Search results

1. N

Paper Mache?

Hmm, the Home Depot I went to only had the white kind... but then, the kid helping me didn't seem to know what I was talking about. I'm going to go look again as soon as possible.
  2. N

Paper Mache?

I have some styrofoam which we are going to use as a base. I got 2 kinds... one is the normal beady stuff that stuff gets packed in, in sheets from Home Depot but it is kind of thin. I also got some stuff from Michael's which I guess they use for flowers. It's green. It's expensive, like $10 for...
  3. N

Concept in mind, not sure how to start

We're going to have another track around the base of the mountain. So there is room for expansion. The next set we're getting, sometime in the next year or two is this: http://www.marklin.com/start/digital.html set 29680, "Gotthard" The crocodile train will run along the mountain track...
  4. N

Cool, thanks Jim. I will try that out.
  5. N

Paper Mache?

So, we have a bunch of plaster we bought, but I was wondering if anyone has tried paper mache. Paper mache, for those of you who don't remember pre-school, is ripped up newspapers. You dip it in a mixture of flour, salt, and water (the salt kills any mold that would want the flour). You use it...
  6. N

I kind of like the idea of the train disappearing and reappearing somewhere else, though. It adds a little mystery and drama. Is 18 inches recommended because the train will derail, or is it for realism purposes? What qualifies as "real small" equipment? My engine is a little less than 4...
  7. N

Getting your wife involved

I didn't see karate or judo, but I did see a sumo wrestler guy, #29005 Prieser, and a street scene in which 2 guys look like they are fighting, #10475 Prieser
  8. N

So do you think the 15 inch radius loop will be fine with my short train? I don't want it to derail in the middle of a tunnel! (Though I am going to make the mountain so that it comes off easily, for just that reason).
  9. N

Oh, I see... so it over shoots a little bit, and then can back up the next one, over shoots a little bit, goes forward up the next one. That might look weird, because it's an old-fashioned steam engine from the turn of the century. (Perfect for my tourist concept!) So the curved track that...
  10. N

Wouldn't that take up even more space than the spiral, because you'd have to work in all the hairpin turns and stuff?
  11. N

Realistic people for a modern scene

It is a Marklin train, not sure about the model number. I can't find it on the car. It looks like it might screw off, but I'm a bit worried about attempting to unscrew it then breaking it. Do you all know if unscrewing is the typical way to get the roof off?
  12. N

What's wrong with Farmer Boy is it's a diversion from the awesome adventures of Laura! I made the mistake of reading it when I was 7 when what I REALLY wanted to read was "On the Banks of Plum Creek". A De Smet railroad would be pretty cool... but there don't seem to be a lot of 1870s-1880s...
  13. N

My Model Train on Film

Wunderschoen!
  14. N

Scratch build chain link fence

Wow, it looks like a real fence!
  15. N

How do you put passengers in the trains, btw? I noticed lots of places sell passengers... but the roof of my passenger car doesn't snap off easily and I didn't want to break it, so I'm not sure it actually comes off. Would I need to develop soldering skills to put people in the car?
  16. N

That's an awesome site, thanks. They've got punkers, homeboys, an african lady, an indian lady, and an arab family! She's wearing hijab, but not the full abaya. Maybe I'll get the nuns and paint them to look like they're in abayas...
  17. N

I'm a wife and I'm getting into it. I'll tell you what hooked me... little cows! They are so cute! And the little people and houses! I was addicted to "The Sims" before, which is a computer game where you build houses and people. So it's a similar concept. I'm frankly more into the landscape...
  18. N

Hello! I'm new at all of this. We haven't even built our layout yet, but I'm already thinking about the little people. Which brand makes the nicest little people? In the store I went to, the best ones were Woodland Scenics... would you say those are the nicest people? Here's the problem...
  19. N

The inspiration is more the Chur/St Moritz branch of the Glacier Express... it DEFINITELY has weird spirals in the tunnels. But you're right, we're not going to get as much elevation as we had hoped.
  20. N

Cool, thanks for the link. They're quite pricey, but hey, my friends warned me that I was getting us into a very expensive hobby... and hey, who needs a house, retirement plan, or kids' college fund anyways? I did see one on e-bay but it is for n-guage, for two tracks... if I only wanted one...

Back