Running Bear's March 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heya gjslsffan...

...I asked you a few days back, but doubt you saw it, so I'll try again: I think you said you handled trains all over the D&RGW system, with the exception of the Craig Branch, and assume you did so based out of Grand Junction.

Did you ever know Sam Dougherty personally, or have you ever read his book?

Also: I'm reading your moniker as "Grand Junction [based] Frisco fan [Frisco the railroad, not Frisco TX necessarily]. Have I got that about right?

Good morning all. Thick cloud has rolled in. The sunshine has gone and at 11.am it is getting darker. Wil it rain?

Daughter and grandchildren are visiting today. A 'little tea party' for my birthday which is tomorrow.

Dawn is having me 'set the dining table'.

Back later.

Good morning!
FAMILY GUY_DOG.png

1709982326484.png

Wabash, IN CCC&StL depot

Morning all! 31 here in the tundra. Visiting the grandkids today, and after that maybe some time in the paint booth. I've never shared this but our club has a Flickr page. Lots of great photos and eye candy. Have a look! https://www.flickr.com/photos/napmltd/
Wow! Thanks for sharing Alan. That’s even better pictures than what the club shares on their FaceBook page

Good morning from my part of Wisconsin. 28f degrees now feels like 18 and heading into the low 40’s. But, it is very bright with a chrystal clear sky!

The paint booth is on the move in about 1 hour if the SIL shows up with a neighbor of his. I will miss the space of my current modeling shop but this place has never had the, “this is home”, feel to it.

After the UW Badger women hockey nationally ranked #2 play the championship game on TV this afternoon against #1 nationally ranked Ohio State, Terry and I will head to campus. We will join 15,000 others in watching the #6 ranked UW men play unranked Ohio State in quarter finals of the Big Ten hockey championship. OSU handled easily UW last night, (it’s a best 2 of 3 series to move on). We are not big men’s college hockey fans but take in a game every 5 years or so, this is that game! The daughter‘s family have Men’s season tickets so we will join them somewhere after for food around 9:30pm!

enjoy the day

Morning all,

31° and clear. Headed for 55° later.

Well, I guess a lilac bush is saved for now. We planted it 9 years ago, and it has yet to bloom. Well is has purplish buds on it finally. Not a lot but some. The wife likes lilacs which is why it was planted in the first place. I've seen smaller and younger bushes blooming.

Still have a garage door to deal with later and a mini-tiller to attempt to fix.

BBL

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 41° on the rolling plains of North Central Texas. North winds of 17 mph means that today will not be as warm as yesterday when it was 65°, only 58° this afternoon. Wind chill this morning is 33°. Overnight lows will be in the 30's for the next two nights. The rain of the last two days has moved east over Arkansas now, my 2 day rainfall total was 1.2" over the 48 hour period. It did stop early enough yesterday for me to make the trip to Dallas for the "complimentary" car servicing on mostly dry roads all of the way.

That servicing went well, it only took 1.5 hours to do all that they had scheduled which included oil change, tire rotation, replacement of at least three filters, a car wash and vacuuming, plus a myriad of other things. The list took two pages. I made the 150 mile round trip worth it by dropping by Discount Model Trains afterward and spending a bunch of $$$.
Picture of the booty:
IMG_1425.JPG

All of this for just $217, ridiculous! Inflation has hit since I was there in January. Those packs of drill bits went from $2.63@ to $2.79@; not much but they went up. The canister of Woodland Scenics ground foam was $8.99 in January and is now $10.39. The Oxford vehicles which used to cost under $10 are now $12.56! I'm happy that I don't need any more freight cars; I didn't even look at them since I remembered to bring my list instead of browsing and shopping.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I unpacked the purchases and started assembling the two containers and chassis's from Walther's. I glue 14¢ worth of pennies inside all of my 40' containers to provide weight to my mostly plastic well car fleet. I test fit both of them to the chassis's and discovered another fine example of Walther's lack of QC; the holes in the chassis for the container mounting pegs are not far enough back in the frame, nor are they a large enough diameter either.
IMG_1430.JPG

So today I get out the pin vise and correct this oversight. I didn't try them with any older containers that I have, so I don't know if it is the containers or chassis's. Note that there is some very nice detail on those rear doors.
The train store has not gotten their 2024 Oxford models yet, several of which I am looking forward to getting, notably the '66 GTO.

Mike - I dislike setting up new computers as well. I was fortunate that my last desktop lasted from 2009 until 2021, but I went through the hassle of upgrading from Win7 to Win10 on it. I'm too clumsy to use a laptop! I'm also just too used to the standard keyboard with the numbers to the right as well as along the top.
Hughie - It's interesting that the Buc-ee's nearby in Denton is not actually the cheapest gas in town. But it does boast 120 gas pumps!

OK, everyone have a wonderful day.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I unpacked the purchases and started assembling the two containers and chassis's from Walther's. I glue 14¢ worth of pennies inside all of my 40' containers to provide weight to my mostly plastic well car fleet. I test fit both of them to the chassis's and discovered another fine example of Walther's lack of QC; the holes in the chassis for the container mounting pegs are not far enough back in the frame, nor are they a large enough diameter either.
View attachment 183426
So today I get out the pin vise and correct this oversight. I didn't try them with any older containers that I have, so I don't know if it is the containers or chassis's. Note that there is some very nice detail on those rear doors.
The train store has not gotten their 2024 Oxford models yet, several of which I am looking forward to getting, notably the '66 GTO.

Willie. Love the detail on the containers. In the U.S.A. are mudflaps on trailers white? Here in the U.K. they are black.

Well, howdy there internet peeps and those with the desire to move house.

It's Troy again

Update on Honorary sis-in-law. She's back home in the Fort. On oxygen since the transplant folks figured out she has COPD from a few decades of chain smoking. She wouldn't believe any other doc, but the transplant folks are trustworthy.

One problem with having a bad liver is that the filtering of Ammonia and other toxins doesn't work wll. She was on meds to help her clear that, but she had to spend an hour every morning pooping. Yes, an hour. She just sat on the loo that long. And she was still foggy-brained from the ammonia buildup.

No more! Both to the foggy brain and to sitting on the loo that long.

Here internal temp is back to semi-normal (female in her mid-60s). To which roomie, the real sis-in-law is grateful. She'd much prefer their place set at 68° than 80° f. Evidently, hot flashes are unbearable and near constant when it's that warm.

This is why I keep a space heater aimed at my chairs (desk and recliner). Wife likes it at 68° (that 20° C for the base 100 folks) as well.

I'm still working on recovering files and getting things squared away on the old book series. Looks like I had to do the worst one first. (Knocks on wood). It had too many things missing. So, I'm putting a polish on these to get the typos cleaned up (again, they multiply like rabbits after I close the files.

Here's a fun pic of the heroine of the series.
Maria 8 graveyard.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back