Weathering Rolling Stock, a Continous thread

Just a teaser, the next set of cars to be done will be the grain cars. Some got the latches painted some didn't. Some will get a bit more in the weathering, and some will get grain spillage on the top.
IMG_6492.jpg
IMG_6493.jpg
IMG_6494.jpg

Here’s a 2 bay CNW covered hopper from Athearn’s RTR series that the weathering was started this morning. It was inspected, cleaned and clear Matt finished a few weeks ago. No fading…

Pan Pastels so far!
IMG_4289.jpeg

IMG_4285.jpeg
IMG_4286.jpeg
IMG_4288.jpeg

Then the truck side frames

Done with Vallejo Panzer Aces #301 light rust and #302 dark rust dabbed on
IMG_4287.jpeg

The bottom of the car and the end panels will be air brushed

There are 3 more 2-bay hoppers for the same commission that should be completed in the next day or so, these are from Intermountain
IMG_4290.jpeg

I see ThomasJ49 has a end of the line thread for caboose.

I did my 1st ever plastic caboose before I left for golf about 12 days ago

IMG_4230.jpeg
IMG_4229.jpeg
IMG_4228.jpeg
IMG_4227.jpeg
IMG_4226.jpeg
IMG_4225.jpeg
IMG_4223.jpeg
IMG_4224.jpeg
IMG_4233.jpeg

As per my procedures I inspect, clean and add a clear matte finish the car. In this case I then went with the Pan Pastels on the caboose. After a few colors added and blended I clear coat again. This car has quite a few layers of Pan Pastels blended together with most being with brushes but there was some sponge work

Used these pan pastels that along with a colorless blender are my favorites
IMG_4289.jpeg

Wheel faces and truck frames were weathered with Vallejo Panzer Aces #302 dark rust

Here’s a bulkhead flat car from Atlas that is supposed to be just dirtied. Nothing rust bucket about this one and the client wanted to read most of the lettering on the car. Sent these pictures off on Saturday but he texted he’d let me know on Tuesday if he approves or not. Seems he was in Vegas going to watch some game on Sunday.

The normal, inspect, clean and a clear coat to start the process. Then a fade. Tamiya white thinned 20% paint to 80% Isopropyl Alcohol using the 91% concentration. My pharmacist found a case of 91% for me and ordered it for me. I prefer 99% but that has been difficult to find and what I do have I’m saving if I need to strip any paints.

After the fade was done to my satisfaction I hit it again with a clear matte finish. I then sprayed a Tamiya brown basically as a light mist to represent a light grime all over the car, incuding the bulkheads and underbody. The deck is applications of Pan Pastels red iron oxide extra dark and raw Umber extra dark applied with a sponge. A spray of 100% Tamiya xf86 flat clear sealed the Pan Pastels.

I then went with Vallejo Air burnt umber and touched every stake pocket with a brush. That was thinned 80% paint 20% tap water

The client did not want any additional kick up spray on the bulkheads

Finally the whole car was sprayed with another application of Tamiya’s xf86 flat clear but thinned 50/50 with Tamiya thinner x20A

IMG_4298.jpeg
IMG_4299.jpeg
IMG_4302.jpeg
IMG_4303.jpeg
IMG_4304.jpeg
IMG_4305.jpeg
IMG_4306.jpeg

The trucks and wheel faces were weathered with Vallejo Panzer Aces light 301 rust and dark 302 rust dabbed on with a brush. Because this car does go through a hump yard on the client’s layout the wheel rims were cleaned off.

your thoughts are welcome

I see ThomasJ49 has a end of the line thread for caboose.

I did my 1st ever plastic caboose before I left for golf about 12 days ago

View attachment 181121View attachment 181122View attachment 181123View attachment 181124View attachment 181125View attachment 181126View attachment 181127View attachment 181128View attachment 181129

As per my procedures I inspect, clean and add a clear matte finish the car. In this case I then went with the Pan Pastels on the caboose. After a few colors added and blended I clear coat again. This car has quite a few layers of Pan Pastels blended together with most being with brushes but there was some sponge work

Used these pan pastels that along with a colorless blender are my favorites
View attachment 181130
Wheel faces and truck frames were weathered with Vallejo Panzer Aces #302 dark rust
I like the looks of those hand rails, (looking at the caboose) nice work!

Dave LASM

I second that....and I'm the least of the lesser mortals :)
If you go back to the start TomO's weathering thread he's kindly explained his process and how he gets various weathering effects, I copied and printed them all out and they sit next to my paint box so I have a readily available "bible" to work from.

And there is no reason you can't do this, if this idiot (me) can get half-decent results no reason you can't do the same, probably far better.

Very nice job, you'll also have to show us through your process next time so us lesser mortals can learn. 😀
I think I might have mentioned something when I first started posting here recently. The easiest and really good looking weathering job is with a wash of either of two oil artists tube type paints , just a small amount pressed in a small bottle like the kind you would buy your normal modeling paint in or if you don't have an empty bottle the the size of a whiskey glass would do. Fill the rest of the way with Mineral Spirits and you have your wash. Brush it on and immediately brush it back off. You won't remove all the wash because the oil will set in no matter what. From there you can determine if you need to do it again or not. The wash will also settle in crevices and give a nice detailed look. Anyway that's the easiest way, from there it's all about using an airbrush. :)

I think I might have mentioned something when I first started posting here recently. The easiest and really good looking weathering job is with a wash of either of two oil artists tube type paints , just a small amount pressed in a small bottle like the kind you would buy your normal modeling paint in or if you don't have an empty bottle the the size of a whiskey glass would do. Fill the rest of the way with Mineral Spirits and you have your wash. Brush it on and immediately brush it back off. You won't remove all the wash because the oil will set in no matter what. From there you can determine if you need to do it again or not. The wash will also settle in crevices and give a nice detailed look. Anyway that's the easiest way, from there it's all about using an airbrush. :)
Yes thanks for talking about the oil wash method. Lots of different ways that we all weather.

The original idea with this thread was to show our models, describe the way and the products used to weathered them and discuss them. Constructive criticism is #1 on this thread and very much encouraged. We don’t mind if you don’t like something just tell us why and how to correct it.

I think that philosophy has held up well.

The thing about weathering methods is if you personally don’t like the effect you created it is fairly easy to remove it and start over. The other thing is we all evolve, many of my methods have changed from ideas and discussions here on this Continuous weathering thread (TomO) and the one on CambriaArea51’s (Tom) Locomotive thread . Alan’s (espeefan) thread on passenger cars has been very helpful with ideas and I know has helped me fix some decal issues. Alan is an airbrush guru.

But we need involved readers. Show your weathered models and discuss them as you did with oil washes. Thanks for being here…

Rolling stock, not so much any more…
iu.jpeg

reference
IMG_9846.jpeg

bought model obviously used the reference photo too
i found it by accident
IMG_9852.jpeg

some colour and I want a view through the windows so drew sone ‘distant’ bushes
IMG_3259.jpeg

I used warhammer paints at the dirty colours work
glue added
IMG_3260.jpeg

texture added
IMG_4724.jpeg

not quite on topic, but in the ballpark if you squint hard
in a vw graveyard

added to a safari area the train passes
IMG_9864.jpeg

…strolls off check over shoulder in case Tom‘s hand appears and slaps me :) ….nope all clear whistles off key…..

Back