Running Bear's April 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
These have to be antiques I would have thought.

1713617935380.png

About 7 million New Yorkers plan to leave the state, a new survey revealed this month.

The mass migration echoes a trend that gained momentum during the COVID-19 pandemic and continued in the years that followed as Northerners sought warmer weather, cheaper living and more favorable tax conditions.

I'm one of the 7 million.
Swal
Illinois is the same way. I would pack up and leave today if my wife was on board!

Where are you looking to re-locate?

Good morning from a beautiful looking day on the other side of the windows. So. Central Wisconsin is going to be dry today but the temperatures are kind of cool. 29f degrees now feels like 22 heading into the low 40’s. The winds are in the mid teens but the sun is out.

Yesterday I stayed busy at the weathering bench plus some electronic work. 2 diesels with ESU decoders were messed up. One was programmed to #4 and the other to 13 without documentation. I found those after trial and error but it was frustrating. But to program them to the 4 digit cab numbers took re-reading the very easy to understand NCE power cab manual, download the ESU V4 decoder info and finding videos on YouTube. Many of the CV’s were set differently from the manual. Very satisfying when it was done. Programming to cab numbers is usually simple enough I don’t charge for it. Yesterday I did and PayPal is also happy!

3 diesels are clear coated and 1 is faded. 15 freight cars are clear coated and 10 are faded. All wheelsets and truck frames are off the cars, tagged, cleaned and ready for the 1st weathering coat! These are the last 18 models I have that need to be finished before I head out in May and June for the golf travels. I have nothing scheduled for June! All these will be packaged and address labels added before I leave. The daughter will take them to the post office on their due to ship dates.

Late afternoon yesterday my Intermodal/autorack and stonemason guy showed up after texting 1st. He has 10 Aurora Miniature box cars, the new 60’ cars and they are IMO stunning. Needs to be weathered, graffiti and tagged.

His daughter, Angie, now 18 is attending Madison College with an interest in Art was with him. Angie showed up and the granddaughter was here and they get along great. The g/d was by her side the whole time she was here. Angie will major in Business at the UW next September but wanted a year off but ended up taking some classes to get out of the house! The girl has mean natural graffiti skills but hated working on dad’s cars or maybe it was just dad! Had her airbrush with her for a few lessons but mainly wanted to know how to keep it from clogging, tip dry and sputtering.

While we worked about an hour together her dad was switching his cars on the layout. He was frustrated with derails. Turned out putting new Kadee whisker couplers helped some but I asked if he checked the wheel gauge I got that look that says, “why”? Did that and all were good. When I looked at the cars the trucks seemed too tight. 1/4 of a turn off and the trucks swiveled freely! No more derailments. Now he knows. His daughter will be back this afternoon for some more practice for one of her classes. She doesn’t have a spray booth or compressor in the house. But she knew she is welcome here. Today she will practice applying clear coats to 10 models and cleaning the airbrush after! I also have my old easel set up with some old sketch paper she can work with.

Terry says grocery shopping is Sunday. We ARE NOT attending the Farmers Market today because it’s too damn cold and the TV is showing the big crowds already there! She’ll find produce at the store. Her greenhouse plantings were late this season but my understanding is her and the granddaughter will be harvesting lettuce today. No tomatoes yet!

Enjoy the day

Good Morning All. Raining and 55°, about 0.45" so far. Thunder & lightning indicated worse, but the gauge is what it is. It started around 0500. More on the way. Power has blinked off and on a couple of times. It's not expected to get much warmer today, but sunshine and much warmer tomorrow. This rain will do the garden a lot of good, but will also make the yard grow uncontrollably. And the cars are getting a bath; then there's the 200' drive on the gravel easement road to get to the main paved road out front that will get the lower parts weathered again.

Yesterday's delayed weekly grocery trek went well, and fast. Wife chose to stay home, so it went quicker. No real inflation report, even gasoline prices stayed the same from last week, averaging $3.45/gal everywhere. That is except for the local country convenience store about 7 miles away from me where it is still $3.27...that's where I filled up. I still have 45 more days left to use my current gas points at Kroger, so I'll get them in soon. Right now I have 70¢/gal discount.

I spent more time on the mower than planned, but I got the whole SW part of the yard around the septic tank and leach fields, the whole West side bordering my hay field, all of the North and NW part around the train shed and up to my pond; as well as all of the back yard between and around the house and pool. Only the East and South acreage remained untouched, but I got all of that earlier in the week. Fluid intake: 2 gallons of gas for the tractor/mower and 2 beers for me!

A short but productive session out in the train shed yesterday. Remember this boxcar?
IMG_1515.JPG
IMG_1516.JPG

After looking at various photos on the different RR picture archives, I noticed that this paint scheme was not very durable, so I tried heavier weathering than I normally do. I started with a light overspray of white primer and then I did a little dry-brushing and lots of weathering powders to get this.
IMG_1588.JPG

IMG_1587.JPG

Still not as bad as most of the pictures, but at least representative to some extent. I believe that I will add a bit more grimy black to the doors.

Tom O - Hope that the back issue is just a short time thing and that you get well very soon. Good luck to your brother's investment in gold. My wife's sister and brother-in-law still haven't recovered from the silver spike in 1979! Lesson learned, never buy when it's going up!
Guy - Continued good luck with the recovery.
Mike - I guess that I should feel lucky that my roof was completed 4 days after I accepted the roofer's bid. Two days for him to complete another job, 1 day to get the materials and deliver them to my house, and 1 day to do the job.
Jeez! I just now understood the ABBA-Kiss!
Hughie - My mower has had me on speed-dial since Christmas. Right now, the cost of getting someone else to do it is prohibitive.
Swal -
The mass migration echoes a trend that gained momentum during the COVID-19 pandemic and continued in the years that followed as Northerners sought warmer weather, cheaper living and more favorable tax conditions.
The real problem is that some of them are bringing their political views with them.

