Where do you buy your trains from?

I don't have a LHS, so I've been using Lombard Hobbies

Here the last few years Scaletrains has gotten the bulk of my hobby loot, and I purchase direct from them..

I did get most of my stuff online from ModelTrainStuff (MTS), but no more. I've gotten a few things at my local hobby shop (Model Train Crossing), but most things have been online from MTS, YankeeDabbler, Trainworld, and I have a locomotive pre-ordered direct from Athearn. I want to get a ScaleTrains locomotive, but gotta save up for that.

If you're in the DFW metroplex on the west side, Model Train Crossing is a great place to stop by. Lots of O and HO stuff, but some N scale also.

I order direct from Scaletrains, ClassOneModelWorks and Homeshops.net

I have 3 what I consider local shops to me. 1 is 5 miles away (Madison Hobby Stop), 75 (Hiawatha Hobbies) and 120 miles (Lombard Hobby) away.

I buy regularly online from Lombard Hobby, MidwestmodelRR and SpringCreek.

Occasionally fromYankee Dabbler, Tony’s trains, Iron Planet, ssb4dcc.com, dickbick.com and Scalemodelhobbyist.com

I am a buyer who looks for the best deal that also includes possible taxes and shipping costs

I have no loyalty to any shop either online or in person

I order direct from Scaletrains, ClassOneModelWorks and Homeshops.net

I have 3 what I consider local shops to me. 1 is 5 miles away (Madison Hobby Stop), 75 (Hiawatha Hobbies) and 120 miles (Lombard Hobby) away.

I buy regularly online from Lombard Hobby, MidwestmodelRR and SpringCreek.

Occasionally fromYankee Dabbler, Tony’s trains, Iron Planet, ssb4dcc.com, dickbick.com and Scalemodelhobbyist.com

I am a buyer who looks for the best deal that also includes possible taxes and shipping costs

I have no loyalty to any shop either online or in person
Tom (and others),
Do you recommend Lombard Hobby and MidwestmodelRR? I've seen a lot of stuff from them. Always open to finding a good deal plus an item that I might not find elsewhere.

Tom (and others),
Do you recommend Lombard Hobby and MidwestmodelRR? I've seen a lot of stuff from them. Always open to finding a good deal plus an item that I might not find elsewhere.
My top 3 recommendations as online and brick and mortar stores are:

Hiawathahobbies.com they r in Pewaukee, Wi. 1/2 mile off of i94

Lombardhobby.com they r in Lombard, Il

Midwestmodelrr.com and they are in Independence, Missouri

Any of these 3 in my book are interchangeable. Great sized clean stores with even better knowledgeable employee staffs. All three have tremendous online websites that IMO are easy to navigate and offer decent shipping rates. Very seldom have I ordered something from any of these 3 stores where the inventory shown was incorrect.

There are lots of other great stores out there but these are my 3 main go to. For online though it’s Lombard, Midwest and Hiawatha. I usually get Lombard orders next day.

my other choices
IMG_4308.png

Has anyone any experience with this place? They have no address or phone number shown on the web-page. Looks like a drop ship place based on their description of "in stock" category. I'm still skeptical. Their prices seem to be about 20% lower than the other lowest prices I can find.
https://www.trainmastermodels.com

Has anyone any experience with this place? They have no address or phone number shown on the web-page. Looks like a drop ship place based on their description of "in stock" category. I'm still skeptical. Their prices seem to be about 20% lower than the other lowest prices I can find.
https://www.trainmastermodels.com
I've never dealt with them but the address can be found if you click on the "About us" at the bottom of the page, but no phone no. or contact email ??
Main page says PreOder and not Pre order ?

The address does come back for a store called Trainmaster, and they accept PayPal, so if you use that method of payment if you don't get what you paid for at least you wont lose anything.

Last edited:

Back