Search results

1. I

Google street view on a rail line

Hi all, I'm planning a trip to Europe in July and would like to take a ride on the narrow gauge Rhaetian Railway in Switzerland. A very scenic spot is the Landwasser viaduct, so I googled it and to my surprise Google maps has a street view version of the rail line. Looks like they put a...
  2. I

Opinions on Table-top Milling machine

Anyone here used the Proxxon MF-70 table-top milling machine? I'm wondering if it's more of a toy or if it's useful for small machining jobs? Thanks, Gord
  3. I

Applying small droplets of CA, what do you use?

Interested to hear what others use to apply small amounts of CA. I have tried a few different methods to apply a small amount of CA adhesive, only one so far has worked well. I tried a ground needle (opening eye of needle to hold CA), worked sometimes, but very hard to apply a small dot of...
  4. I

Looking for special single edged razor blade

Hi all, I'm trying to find a single edged razor blade that is honed only on one side, like the Xacto #18 Chisel Blade. Problem with standard single edged razor blades is they cut a V so there is a slope on both the cutoff piece and the stock piece. With a blade honed only on one side, the...
  5. I

Useful Dollar store finds

Anyone found any useful model railroading supplies or tools at the dollar store?
  6. I

EBay 1 Click Bid

Anyone here know how this new feature on EBay works? Does it raise your bid 1 step more than the current highest bid or just one step higher than your previous maximum bid. Didn't have any luck finding an explanation on EBay. Hope someone can help out Thanks
  7. I

OMI Cisco Bridge

Hi all, Back around the year 2000, Overland models released a Brass HO model of the CN Cisco Bridge (in Fraser Canyon BC). A very nice model based on the model built by Doug Hole of Sorrento BC. The entire span was 810 feet and the arch span was 425 feet. I think they sold about 50 of the...
  8. I

Stone Arch Abutments

Here are a few pics of a bridge that was once used on the CPR Laggan Sub prior to completion of the CPR Spiral tunnels. At some point it was converted to a road bridge, and although still standing, it is no longer in use. The bridge is located just west of Wapta lake in British Columbia, Canada.
  9. I

Stoney Creek Bridge

Hiked up to the Stoney Creek Bridge this weekend to get some photos of the Bridge. Just my luck, they have put a barrier across the access road so now you have to hike all the way from the Highway, not too bad, about 3 miles or so, but in bear country. Anyway here are a few shots that may...
  10. I

No Guard Rails

Prior to taking this photo, I had never seen a self-guarding frog, notice the absence of guard rails
  11. I

Steel Arch Bridge (Partially Completed)

Hi all, Here's a pic of a steel arch bridge I'm currently working on (HO scale). It's modelled from an 1899 photograph of a bridge on the CPR Mountain Sub. It was last used in 1929 when one of its approach spans collapsed. The Protoype main span was 290 feet, the model here is 200 feet and...
  12. I

At what point is what your building good enough for you?

Hi all, I'd like to get some feedback as to what lengths some of you go to, to make what your building as perfect as possible. I am making a master for a cast-resin mold, and because I will be casting many of the same part I would like to get it as perfect as I can. I have limited tools...
  13. I

Home Built 4 Inch Table saw

Hi all, Thought I would share some pics and info on a 4 inch table saw I built a while ago. This is my third attempt, first attempt didn't work very well and I managed to cut a nice slot into two of my finger tips with it (it just used a steel ruler with a couple of slots as a fence so it was...
  14. I

Building a 1 Inch Table Saw

Hi all, Well it all started when I found a need to cut some very thin accurately spaced slots for a resin-casting master part (Lattice bridge girder to be exact). I tried using a razor saw but the results were less than perfect. So I decided to spenf a few hours (actually quite a few...
  15. I

Anyone interested in how I built a small table saw

Hi all, I'm new to the forum here and am not sure which forum is the best one for the above topic. I built a couple of small table saws, one with a 4 inch blade and another with a 1 inch blade that I use for cutting small slots in wood or plastic. So if anyone is interested, let me...
  16. I

Tip: Scale Graph Paper

Hi all, I just found a site that lets me print graph paper in HO scale feet (well can be any scale but I need HO scale). I do hand drawn plans and having graph paper with scale 1 foot HO squares makes drawing plans that much easier. This site lets you enter parameters, then generates a...

Back