Search results

1. H

My 4 x 8 layout

Chris, My layout is a modified version of the original great western trunk. I did not buy the tracl kit, I ordered each track pieces instead. For my layout, I used more than 1 and a half box of Midwest #3013 cork (25 pcs each) Unfortunately, I don't have other pics of the wiring. I just...
  2. H

Slr 3205 gp-40

Very nice ditch lights ! I will definitively look for this option instead of using bulbs.
  3. H

Slr 3205 gp-40

I added rear ditch lights and receptacles.
  4. H

Slr 3205 gp-40

Thanks, I will look for a PL-303 plow. I think some SLR loco use Natan K5 but this one seem to be different. Yes the ditch light will be lit with bulbs. I will run the wires trough a hole in the pilot. I glue the bulb with Pacer canopy glue so they can be removed easily. There is no easy...
  5. H

Slr 3205 gp-40

I installed the bell, the Pyle nose light, the front ditch lights and receptacles assembly. Next, I will install ditch lights and receptacle to the rear of the locomotive. I'm still searching for the correct snow plow and air horn parts. Not sure what to get exactly.
  6. H

Slr 3205 gp-40

Thanks for the advice Jerome. I had the same issue with Microscale CN decals in the past so I assume it may happen with all brand of decals.
  7. H

Slr 3205 gp-40

Chassis is primed an ready for the grimy black paint.
  8. H

Slr 3205 gp-40

The paint scheme will not be too hard to do since I got a nice set of decals with black strips :) The model history : Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad - CRI&P 377 Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad - CRI&P 3001 GO Transit 723 EMD Lease - EML 202 Locomotive Leasing...
  9. H

Slr 3205 gp-40

I made a scratchbuilt retention tank which is a little larger than the prototype but I decided to keep it that way. Once painted black it should be less apparent. I have now completed the detailing of the chassis. I'm now ready for priming and painting. Thats it for now, I need a break :D
  10. H

Slr 3205 gp-40

Fuel tank detailing almost finish. Next, I will build and install a retention tank at the back of the fuel tank.
  11. H

Slr 3205 gp-40

Hi everyone, I started adding details to the fuel tank and its not an easy task with Atlas locos since there is not a lot of space under the chassis. I installed traction cable but I add to squeeze them behind tubing and air tank to make them fit properly. I also found a drawing of my...
  12. H

Slr 3205 gp-40

Thanks for the info about the Hi-Tech product.
  13. H

Slr 3205 gp-40

Here is my Atlas GP-40 with Details West AP-356 Adaptor plate & Blomberg sideframes. They look more accurate than the oversized Atlas sideframes. I followed Brian Banna instructions for the conversion at http://www.6axlepwr.com/SIDE_FRAME_CONVERSION.html And it work pretty well, my trucks...
  14. H

22" radius on a 4x8?

Very nice analysis Stein. You're right about the limitation of a 4 x 8 layout. Also, I want to mention that you rarely see only one loco on a train so in 4 x 8 format you cannot setup a consist of two or three 6-axles locos plus 85' foot cars that won't fit on that format. I limited...
  15. H

Slr 3205 gp-40

Here is a picture of the prototype I use for this project: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=31815&nseq=2
  16. H

Slr 3205 gp-40

I started a new locomotive project of a St-Lawrence & Atlantic GP-40 road # 3205. I'm using an Atlas undecorated GP-40 model. I shortened the fuel tank to 3200 gal., I removed the top headlights, I made small wedges above the road number on the front of the cab and also modified the...
  17. H

EMD GP40 3000 and 3200 gal. fuel tanks ?

Thanks for the info Jeff. Is there any chance that your friend can measure the length of a 3200 gal. tanks ? :D
  18. H

You have a very nice model Jerome. I will built mine from an Atlas #8900 undecorated GP40. I'm running a DC layout so I bought the Atlas model to get a smooth running loco that I plan to use as main power in multiple dummy setup. It will also be easier to shorten the fuel tank since...
  19. H

I'm starting a St-Lawrence and Atlantic GP40 locomotive project and according to a picture of the real locomotive, the fuel tank is not the usual 2600 or 3600 gal found on the GP40. http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=31815&nseq=1 Its a little bit shorter than a 3600 gal. but...
  20. H

Electric lock switches (Details West Interlocking switch)

Interesting picture ! I assume the switch actuator is still connected to CTC in manual mode so the dispatcher always know the points position ?

Back