Running Bear's March 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning!
FAMILY GUY_DOG.png

1711873716645.png

NKP Berkshire 737 at Conneaut Ohio (date and photographer unknown)

Working fine here in the UK but then again, the US has not woken up yet. Still trying to adjust my body clock, the clocks went forward an hour overnight to Daylight Saving so I am out of sync.

Time to put the kettle on and then get back to finding out where on Earth all these little bits of grey plastic fit on the frame of an SD45...

Well, howdy there internet people and bunny dropping locators.

It's troy again

Looks like the Lucky Charms guy was having fun with Trix rabbit and begot an offspring who loves to drop little colored packages in the landscape. Mind your step when you're out.

I slept in until 4:45 this morning. Showered and downstairs in the lobby with my Diet Dr. P so I don't disturb the roomie, here at the gaming con. My view:

lobby.jpg

Breakfast was 2 Wild Berry Poptarts so I don't have to pay 24$ for cup of yogurt and some bacon. Hotel food is pricy.

Sale-wise, doing OK at this convention. Since I'm splitting the cost of the hotel room, I've paid for the cost of the trip, and most of the food. Sales today should be profit to pay for the books with.

I won't say no to another convention booth, but I'd hoped for about double the sales.. This convention is lighter on attendance than I expected.

In other news, back to the Dali episode.

The reports I heard were that the remaining victims are probably int their vehicles, underneath the twisted metal and concrete from the bridge deck. I suspect they need to remove the debris to safely extract them without damaging the Dali further. We're probably in a zone where the practicailty and safety of the work crews need to take the precedence. Just my semi-informed 2 pence.

I did find a good channel to follow on youtubez.
"Sal Mercogliano, the host, has degrees in Military and Naval History, Maritime History and Nautical Archaeology, and Marine Transportation. He is a former merchant mariner, and teaches courses in maritime history, security and industry policy."

A Friend I was having dinner with started chasing conspiracy theories about missing segments from the "Black Box" on the Dali, the claim that the captian of the ship was Ukranian (he's not, though a Ukrainian did skipper the ship up until 2016)..., and it's hard pivot into the pier at the last moment.

Professor Mercagliano tackles most of those in the video above (it's about 31 min) and he links to some very informative resources from merchant mariners on YouTube that - while not ON the Dali, are experienced with the mechanics of such a ship. The vids he links are about how to start up a ship's diesel engine. What that black smoke likely was (blowing unburned fuel from the engine to be able to get it restarted)... and another on the ship's emergency generators, and what they might be able to control.

The professor explains based on his limited knowledge gleaned from those resources, possible scenarios and questions he has about what might have happened: Did the emergency gen have power going to the rudder? Or no power?

Other things he points out - with further questions - these "Black Boxes" on ships are NOT like those on planes. One issue is easily illustrated. The voice recorders in the cockpit are covering a much smaller area, say??? 20 ft wide and deep? While the bridge on a ship like the Dali can be 150 ft wide. Do all of the audio pickups retain power during a ship's blackout? What instruments retain battery power and continue to report to the black box? Are the "gaps" in the data recorder simply when the instruments had no power, so they weren't sending data to the recorder?

I suspect the current range of conspiracy theories some are latching onto are jumping to conclusions based on assuming the "black box" on the Dali functions the same as on a commercial airliner.

So, when friend comes down to breakfast, at least I have questions to guide his ponderings.

That's enough for now. Off to keep reading the internet.

WILLIE - To answer your question -- Saturday was a bummer of a day spent mostly in bed.
So , I guess that I am up early today; I will crawl back in the sack in a few!

Happy Easter everyone ... Received a 1.5 inch of rain yesterday -- scattered showers expected today.
Really nice to see the Forum working top notch - so far!

Happy Easter gang!
Or as my eldest son would say “ Happy zombie Jesus day!” Yes he’s a strange one, takes after his momma.

