Women in model railroading

There's a growing number of women getting interested in model railways - but women in the hobby are still in the minority. I wanted to find out what's stopping women getting more involved in railway modelling and spoke to some amazing women in both the hobby and industry, including the executive director of the most famous model railroad museum in the US, and the woman behind Bachmann's fabulous LNER Thompson Teaks.
A huge thank you to:
Michelle Kempema: Executive Director of the Colorado Model Railroad Museum
Lucy Dormont, Social media and marketing manager for the National Model Railroading Association.
Louise Oliver, Graphic designer at Bachmann Europe
Railway modellers par excellence: Maggie Gravett, Gilly North, Carol Flavin and Rachel Harris
And to Zara and Kath - an inspiration to young women railway modellers everywhere.

There's a growing number of women getting interested in model railways - but women in the hobby are still in the minority. I wanted to find out what's stopping women getting more involved in railway modelling and spoke to some amazing women in both the hobby and industry, including the executive director of the most famous model railroad museum in the US, and the woman behind Bachmann's fabulous LNER Thompson Teaks.
A huge thank you to:
Michelle Kempema: Executive Director of the Colorado Model Railroad Museum
Lucy Dormont, Social media and marketing manager for the National Model Railroading Association.
Louise Oliver, Graphic designer at Bachmann Europe
Railway modellers par excellence: Maggie Gravett, Gilly North, Carol Flavin and Rachel Harris
And to Zara and Kath - an inspiration to young women railway modellers everywhere.

FYI, Michelle Kempema is as wonderful in person as she appears on paper/pictures. She was hired at the museum right about the same time I started there. Just inside the last 3 years she has become a modeler too. She chose N-scale. And she is a Trekkie too.

I have been following Lucy on LinkedIn for years when she started a museum down south. watched her make it a good sized events place with many woman oriented events and kid friendly too. Got it 501 status. she is really good at marketing. got it off the ground. She got to the NMRA from a husband job change that put her into their woods. Seeing what she did for that museum she helped start, The NMRA will definitely benefit a lot.

Oddly (and refreshingly) enough, within the past several months there's been three gals actually joining our local HO and N-Scale model railroading clubs, plus another husband/wife team where the wife is as equally interested as her husband (and not just a tag-along spouse).

I would think for the most part. women aren't technically inclined in general for the mechanics of model railroading. Pretty much the same as the community of women who are carpenters, or work in construction. Remember now, I said "in general". Yeah, there are women who engage in all those areas, but not at or even near the population of men.

I would think for the most part. women aren't technically inclined in general for the mechanics of model railroading. Pretty much the same as the community of women who are carpenters, or work in construction. Remember now, I said "in general". Yeah, there are women who engage in all those areas, but not at or even near the population of men.
IMG_3141.jpeg

Back