Running Bear's Coffee Shop May 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bob - you know how I finally got that photo of the gang by the Branson Scenic Railroad engine to post right-side-up?? - I saved it on my computer sideways, then posted it to my message on the forum and the forum program turned it right-side up!! That's insane.

Reactions: bob
Johnny .... I post from my Flickr account directly into the post body. .... I copy code from Flickr and paste it here. Then I remove parts of the code that have my name, the photo name, and "Flickr".

Afternoon All,

Started this morning with some small sections of blue sky but that's gone now. It looks like another week of rain like last week because of a rainmaker running up the west coast again. Did some chores earlier then put trim on the second long side and glued the 4 outside walls together then glued in the 3 interior braces. I thought I was going to have to trim the interior walls (width) but they were fine as they were:). Tomorrow I need to do the trim on the 2 exterior end pieces.

It was great to see the dinner train pictures and I'm glad everyone had a good time.

Terry- I can't believe your lack of luck.

Willie- Great photos. Can you use tumbleweeds as armature for your trees? Neat crop duster photos.

Chet- Amazing track photo. I just watched the layout video (forgot about it) and it is impressive. I especially liked the snow shed and would like to put one on the layout but alas it doesn't fit in.

Garry/Johnny- It looks like a good time was had by all.

20180521_141106.jpg

20180521_141133.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

I forgot to mention we saw redneck restaurant next to the highway in Missouri named Stray Dog BBQ. I’m thinking of using that name for a currently unnamed restaurant on my layout. I’m thinking of having the next door business being a flea market. LOL

Johnny ... again it was a pleasure meeting you and Dina . I looked up the school you are associated with , and it looked interesting to me.

I forgot to mention we saw redneck restaurant next to the highway in Missouri named Stray Dog BBQ. I’m thinking of using that name for a currently unnamed restaurant on my layout. I’m thinking of having the next door business being a flea market. LOL

Johnny ... again it was a pleasure meeting you and Dina . I looked up the school you are associated with , and it looked interesting to me.
If you really wanted to be politically incorrect, you could have Chin's Dog Kennel & Chinese Buffet...

Looking for these TTX decals
1526946662217.png

or the earlier
1526947203494.png

Can find the much earlier Trailer Train ones, but not these later ones

Reactions: bob
Good morning everyone. 65 and foggy here in SW MO, heading for 85 and sunny today.

Taking the day off work and plan to do some outdoor stuff as well as train room stuff.

Willie - like those crop duster photos
Chet - photos of your layout do intimidate me somewhat, but also give me lots of ideas
Garry - same here - was good to meet you and Shelly and your friends and spend time together.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. Let's see, Weather Underground station one mile south shows 65° and I see clear skies but very foggy at ground level. Need a new battery in my outdoor sensor/transmitter. I could walk out to the train shed and look at the antique thermometer, but it's dark and I don't have shoes on yet. Dried out enough that I mowed the SW and West sides of the estate yesterday, maybe get the North today. It's weedeater time again, specifically around the pool before my wife gets bit by some bug and blames me.
Out in the train shed yesterday, I continued on my "phase II" project, adding the additional roads, sprucing up the recently added ground cover and running trains through the area just to see how they looked. Over on the workbench, I made a few more "Super Trees" for another almost complete area. I also started stringing electric line through five poles that will be added to the smalltown business district when I complete this whole area. It marks the first time that I am actually going to add wires to power poles. Tedious so far, but the final result will be worth it, I hope. I had previously drilled tiny holes through all of the insulators on these poles in anticipation of this step.
Thanks to all who commented on the latest round of museum pictures; as well as the crop duster set, Chet, Garry, Curt, Johnny and all others that I may have missed. While I have been to some better museums in my travels, this one ranks up there in the top five; especially considering that it is all volunteer and subsists on donations and admission fees.

There's only me, and 30 guests on at 7:26pm. 0 + 10 GMT.
Same here at 4:00am, 0 - 5 GMT.

