Trying to find a sound replacement

OffrdJeff

Hi all,
I just got a used SF "B" unit with a Digitrax DH 163 no sound in it. Im wondering if I should change it to a sound decoder or just leave it. I dont know which decoder to get for it.
Also, Underneith it says Lifelike, but in the shell it says Rivarossi with a number 22234. It may be a p/n for the shell, but I dont know what the previous owner did, maybe some body switching?

Thanks

If you are new to dcc and sound, I'd probably leave well enough alone, as long as the engine runs well as-is.

My personal go to, is to install a Decoder Buddy, (nixtrainz.com) and a Loksound decoder, although any 21 pin decoder will work.

I have a digitrax system, just like it all to be dcc. I could just leave it silent.

I will look into nixtrainz.

I don't recall at the moment, but pretty sure the wires are soldered to the board and then the unit. I think I seen some side connections with what looked like jumper blocks.

The wires that are soldered to the locomotive components all feed into a white plug that connects to the end of the decoder. You might have to trim back the blue shrink wrap on the decoder to see the whole plug.
You can pull it out by gripping all the wires going in and wiggling it side to side. The plug is keyed so it can only go into the socket one way.
That will permit you to replace the DH163 with any other decoder that fits that plug.

As mentioned above:

How does it run RIGHT NOW ?
Smooth, works as you would want ?

In that case, I'd leave it alone.
I believe so. I really haven't run it. Too many irons in the fire. So, I was looking at it yesterday, and the frame actually fits the E7 -A body.

I need to get things straight one at a time, but...

Back