Search results

1. OBS

Mountain in progress

Sorry the pictures are a little shakey, I don't have a nice camera to use, so these are from my phone. A couple notes. I started off using a plaster mix because I'd bought some mesh with plaster mixed in that setup nicely when moistened and then laid out. Working with actual plaster was a...
  2. OBS

Lighting

I've been working on my Walthers coal mine, and before I glue the roof on, I want to wire it up for lighting. I bought some yellow LEDs (no one REALLY has white lights), but they don't emit enough light to really light the structure. What do you guys use for structure lighting?
  3. OBS

Coal Mine

I'm working on the Cornerstone Coal Mine... here's a couple weathering shots..
  4. OBS

Bring plastic together

What do y'all use to glue it together? I've been using a superglue, but it's a little messy and dries so darn quick that I end up getting 'spider webs' all over the place. I was considering a hot glue gun, but figured I'd throw it out to the pros.
  5. OBS

Brick Work

Here's my first go at trying to get some mortar lines, and time aged brick... Thoughts, suggestions?
  6. OBS

Anyone recognize this kit?

I had put this together probably 15 years ago, or more, and just dug it out of my parents attic, tore it apart and starting painting it and reassembling it. I just can't remember what it was supposed to be. I want to say it was a LifeLike, since most of the stuff I've dug out has been.
  7. OBS

Steel Mill town?

I thought I'd finally decided on an industry for my layout, but having gone through my 2008 Walthers catalog, and searching the internet, I've found NO Steel Mill sets! I must have overlooked something. Does anyone here know who's currently producing some steel mill structures? Thanks!
  8. OBS

Trains v. Structures...

ok..one last observation from my train show visit today. I noticed that the people who run the long train lines, with lots of switching and such, have pretty simple looking structures. The people who brought along highly detailed structures had little or no trains along with them. Am I right...
  9. OBS

Another new layout thread

I'd initially figured I'd do something similar to my area, I live in the remains of an old steel town and farming community. But it seems like all the layouts I see are steel mills and logging operations, and they're all amazing, but I like to be different. I also love the Art Deco style...
  10. OBS

Bachman Spectrum

Anyone familiar with this line? I was at a local train convention today and saw a few Spectrum buildings, I really like them since they were a little Art Deco-ish. They were all a little pricey for my tastes, and I saw when I got home that the line is discontinued. I can't seem to find any...
  11. OBS

Less traditional layouts?

I was browsing some Art-Deco and Steampunk sites earlier in the day, and came across this picture... I love the dark, gritty, industrial look. Has anyone done a layout devoted a genre outside the usual track-side environment- (town square, coal mine, lumber yard)?
  12. OBS

Standard Measurements

Anyone know a good resource for standard structural measurements? On my "To-Do" list is a scratch build, I know HO is 1:87, but I need to know what the 1:1 should be before I can make it 1:87. Standard 1 story structure, standard door, standard garage door, etc etc...
  13. OBS

1st model...

Looking for some input on how to fine-tune, touch-up, my first model. I'm looking for what I can improve, but also making sure I don't "over think" it. Thanks!
  14. OBS

Bandsaw problem

I figured this thread worked best in the construction forum.. I was trying to rip strips of pine on my inherited bandsaw. It used to work fine, but when the blade broke and I replaced it, I started having issues. The band blade turns inward as I push the wood through. As a result, I don't...
  15. OBS

Architectural Models

I saw some chipboard models in an architects office the other day. They weren't painted, or textured, but their attention to structural detail was so great, I almost didn't care. I did some Googling for Arch models, but found mostly firms, no hobby or how to sites. Is there any real hobby...

Back