Chet - Yes there is sagebrush in Texas, just not near me. Texas varieties grow in sandy soils, and I have heavy black clay. Yes the crop duster pilots are nuts. This fellow used to fly under the power lines as well, until the trees along the fence-rows got too tall. He may do it elsewhere still. He has also landed on our road before. While risky, I might enjoy a trip that close to the ground...once! He eventually did a number of other jobs around me yesterday, taking advantage of the absolutely wind-free day. He was fertilizing sorghum and Sudan hay fields.
Willie might wet his drawers over that Frisco caboose.
Not me, but Sherrel.o_O I do like Frisco though, it's the only foreign power on my whole layout. Love that cream and orange paint scheme.
Garry/Johnny - Thanks for all the photos that you guys have posted from your get-togther. Glad that everyone had a safe and enjoyable trip. Good luck catching up on the missed yardwork!:cool:
Johnny - I save all of my photos into folders on the computer and then add them to posts using "Insert Image". I never have any issues. I truly hope that you find the gremlin and cast it out.
Curt - I never thought about using tumbleweed for tree armatures. We do have it sometimes in early winter. Neat idea, Thanks. Looks like you're moving right along on your structure.

No pictures today as I figure out which ones that I have posted and those that I haven't. Well OK, I see one that I definitely haven't posted, a lash-up of Athearn SD40-2's. These were from a pretty recent run (2012???) after they added operating cab windows. Due to so many projects before me, I haven't had an opportunity to weather them yet. Same with painting and ballasting the track here.
05-20-18 027.001.JPG
While you cannot tell from this picture, the trailing unit represents one after ATSF moved the horn to mid-long hood, and the headlights to the nose of the short hood instead of above the windshield. Both were done at the requests of crew members.

Fog is lifting so I can go for my walk. Everyone have a good day, whichever one it is!

Willie

Good morning. 46 degrees with a few clouds. We may get up to 70 today. Supposed to be a bit cooler the next few days.

Curt - Thanks for the comments and glad you watched the video. I also am a fan of the snow shed. That man did some outstanding work considering that he didn't have the access to supplies like we do today. The building is looking good. I assume that it is some kind of a warehouse.

Johnny - Don't get intimidated. I could have a few more years of experience and practice working on the layout. Took over 30 years to get this far.

Willie - I have considered adding power lines somewhere on the layout but again, procrastination set in. I can just see myself dragging my hand through the layout and creating one heck of a 1/87 power outage. I have thought about getting some of the super trees, but as of now, don't know where I would put them. Like the Santa Fe lash up. A bit of weathering will really make a difference.

Years ago I worked at out airport for an FBO and we had a few pilots who kept their crop dusters in hangars we had. One guy from out of state kept his P 51 with us. Chuck Hall was a snow bird as well as a great pilot. The first sign of a snowflake would have him heading south.

p-51.jpg

When ever he was coming in to land, the tower would ask him to do a fly by. There is absolutely nothing that sounds like a P-51. I was lucky enough to have gone up with him a couple of times and was with him when he did a fly by at about 50 feet off of the runway. I will admit that I had a good grip on the seat when he did that at about 275 mph. Pucker power.

I'll take off early today. My friend will pick me up at home to go over and pick up a rental at the airport. Costo has some very competitive rates and do not charge extra for a second drive as most other rental agencies do.

Here's a rail picture for today.

3483f67a-cfb9-4395-8c73-f59f559aed71.JPG

Later

Lazy morning today in King George, VA.
I'll be heading out tomorrow morning to Athens, TN for a stop over and then on to Gadsden on Thursday.
Intermittent rain today so I'll just stay inside unless I can see a break in the rain, then I'll go out for a 3 mile walk.
Heck, I might even wander on downstairs and run some trains today.

