tight radius amtrak passenger cars

Do you mean for minimum passing distance (eg trains passing each other or infrastructure distance in a curve) or do you mean the raidius the bogies etc will physically fail. Most brands I have are ok on far below their minimum "passing radius". My smallest curve is R9.8"/249mm and all of my trains can handle it (albeit slowly) and as long as thetr is nothing to hit when all their bits are poking out. Which they will, and unrealistically so.

I run European trains so not sure about amtrack, although I believe their HST is actually one of the German ICE trains, which my I3 can handle it. (slowly!!), at least the Kato one can 😁

What specific traffic are you thinking about?

Last edited:
Looking for n scale Amtrak passenger cars for tight 9.75 radius curves
In the old days when N-scale was new (1970), I would run 85' passenger cars from Atlas and MRC (as below) on dual track of 9.75" and 11.00" radius respectively. It was really close but they passed without scraping each other. Both brands had both truck mounted couplers. I would guess same would apply to passenger cars these days.
1707971456947.jpeg

1707971325994.jpeg

Hi This will depend on whether the couplers are body-mounted or truck-mounted. The body mounts are much less tolerant to smaller radii. I change all of my passenger cars to MicroTrains adjustable trucks. Costs a few bob, but you can run on tighter curves. I think Con-Cor had a series of "shorty" passenger cars years ago. You might find them on ebay.

Back