John's Loco Workbench - SP 7399 Done, now C415 Wreck!

Nearly there, it's back on its wheels and the handrails are on. Some touching up still needing before the transfers go on:
20240424_124106.jpg

If you or anyone has an extra 'Los Angeles' I could use one for my HO model of MRL 7544. It only had it on the conductor's side.

Still the odd bit to do I think but it is as good as I am going to get it:
View attachment 186905
View attachment 186906

This thread will probably become my general locomotive workbench thread at some point.

The good news is that finally a stock of Details West HL-200 headlights have appeared so a certain SD40 number 7342 is on the cards...
I've just compared this foto to one of a Proto model, and if I didn't know about the number boards I doubt I could tell the difference. amazing job.

Well, 7399 is being declared done. It will get a proper photocall the next time I dig my locomotive depot plank out of storage and it isn't raining...

7399's partner in Daylight colours, SD40 7342 is planned to be done, a donor loco is already on site but for now this thread becomes my general loco project thread and moving on to something else SP, pretty unique and in need of a fair bit of work, I recently acquired this:
20240424_153632.jpg

The box alone is probably a collectors item in itself!

This disreputable looking wreck is (admittedly an approximation of) a Alco Century C415. The most extraordinary fact about this near blind chance bid purchase is that straight out of the box, it works and works well in both directions!!

20240424_155520.jpg

20240424_155537.jpg

I intend to do a bit of work to it, sort out some of its errors (of which I keep finding more and more every time I look at it!) get the usual SP light show on the ends and then a decent coat of paint.

It comes apart easily:
20240507_132326.jpg

The chassis is pretty basic as is the handrails, although at least they are complete if chunky.:
20240507_144119.jpg

Stripping the old transfers off the body shell is already under way:
20240507_144116.jpg

20240507_144127.jpg

And that round radiator fan on the long hood is a complete work of fiction for a starter!! Also, too many windows on the sides, not enough on the ends, the pilot faces are practically non existent, the couplings were probably the same design used to moor The Ark, the list goes on...

What I really need is the next issue of Diesel Era Magazine (due soon I hope) which has the SP C415's in it hopefully.

Well, 7399 is being declared done. It will get a proper photocall the next time I dig my locomotive depot plank out of storage and it isn't raining...

7399's partner in Daylight colours, SD40 7342 is planned to be done, a donor loco is already on site but for now this thread becomes my general loco project thread and moving on to something else SP, pretty unique and in need of a fair bit of work, I recently acquired this:
View attachment 187124

This disreputable looking wreck is (admittedly an approximation of) a Alco Century C415. The most extraordinary fact about this near blind chance bid purchase is that straight out of the box, it works and works well in both directions!!

View attachment 187125
View attachment 187126

I intend to do a bit of work to it, sort out some of its errors (of which I keep finding more and more every time I look at it!) get the usual SP light show on the ends and then a decent coat of paint.

It comes apart easily:
View attachment 187127

The chassis is pretty basic as is the handrails, although at least they are complete if chunky.:
View attachment 187129

View attachment 187128
View attachment 187130

And that round radiator fan on the long hood is a complete work of fiction for a starter!! Also, too many windows on the sides, not enough on the ends, the pilot faces are practically non existent, the couplings were probably the same design used to moor The Ark, the list goes on...

What I really need is the next issue of Diesel Era Magazine (due soon I hope) which has the SP C415's in it hopefully.
I used to have that model in Penn Central colors, no clue what happened to it.

View attachment 187124

View attachment 187125
View attachment 187126

It comes apart easily:
View attachment 187127

View attachment 187129

View attachment 187128
View attachment 187130

A lot of model train makers used preliminary drawings and schematics to help get the jump on production of the next latest and greatest. Many times that worked acceptably. Other times, not so much. Probably the most infamous I can think of is the Athearn DD40. Irv got hold of the preliminary drawings and sales brochures, and tooled up an engine that ended up getting zero orders from real railroads.

Back