Sunny and 43 degrees, heading to the lower 60s after an overnight storm.

Speed is very fast this morning, past light speed approaching ludicrous speed!

Later gators!

Good afternoon all. A sunny sunshine day. I see Flo has the coffee going. Add a blueberry muffin to the order please, Flo. No family visiting today. We saw them before they went on mini-holidays.

Lunch to make. A chicken to cook. A few household jobs to do.

Back later.

Good Morning All. Happy Easter once again. Cloudy and 66° here, not quite as warm today as yesterday, only 77°. Still have rain in tomorrow's forecast, then cooler temperatures from Tuesday until Friday.
Looking at the long range forecast right now is disappointing. On Monday 4-8, during the solar eclipse, they are predicting scattered thunderstorms. That's a drag because my location is in the 99.7% totality range for 2.5 minutes. Sadly, this could be the one instance of the NWS being correct...their odds are rather low in the last few years. We'll see!

The big family Easter egg hunt and luncheon is being held at my sister's place this year. My contribution is Italian Pasta Salad, which I made most of yesterday. I need to add the cherry tomatoes and Mozzarella cheese cubes this morning to complete it. It's already delicious with tri-color Rotini pasta; red, orange and green diced Bell Peppers; Red Onion, large cubes of diced Pepperoni, gobs of fresh chopped Parsley, freshly grated Parmesan cheese, Italian dressing and sliced black olives. I have resisted all temptation to have more than just one tablespoon of it so far, but I will have another today after adding the tomatoes and cheese.

As I posted yesterday, I spent time on the tractor mowing the south parts of the yard. I also surveyed the trees in that area and found a couple that did not survive the double whammy of drought and bagworms last year. Those will need to be taken down this spring. One is a tree that I planted over 40 years ago, most of the rest are volunteer saplings ranging from 10' to 20' tall. The one that I planted has been on a downhill slide for the past few years anyway, losing one to two large limbs a year.

Out in the train shed yesterday, all that I did was run trains. I am in a modeling funk right now, but it normally only lasts for 2-3 days before I get over it. I'm trying to kickstart it by ordering two new engines from Scaletrains yesterday. They happen to have a couple of Rivet Counter ATSF SD40-2's left in their clearance bin, so I should get them in a couple of days. I resisted getting a few coil steel flatcars along with them since I really have no more room for freight cars. I have already selected the two 30-year old Blue Box locomotives to remove from the layout. The old ones still run OK, but I have never upgraded the detailing or installed directional light bulbs. They have been hardwired and have NWSL wheelsets though.
Maybe a few pictures of people doing stuff on my layout.
IMG_0339.JPG

IMG_0353.JPG

IMG_0341.JPG

IMG_0351.JPG

Terry - Sorry to read about the "lost" data. But thanks for the heads-up on the Win11 thing which I will remember (I hope) once I am forced to go there. It reminds me though that I haven't saved my updated photo and music files to the external drive since October and I need to do so. I bet there is a way to do it automatically, but I haven't really looked into it.
Mike - Have fun in Destin. I didn't even realize that you were going until you posted yesterday.
Chris - I get those One Drive messages as well, and I have never used it!
Sherrel - Those overnight trips to pee wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to rely on gravity to empty these days!
Curt - I am not a real fan of graffiti as I consider it vandalism and not art. But it is a part of railroading in the era that I model, so I try to recreate it a little bit on some of my models. It is interesting to have observed the evolution of it as I have observed here in my part of Texas. In the 60's and 70's it was just the occasional peace signs, "Kilroy was here" or "SRS '68" that I would see. Then cars from the West Coast on the UP and SP lines started having the more complex designs on them in the 80's. I still didn't see much on lines like MKT, KCS or MP; but it started appearing on some ATSF cars that visited out there. Now it's everywhere, but still most prevalent on UP cars; so much so that they now order their boxcars with the reporting marks up high so they don't get defaced.

Everyone have a great day.
IMG_1519.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back