Search results

1. S

Model Railroaders Helping Underprivileged Kids

I have one brand new Spectrum and possibly another, and finally an older Spectrum, all steam locomotives, that I am willing to give to underprivileged kids. The older one definitely needs minor repair to make it operational. Is there a model railroad benevolent organization that works with...
  2. S

Railroad Lines

How many lines do you guys run? I have two: ATSF & Union Pacific. I chose them because I live a stone's throw from Cajon Pass, and BNSF & UP are the two lines using the three sets of tracks there. In fact, I have been seeing lots of UP consists, the most frequent was today, that have rolling...
  3. S

Displaying Locomotives

I just bought a curio cabinet. I placed my locomotives upon E-Z Track inside of it. Will displaying my locomotives upon track cause them any harm? Thanks so much, Tom
  4. S

Minimum Radii

I have a Blueline ATSF 4-8-4. According to BLI specs, this locomotive will operate on minimum 18" radius. I tried it on such small radius, and while it will run it does not do so efficiently. I just received a new Genesis UP FEF 4-8-4. Athearn's specs indicate a minimum 22" radius for this...
  5. S

Competition Steaming Up

How does Genesis steam stack up against BLI steam? I have a Blueline Northern that I really enjoy. As of now it is the only steam locomotive of quality that I own. I just bought a Genesis 4-8-4 UP DCC coal fired. I should receive it in about a week. How will the Genesis compare with the Blueline...
  6. S

Serendipitous

There's a kid who comes by my classroom, initially to visit another student. This kid is not one of my students. She's extremely polite and well-mannered. She has repeatedly offered to help with classroom chores. I took a liking to her charming personality. I did in fact indulge her offer to...
  7. S

Marklin Passenger Cars

I am thinking of buying a set of Marklin Passenger cars. I like that they are constructed of aluminum. They are expensive, so before I buy them I'd like to how as much about them as possible. Anyone have an opinion of these cars? Are they lighted? If so, how does the lighting work? Off track...
  8. S

Attraction

What attracted you guys to model railroading? I am not completely sure why I am so attracted to model railroading. Maybe it's my romantic attraction to bucolic America: American ingenuity, adventuresome, indomitable, chivalrous, Teddy Roosevelt (my second favorite president), fearless (steam...
  9. S

Marketing Strategy

As you experienced model railroaders are able to discern, when it comes to this wonderful hobby I am a neophyte at best. From what I have been able to glean to this point, manufacturers appear to market a product, say, locomotive, for a given period of time and then discontinue it. In short, one...
  10. S

Sounding too Complicated

I am trying to get this straight. I never thought HO model railroading could be complicated and overwhelming. I have been researching locomotive sound. If I were to buy Tsunami systems for my Genesis F-7 locomotives, does the unit come with DCC capability? In other words, will the Tsunami sound...
  11. S

Code Stability

Which track code offers maximum locomotive stability? In other words, would Code 83 be more likely than Code 100 to prevent derailments? Or is there no difference in stability between the two codes? Thanks, Tom
  12. S

Code Bachmann

What code is Bachmann E-Z Track? I was told it's Code 100, but for some reason I do not think that's correct. Thanks, Tom
  13. S

Stock Question

Let's assume I buy Athearn rolling stock like I just did. And let's assume I buy Intermountain rolling stock, like I just did. Why is Intermountain worth twice the money? Wouldn't I be way ahead of the game buying Athearn and installing Kadee 148 Whisker couplers? I have about 25 Athearn...
  14. S

HO Turnouts with 24" Radius

If you were going to construct a layout with 24" radii, what size turnout would be appropriate? I was thinking of going with an 8, but maybe a 6 might be better. And would Electrofrog (sp?) or Insulfrog (sp) be better? I am considering Micro Engineering flex-track with Peco turnouts. By...
  15. S

Roundhouse 4-6-2 Pacific

Anyone familiar with Roundhouse steam locomotives? Roundhouse is now a subsidiary of Athearn. I've been emailing Athearn. I wrote that I was in the market for a good-quality 4-6-2. In Atheran's reply, it was explained that the new Roundhouse is an upgraded version of the Genesis 4-6-2. If this...
  16. S

Silence is Golden...

But I want locomotive noises!!! I am intrigued by the sounds of my new Blueline ATSF 4-8-4. Now I want sound from my two Genesis F-7 locomotives. How difficult will it be to achieve it? Are DCC sound decoders difficult to install? Will I have to buy Athearn decoders or will those of other...
  17. S

Athearn 1000/1500 Diesel Locomotive

About ten years ago I bought my then six-year-old son an Athearn starter set. It came with what I believe to be a switcher locomotive. It's a BNSF with a rear-mounter cab. After all that time it still runs great. In fact, it might just be the fastest locomotive we own. Does anyone know anything...
  18. S

John Wayne's "Red River"

When I reflect upon my favorite movies, "Red River" is not just one of my favorite westerns, it's one of my favorite movies, period! It's a western adaptation of "Mutiny on the Bounty". I have used this movie to teach ethics because it profoundly contrasts one's ethical responsibility to...
  19. S

Broadway Limited

Sorry about all the questions, but I might be spending money tomorrow. Can anyone please explain the difference between BLI, Blueline, and Paragon2 locomotives for me? I am seeking information in terms of quality. Thanks so much, ST
  20. S

Atlas Locomotives

My hobby shop dealer sells Atlas locomotives. How are they? I have been extremely pleased with Athearn Genesis. Should I consider Atlas? I live not too far from the Cajon Pass where BNSF is common. I am considering a decent diesel locomotive beading this road name. I am considering an Atlas...

Back