Running Bear's March 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who was into 80s music will appreciate this!

1710538720296.png

Evening all,

I has Fiber Internet!!!

Was a decent day, After taking the wife to a cardiologist appointment, I mowed the front yard for the first time, bagging it and then tilled it all into the garden. Yes, there was some green grass (quite a bit actually) but I'm at least 3 weeks before I can really plant anything. Yes I could do some potatoes and Cole crops (broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts), but we don't usually eat a lot of those fresh.

Should have gotten this tiller instead of the one I had. This actually looks like a tiller and digs another 2 inches deeper. Brought some of the under clay soil up and destroyed it. Worms a plenty in it.

Gotta make supper.

Good 30F Morning!

A professional contractor is supposed to be coming around today, for the 2nd promise of installing a new quartz bathroom vanity and sink. Missed the first attempt to do it, and I hope he holds to his promise to install today. I suspect it was alcohol poisoning that prevented the attempt to work the other day.

Railroads are a messy bunch:
TrainDay_03-14-2024 (30).JPG

Oops! I pressed the wrong button to my post, and made it post to early! My bad!!

Morning all,

38° and partly cloudy this morning. Gotta troubleshoot the printer as I forgot to add it to the new Wi-Fi. Keeps telling me it can't be found, but I'm on it, so not sure why it can't be found. Worst case it works via the USB cable.

Got to now till up the son's garden spot. I was going to do so 2 weeks ago.

Good morning from Wisconsin. The weather yo-yo here continues with a high of 50 today. But after 6pm the shift to an over night low in the teens is possible. The weather guessing app says the high Sunday might be 35. That’s quite a difference from the 70’s we had earlier this week.

We visited 3 cheese factories yesterday and Terry was very happy with her purchases. Cheese tasting last night was fun!

Today at 2 we will be on campus as the #2 NCAA tournament seeded but #1 in the polls UW Badger women take on 7th seed St. Lawrence from Canton, New York! Winner moves on to the Women’s Frozen 4 in Durham, NH next weekend. The Badger ladies are the defending NCAA National champs. Even if the Badgers win and move on to the Frozen 4 we are not going. Durham is only 1100 driving miles from the house but 18 hours with iffy still Winter driving weather. Even with a discount from our son, VistaJet is out of reach because Durham is off the beaten path. TV it will be…

I ordered paints and a few supplies on Monday from Scalehobbyist.com. They always have had great pricing on Vallejo and Tamiya paints IMO but shipping was slow. It still is slow. They did acknowledge the order though. Not complaining but maybe starting to be concerned. I am so used to 1-2 day delivery from MidwestmodelRr.com and LombardHobby.com that I’m spoiled

Terry(bnsf971), thank you! I did email with your friend from the Atlas Rescue Forum, he is sending 4 to be weathered!

I started hitting 100 golf balls daily since the 3/7 clearance from the doctor with no issues. On the 14th I moved up to 200 balls. Yesterday was the first day of any sort of pain. So I stopped and relaxed. After a couple hours away I tried again, twinges! Called the doctor last night and talked to his nurse. Stop hitting until Monday, if the pain comes back, call in for an appointment. Not happy with the advice nor the fact my $2 spent on the Mega Millions yesterday was not a winner…

enjoy the day

Good morning everyone!

A bright sunny early spring morning here in Northern Illinois.

Not much going on here other than the usual Saturday tasks. I suppose its time to head to the shed to check on the mower. Going to need it sooner than later. Maybe get the patio furniture out as well. Probably wont pressure wash it today. Maybe on the docket for tomorrow.

Getting anxious to get the pool up and going, but im still at least 2 1/2 months from that!

Everybody have a great day!

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 52° this morning. Today is going to be nearly the same as yesterday temperature-wise, low-60's, but it might rain between 11 & 3. Same type of system that has come through the last two days that has devastated parts of the Midwest.

Since the rain was absent yesterday and minimal Thursday, I was able to mow again. This time I did the north and northwest parts of the yard including the area around the train shed and garden. Even though this new tractor/mower has a narrower mowing deck, 48" vs the old one of 54", it is able to go faster so it takes slightly less time to do the same areas as before. And while it is not a 0° turn mower, it's turning radius is much sharper than the old one which also helps reduce the time. The weedeater got a workout yesterday as well.

Sunday's Corned Beef Brisket has been in the Sous Vide apparatus since 6:00 pm last night for it's 48 hour journey. Obviously a first for me since we just got the cooker at Christmas. I never minded cooking it in the crockpot before, but the regular brisket last month turned out so well that I thought "why not?". The only hard part is remembering to thaw and start it 2 1/2 days ahead of time. Cabbage will be cooked the old-fashioned way on the stovetop, although we may try sauerkraut this time around instead. I have both available just in case. We don't do potatoes any more, part of that "counting carbs" thing.

Daughter's birthday dinner in Dallas tonight. While I am looking forward to the occasion, I do not enjoy "dressing up". At least I confirmed with my SIL yesterday, that jacket and tie were not really required despite what their website suggested, dress clothes, socks and leather shoes are a requirement though. If we get rain, it is supposed to be over by the time that I have to make the trip.

Nothing accomplished out in the train shed yesterday. I had left a few trains parked on sidings from Thursday's running and I moved them to staging. Then I moved a few more out and so on. Two hours of running without any incidents made me feel real well. The care and time that I spent laying track in the beginning has really paid off. In fact, the only cars that I have that don't back up nicely are the spine cars which I did not run. There's no place to add weight, and while I can (and do) add weight to the trailers, it is actually too high up to provide needed stability. They look great going forward though.
Here are some older shots.
IMG_0970.001.JPG

IMG_0971.001.JPG

IMG_0969 (2).JPG

Curt - Good to read that the rash is going away. Maybe I missed it, but did you ever post what was causing it?
Hughie - Nice job on the weathering. I prefer my cars lightly weathered like that instead of "rust buckets". It fits my era better. The "rust buckets" are more appropriate for an era later than mine.
Patrick - Is your new tiller a rear-tine or a front-tine. My Troy-Bilt is a rear and is also self propelled; meaning I can walk alongside and operate it with just one hand. No bucking and no footprints to deal with later.
Mike - In my part of the world, there is no such thing as the first mowing of the season. I generally have to mow 11 months a year, with only August being the off month most years. Recall that I was having temperatures in the 80's and 90's in January and February this year, which is common.

Everybody have a great Saturday.

Good morning gang!

Been busy already, got up at 7:30, showered and out the door for my quarterly blood draw. The pretty blonde vampire hit the vein 1st time! Yahoo, then off to BK for a breakfast biscuit, then to HD for lawn fertilizer, wire, an electrical box, and 20 12x12 pavers. I have to move 2 light switches in the basement, as the layouts backdrop will be covering them, weed and feed the yard and fix what to doggies have done at the steps from the deck. Its a mudhole!!! That's what the pavers are for! Then a stop at TSC for food for the lil Lion, and to check out new tires for the trailer and the Cub Crapette. Dry rot is a terrible thing, and so are the prices!:oops:

Taking a break right now, trying to decide what I should use as a base for the pavers. I'm thinking a layer of pea gravel, then a layer of sand mix. Any thoughts?

I ordered a new soldering iron and a few other essentials from the big river company, due tomorrow. I had never seen an iron with LEDs in the head of the handle, should be useful to see with!

The Queen is cracking the whip, BBL!!!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back