New N Scale DCC questions and clarification needed.

N_Scale_Aman

Hello Everyone,

I am hoping I posted this in the correct section !

I am a new N Scale enthusiast and came across this forum and hope I can get some input from the experts here. I am from Toronto, Canada. I am 40 years old and have a 3 year old son. Some background info:

When I was 12 years old back home in Iran I had an old HO Bachman set (Diesel Hustler Set) and I enjoyed it so much. FF to now, I was playing with a Thomas train plastic set with my son about a month ago and my train interest was sparked again! So I started checking out what I can have and for my space now I decided to go with N Scale.

On Monday I finally pulled the trigger and bought a n scale Loco, some rolling stock and track. My plan was not to start off with DCC due to cost and complexity, but due to availability, budget and being anxious to start in the hobby I ended up getting these:

1 x Kato N scale F3 A Locomotive Satna Fe silver red paint scheme. This locomotive has the Digitrax

DN163K0B Decoder installed.

6 x Great Northern Iron Ore cars

1x Kato V6 track set with addition track pieces as well.

He didn’t have a DCC controller to sell but I wanted something to test my train so he had this cheap President’s choice controller. I bought all the above for $275 Canadian Dollars. The set is in very good condition the track looks brand new, the train and the cars are all in very good condition.

I have a few questions :

• What functionalities does the Digitrax DN163K0B has? I did read on Digitrax website but I didn’t understand what I was reading. I know I will be able to control multiple locomotives. Now what other capabilities does this decoder have?

• I am planning to get the NCE controller it's cheaper then Digitax Zephyr.. Would pairing this locomotive to the NCE controller be a problem? I would like to have 2 more locomotives in my line

• For the past couple of days since my purchase I have been running my DCC locomotive with this DC President’s Choice controller. Am I damaging my loco?

• The Loco runs sluggish on low speed (is this because of the controller or Do I need to clean the track)?
Above are some of my concerns right off the bat, I have been reading and watching many articles and videos on DCC but still confused and your help is appreciated.

Hi I have one remaining Digitrax DN163K0B left. Converting all to ESU LokSounds. You can download a manual from Digitrax site that gives you all of the CVs. They are a bit unique relative to NCE and TCS decoders.
No issues for the NCE decoder.
If you run a DCC engine on a DC power pack, it will not start until 7 to 9V or so, depending on the decoder make. So, you are not damaging the decoder, but it will get hot if you try to run a long time at high speed. In this case, you might hurt the electronics.
Sluggish- this is expected for DC operation with a DCC decoder.
Once you get the NCE controller, all will be well again. I use the PowerCab for years- runs 6 engines with no problem.

I have a few questions :

• What functionalities does the Digitrax DN163K0B has? I did read on Digitrax website but I didn’t understand what I was reading. I know I will be able to control multiple locomotives. Now what other capabilities does this decoder have?

• I am planning to get the NCE controller it's cheaper then Digitax Zephyr.. Would pairing this locomotive to the NCE controller be a problem? I would like to have 2 more locomotives in my line

• For the past couple of days since my purchase I have been running my DCC locomotive with this DC President’s Choice controller. Am I damaging my loco?

• The Loco runs sluggish on low speed (is this because of the controller or Do I need to clean the track)?
1. The DN163K0B seems to be a standard FX3 style specifically made for that loco. Will run the motor, and have the headlight go on and off automatically based on direction. Headlight can also do lots of "effects" such as mars lamp, gyralight, strobe. etc. Does the F-unit have lighted letter boards and marker lamps? If so those will probably be hooked to the decoder so you can turn them on and off and change their color etc. What sort of "capabilities" are you looking for?

2. No, will not be a problem. Any DCC controller will control any DCC equipped locomotive regardless of the brand. That is the whole point of DCC. An NCE Power cab is what I assume you are talking about. Factory says it will handle running 8 n-scale locos at a time (simultaniously). It can address many more.

3. No, running on DC will not damage the locomotive nor the decoder. They are designed for it. Now the other way around DC loco on DCC power is a different story.

4. That is probably not because of the controller nor dirty track. Some cheap controllers do have poor low end throttle, but, I am thinking more it is because if the decoder. In simplest terms, DCC decoders running on DC have to get to a certain power level before they pass power through to the loco. At low speeds control is iffy. Often need 1/2 throttle just to get moving. As they say, "That is just how it is". I'm pretty certain when you get the loco on a DCC decoder it will run fine. Dirty track would have more the symptoms of having the locomotive being jerky, and having to be pushed frequently.

At the risk of complicating things for you--and I realize you are starting out simple and straightforward, which is almost always a good thing--I'll point this one out:

It might be something you'll want to factor in or at least try sometime down the road.

Back