GoodMorning Gang: 54 degrees and low overcast- the "June Gloom" has arrived early this year. It was mostly overcast all day yesterday. I am still suffering RV lag, but managed to almost clean out the coach and dump the holding tanks into the sewer cleanout in the driveway.
Spousal Unit and I have decided that we must have a few hundred pounds of "stuff" on board that we really don't need, so it's lighten up time. Today;s mission is vacuum really good and clean the bug juice off the front surfaces.
In other news - picked up my pickup yesterday - it runs nice again- the cost was a meer $952.00! :eek: - I think everything was replaced except the block.

Garry/Johnny - Great time looks like you all had and good photos of all. I like the paint on both of the units, but what happened to the portholes on the F Unit?
Glad to see that one of the side door cabooses was saved. My favorite Frisco cabs are the ones that they got from the Santa Fe.
1526996658333.png

Johnny .... I post from my Flickr account directly into the post body. .... I copy code from Flickr and paste it here. Then I remove parts of the code that have my name, the photo name, and "Flickr".

With the new server and the new software, I encourage you to post your photos directly to this site. It's not required, you may still use Flickr or any other site if you'd like, or you already have the images there and it's easier. However, keep in mind that if they do something to change the urls or if they pull a Photobucket and discontinue third party hosting, your images will break.

You should now be able to upload full sized images to the forum without needing to do any re-sizing, the forum will do that for you.

Airplane photos? Did I log into RCplanes.com by mistake? (Bob wonders if he should start a new website...)

Just kidding, this is the "off-topic topic" and plane photos are fine. Since you're posting plane photos, I might as well join in the fun. Here's a few from last Saturday.

BD8_8430.jpg

BD8_8737-Edit.jpg

BD8_9688-Edit.jpg

Good Morning Everyone....some what overcast and cool in Wisconsin.

First day of actual kitchen remodel. So far, so good.

No trains today.

That's all for now.

Greg

Bob - Those are some really fine photos. I worked at Arlins for a few years. Back in the 70's I did a lot of flying and even got my rotor rating while on the Highway Patrol. My cousin kept his Cessna 421 in Fort Lauderdale because his Lear couldn't land at some of the islands he went to off the Florida coast. During the 80's and 90's it was a bit too expensive for me to get seat time and working at Arlins allowed me to meet people and get re certified. Worked there for a few years.

We had the military contract and always had an assortment of military aircraft coming in. Here is yours truly fueling and F-18.

f-18.jpg

We hasted a number of air shows and had the Blue Angels in while I was working there. That was a real hoot. We also had a few people who some war birds. Here's a photo pf the old and the new. Both are trainers. The jet had some major electronic problems when it was struck by lightning shortly after taking off. It returned and the Navy sent a crew up to repair it.

old-new.jpg

Here are some A-10s that we serviced. Sure would like to try to fly one of those. In talking to the pilots, they are a lot of fun.

a-10s.jpg

Here are a few war birds that have passed through.

b17-01.jpg

collings-04.jpg

collings-02.jpg

We had Air Force One fly in and Arlins called me to help with the panic because my security clearance was still active. Beautiful plane.

af1landing-d.jpg

Here they are unloading Marine One off of the C-17.

c-17unloadingh-60-a.jpg

c-17.jpg

c-5-tail.jpg

One rather large aircraft.

I really enjoyed working there and meeting so many interesting people. Donald Rumsfeld (Secretary of Defence) used to fly in in his G-5 Gulfstream as his wife was from Livingston. Richard Childress, Nascar car owner had a place in the Paradise Valley south of Livingston and came in quite often to take a break during the race season. Come Christmas, he would give everyone a case of wine from his winery.

I love planes almost as much as trains.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chet: Some really nice images. F-4 was always my favorite coal-burner. Had an opportunity to be on the ground during a strafing run by an A-10. Awesome just doesn't cover it. B-17 are still among my favorites for delivering iron on target. B-24 are so ugly that only a mother could love them. The photo of the C-17 giving birth to the Sea King is great.

I envy your working with these birds. Must have been a great job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back