Search results

1. W

My "retro" HO-scale layout!

I have mentioned that I am both a (currently) budgeted model railroader, and that I also enjoy classic HO-scale train stuff (especially from Life-Like, Atlas, Tyco and Bachmann.) So I thought that for my basement model train layout I can use a lot of that stuff, yet still continuously update it...
  2. W

Are Life-Like's current train sets the spiritual successor of Tyco's?

Looking at the various HO-scale train sets Life-Like is currently offering made me think of something: http://www.walthers.com/exec/page/lifelike2010/lifelike_sets They actually do remind me quite a bit of Tyco's train set offerings of the late 1980s and early 1990s, but then again...
  3. W

A sample of Life-Like's train set offerings in the mid/late-1990s...

A while back I found my old "Life-Like Basics for Beginners: 10th Edition" booklet that came with my "Railroad Empire" Life-Like HO-scale train set that pretty much started my railroad layout (a deluxe top-of-the-line set, same as the "Diesel Driver" currently offered but with a Santa Fe GP38-2...
  4. W

Tyco crossing signal help

I recently got an interesting vintage accessory for my HO-scale model railroad layout. It is the early 1980s Tyco lighted crossing signal: It is designed so when a train passes over it, the lights flash in an alternating manner like a real crossing (albeit rather fast), and a small wind-up...
  5. W

Upgrade couplers on Life-Like trains?

I have a lot of Life-Like locomotives and rolling stock that still use horn-hook couplers. Now I'm currently somewhat of a budget model railroader, which is why I usually go for Life-Like's non-proto stuff (I guess because many of them are somewhat retro?) I have been using the horn-hook...
  6. W

Classic HO-scale "operating crossing gates"

This is a type of accessory I always found interesting. It's a very simple premise: there is a track section with a small weight mechanism so when the train goes over it, the crossing gate lowers as the train passes over it, then raises up again when the train has passed. Now the result usually...
  7. W

Lionel 2035 on Gumby!

Here is the classic 1957 Gumby episode "Train Trouble," which prominently features two model trains in it. One is some kind of 0-4-0 HO-scale steam locomotive; IDK what company it is. The other I DO know what it is; it's an O-scale 2-6-4 post-war Lionel steam locomotive! (The cab number is 2035...
  8. W

Older Life-Like train sets updated/renamed?

I was recently going through the HO Scale Train Resource website and the older 10th edition of the "Basics for Beginners" model railroading booklet (which I got with my "Railroad Empire" set almost a decade ago), I noticed that some of the older Life-Like Products HO-scale train sets have either...
  9. W

O-scale trains on "Davey and Goliath"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-3KpN1ot3Y The trains are first shown at 7:00. First one looks like an undercoated Lionel diesel of some sort pushing a boxcar. Then Davey climbs into an NB refrigerator car and gets trapped inside. The steam engine pulling the train Davey hops on first appears...

Back