Search results

1. N

Small HO Track plan Switching Layout suggestions needed

I am by nature an o scaler but I am moving at the end of the year so I don't want to start on anything in o. I do however want to build a small ho scale layout. I was thinking along the lines of 2x4 to maybe 2x8 at the largest. I don't want a loop, I was thinking more of a small point to point...
  2. N

Triang Budd Cars?

I just picked up a box of Triang Budd passengercars it is a set of 6. They are silver with a black stripe marked CN. It looks to be the entire set, there is an observation, baggage, engine , dummy and passengers. The couplers look nothing like and other ho train ive seen, they are a hook and...
  3. N

Backdrop Painting Tips?

Im attempting my first backdrop, I put the sky color down and tried at some mountains but im less than satisfied. What are some techniques that you used for backdrops. Im especially interested in your mountain paintings and trees. Are there guides to use for the outlines of mountains and clouds...
  4. N

Adjusting Coupler Height?

I am new to N scale. I am really an O gauge guy but decided to try my hand at N. Anyhow, I converted a bunch of my rapido couplers to micro trains coplers. The kind that come pre-assembled attatched to the trucks. Anyway, I recently purchsed a new bachman engine (ns gp-9). The new engine comes...
  5. N

Weathering with salt?

Could someone give me the run down on weathering with salt. I seen a video on you tube. From what I understand this is to give that peeling paint look but the steps werent so clear in the video. The outcome was very nice and I would like to give it a try.
  6. N

Airbursh suggestions

I am planning on buying a new airbrush that I will use for weathering rolling stock and buildings and the occasional repaint. I know that dual action is better than single but thats where my knowledge ends. Do I want internal or external mixxing? Should I get a gravity fed airbrush. Please...
  7. N

Best way to get that dusty dirt look?

I have been trying my hand at weathering and got pretty good results at rust, sut and grime but I want to give some cars that dusty look that gathers on the bottom half of box cars after some time on the tracks. The look almost looks like a whiteish mist. Could I achieve this without an...
  8. N

dirty wheels from soldered track joints?

I have noticed that on my current n scale layout in progress I am finding myself cleaning the wheels of my engines very frequently and then I remebered that this is my first time soldering track joints. I have read that this is common practice, the track seams to be clean so I cant figure out...
  9. N

installing decoder in mantua 2-8-0 camelback

I am attempting to install a decoder in a mantua camelback 2-8-0, anyone with experiance in doing so please chime in and give me some pointers this is my first decoder installation and I dont want to burn it out. I am very unsure of whether or not I figured out how to isolate the motor from the...
  10. N

trouble with old tyco mantua gp-20

I just got my hands on an old tyco mantua gp-20 with the blue and yellow santa fe paint scheme, the engine was never run that much, I could tell by the wheels. I was considering putting a decoder in it, so before I made any modifications, I tested it to see how it ran analog. When powered the...
  11. N

power loss from remote switch

I am an o scale guy but recently started designing a small n scale layout. I hooked up my remote switches and have everything running off of the same transformer. When I hit the switch I get momentary power loss to the running engine. Is it common practice to power remore switches on a seperate...

Back