Search results

1. 4

Some new weathering projects

Two recently weathered pieces of rolling stock. The Railbox is done with chalks and the Autorack is mostly chalks with some paint used. I used graffiti decals on the auto rack. What'dya think?
  2. 4

XtrakCad for Mac with Lion

Hi guys, I just got a new Macbook Pro. I bought it so I could run the backdrop biz while on the road for work but I am also hoping tun XtrakCad on it to design parts of the new layout. Unfortunately, the XtrakCad seems to be having a problem running on my Lion operating system. i was...
  3. 4

Too many locos?

So I have been paying attention to the prototype I am looking to model (The Berskshire Sub) of CSX line between Boston and Albany. I have noticed the Amtrak service that d=goes through. I think it is a part of the Lakeshore Limited but not certain. Anyway, I notice it often runs with three...
  4. 4

Dealer Discounts

I don't know where to post this so if there is a better spot maybe the mods can move it to the appropriate location. For now, I was approached yesterday by a dealer who may be interested in carrying my work. This would be great. I am not sure what kind of discount to give him though. Is...
  5. 4

Athearn DCC ready locos

So I have been told that the Athearn locos that are DCC ready have some issue with the wheels. Basically that because they used a cheaper metal the wheels actually cause small sparks and lead to damage to the track over time. Anyone have any experience with this?
  6. 4

Looking for ground throws

Hey guys, I saw these yellow ground throws a while back and haven't seen them since. They are simply a yellow handle almost like a rounded inverted triangle. The Boston Line over here has them as does the Pioneer Valley RR. I don't know where I saw them or what name they would have. Any...
  7. 4

MRC Prodigy Advance and Programming a decoder

SO I just hooked up my MRC system to the program track. Main wires will be run next. I installed an MRC sound and motion decoder into an Athearn RTR loco. I thought I had followed the instructions in the manual but nothing is happening. I ran a loco with a decoder factory installed and it...
  8. 4

New SHelf Layout Plans

So here is the new layout plan. I am hoping for some comments as to what problems you foresee and how to fix them. The goal is to simulate a few industries. The biggest industry on the left is a coal loading operation. THis will feature a coal loader of some sort. This area will be raised a...
  9. 4

Shelf Layout Ideas

Hi guys, I just buiolt a bookshelf for my wife in the basement and wouldn't you know it there was plenty of room to put a shelf under that but we ran out of books. Looks like I have a place to start a little layout. I have never designed a shelf layout and am looking for ideas. I saw a guy...
  10. 4

Coal Plant Module

Hi folks, For the new layout I am going to include a coal power plant. There are not many of these in my area that I know of but I have a bunch of coal cars with no real purpose. So far I have included a track for full hoppers, a track for empties, a track for pushing cars through an...
  11. 4

Hidden Staging

i am looking to include a return loop underneath the main line on the new layout. This will be hidden staging and a hidden loop to allow for continuous running when not in an operating scheme. The beginning of the line will be at say 45" and will climb a grade so that a return line beneath it...
  12. 4

Ideas or comments

New layout is going into a new room which is about 8.5 ft. by 20.5 ft. This is the idea I have come up with. Basicallyu looking to maximize mainline run with a point to point kind of operating ability. Industries and stuff will be added later. At top right the main line continues back into...
  13. 4

Coupler problems

I got a new locomotive the other day and a few pieces of rolling stock. The big problem I am having is that the coupler on the locomotive seems to not have enough range of motion and ends up pulling the following car off the tracks. This seems to be ocurring when it is going through a turnout...
  14. 4

photo backdrops

I was looking to make some of my own photo backdrops for my railroad and it has made me wonder what the marketability of such a product would be. I would like some opinions on what kind of price someone would be willing to pay for a photo backdrop. The size would likely be 18" x 36" or 24" x...
  15. 4

Club near Westfield, MA

Looking for a club near Westfield, Mass. I know there is a group in manchester, CO but its a bit too far to drive. Anything nearby anyone knows about? I have a lot to learn and clubs seem like the way to go.
  16. 4

Modular Layout

Anyone got any suggestions for building a modular layout? I am going to start construction on the new layout early in the new year. i am envisioning somehting that I can build in 4 to 6 foot modules so that when we eventually move I can easily move the layout and rebuild it in a new spot. I...
  17. 4

Looking for Ballast Cars

So I'm looking for ballast cars that are orange with CSX markings. I am looking to model the trap rock industry in Westfield, MA. As I understand it this quarry supplies much of the ballast used throughout the northeast and will be a perfect inclusion in my model of the Boston and Albany...
  18. 4

Modeling a Prototype

Hi folks, I have asked a few questions along this line before but here is a specific one. I would like, eventually, to model the Berkshire subdivision of the CSX Boston and Albany Line. I am imaining a two tiered, point to point layout connected with a helix at the end of a peninsula with...
  19. 4

Terminal Bus bar or Strip

Anyone know where to find a terminal bus bar or strip. Or does anyone know how to make one. Went to Radio Shack and Home Depot and they looked at me like I had two heads. Thanks
  20. 4

Tortoise and LEDs

Hi folks, Another newbie qqestion. I am planning on installing three tortoise switch machines on the layout. What I would like is that when the switches are in the mainline position a green LED on my control panel will illuminate and when the switch is in the turnout position an LED will...

Back