Everyone have a great Saturday. I'll try to stay dry out in the train shed

Illinois is the same way. I would pack up and leave today if my wife was on board!

Myrtle Beach Mike. Lots of first-class golf courses there and the beach. Plus, I'll already have classmates there. Played terrible yesterday but was closest to the pin on 17 and won $27.00 for that which was because it carried over the 8 and 11th greens which no one hit. Lots of wind blowing trying to hit these greens. $20.00 to get in all the bets so was +7. 00 for the day,
Swal

Last edited:

We have looked all over the US.

Every area has its good and bad.

Wisconsin has superb health care and is a very diverse state. But taxes are high, the education standards are falling and the weather can be tough! We are staying here because the state is home and we can afford to travel. Terry was born here, I grew up close by in the Chicago area. While the taxes suck, we are doing everything legally possible to avoid them but my feeling has become, you earned the money, pay the taxes!

Texas is ideal except for the heat and Terry could not handle the politics there.

Hawaii is Hawaii! Perfect weather. The cost of housing and food though is extreme. There are growing water issues and native versus home owner unrest is getting intense! Plus it’s in the middle of nowhere!

Arizona is similar to Texas except it also has big time water issues.

California is politically impossible for me and even Terry agrees it’s extreme.

Kiawah Island in So. Carolina was almost it a few years ago, but beyond the tremendous golf not much else to do.

Northern Neveda was fine but I am a recovering gambling addict so it is not a good environment for me. But much of the US is getting that way!

New Mexico does not have enough to do…

New Zealand ticked off everything Terry and the daughter wanted except we do not qualify for citizenship. The daughter and hubby do but we don’t!

Good morning gang!

BEAUTIFUL day here in the land of pleasant living! Sunny and 56°, heading to 66° and here I am, stuck at work, safe from the mower and the rotor tiller!!

No relocation for me. Weather-wise the mid-Atlantic has a little bit of everything. Winters are too cold in the northern climates, and summers are too hot in the south. Great places to visit in the opposing seasons. I loved Michigan in the summer on Lake Huron, and likewise winters in Coral Gables. Not the other way around though. If I moved anywhere it would be further west in the state, past Cumberland, away from the urban encroachment of Baltimore. This area was once rural, not any more.

it looks like the GPS system got updated, and UPS and Amazon both have forgotten where I live.
Amazon has its own version of GPS through the Amazon delivery app. No recent updates to my Amazon app. Amazon's directions can be a little screwy, but it is accurate to within fifty feet of the address. That can be overridden by lazy drivers who give up trying to find your front door. How they can't find something within fifty feet of them is beyond me. My comrades are a real "cast of characters."

I hope you find your stuff.

Good morning gang!

BEAUTIFUL day here in the land of pleasant living!

No relocation for me. Weather-wise the mid-Atlantic has a little bit of everything. Winters are too cold in the northern climates, and summers are too hot in the south.
I agree 100%

I'm Baltimore born, raised, and I've lived here all my life. I've never lived more than eleven miles from where I was born.

"How bout dem O's Hon?"

Although I did like Kecskemet, Hungary, my wife's hometown. I wanted to move there, but she said, "it's getting bad, you won't like it" As usual, she was right. Viktor Orban lost his mind and became a power mad nationalist. I'm glad I listened to her.

Morning folks

Crispy at 18F earlier but warming under a clear sky. More domestic duties on the plate for the day. Yesterday I did get some more PSC parts ordered for several different locomotive projects.

We have looked all over the US.

Every area has its good and bad.
Yep, no place is going to be perfect. Physical attributes/climate, recreational opportunities, potential natural disasters, housing costs, and politics/taxes. I was a very hard core skier for a half century and at that time, winter was my most favorite time of the year and much of the summer was seeking out what snow still lingered. This sort of stuff.
12800207313_f853e84933_b.jpg

Alas, that is past tense and if I manage one visit to a ski area a year now I did well and snow is just something that usually needs relocated. If I wasn't attached to my current place, I would likely end up in BC. But there are no plans on moving. The house we built is extremely energy efficient and relatively low maintenance, along with reasonably good handicap access on the first floor-no steps to navigate. There is even a fourth floor loft that was going to be the layout but that is unlikely to happen. But never say never.

Good morning All!!!

I just want to say I enjoy reading what you guys post.
Amazing how fast the pages fill up.
Prayers of strength, healing positive vibes and patience for all in need. Myself included!
Bill, I could live in that little Kokomo shack!
It's been nice seeing Bob and Grande Man here on a regular basis.
Flo, there's something about you this morning.
Making me feel giddy inside. 🥰
Please bring me something for breakfast that a wife or doctor would say no to.🤣

Myrtle Beach Mike. Lots of first-class golf courses there and the beach. Plus, I'll already have classmates there. Played terrible yesterday but was closest to the pin on 17 and won $27.00 for that which was because it carried over the 8 and 11th greens which no one hit. Lots of wind blowing trying to hit these greens. $20.00 to get in all the bets so was +7. 00 for the day,
Swal
Not a fan of the tourist destination that Myrtle Beach is. My wife’s embezzling niece has been in Myrtle Beach about 15 years now. Lots of hurricanes blow through there! Yes, great golf though and good horse country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back