or anything. I cleaned and lubed according...
  18. S

Thank you for the feedback. I should explain myself better. Yes, The Proto frame and lead wight fill every nook and cranny under this shell. My original project was to solve the running gear issue with the Proto. It was extremely draggy, did not move at low throttle and really was...
  19. S

Just looking for some feedback. I'm working on 2 Proto GP38-2's. I've placed Atlas trucks on them, changed drive shafts, cleaned them up a bunch and was wondering about sound. they have Digitrax DH163L0 in them. I know I have to change the decoder. But I've read a far amount of items saying...
  20. S

Older Athearn SW7 questions

To: paulmann1 (SW7 parts) Sadly, I do not have an exploded view of the SW7. Plus tonight I found out that the axles I have are cracked, so again to the drawing board. By the time I'm done with this project, I could have bought a new MDC15! Pictures to follow. Scott Virginia Beach, Va

Back