Recent content by russell

1. russell

N Scale Sound Locomotives

Has anyone bought these Athearn locomotives that are DCC with sound? If yes, how do they run? Do they keep running well after some use? Any meltdowns? I heard them in a hobby shop on the test track and was impressed by the sound. Hoping or some news :).
  2. russell

New here from Canada

Hi, I too have CN and CP locomotives. I'd like to add some short line locos also, like the Quebec & Gatineau just to get away from the red colour schemes a bit. Via would be good too. I used to model in HO but now I am starting out in N-scale. Have a nice weekend.
  3. russell

Kato Unitrack Questions

Tuna wrote, That's interesting and encouraging. I have a Kato and an old MRC Tech II power packs and just got the NCE Power Cab. I can't try it yet as I do not have a DCC equipped locomotive. I haven't even unwrapped it. As I get started and inevitably have problems, I'll post, and...
  4. russell

New here from Canada

Welcome. Hope you have a good time. What do you collect? What scale do you like? Cheers.
  5. russell

Weekly Photo Fun 2/26 -3/04

Very nice bridge and a nice shot Ted. And Rico nice looking factory in the background. Those workie guys standing around doing nothing, talking about something, maybe will eventually be doing something. Looks like the guys re-doing the sewers in my neighbourhood. :D Love the photos!
  6. russell

Which decoder should I get

Thanks again to all. It's like camping, sitting around the campfire, chatting and learning. I'm here, sipping my steaming coffee, and eager for spring. I can smell it. What I'm learning is that things are seldom the way they seem. Toyguy wrote, I hadn't thought of that. I'll have to pry the...
  7. russell

Thanks Trent. That's as clear as can be.
  8. russell

First of all, thank you both. Imacattack, you wrote, Will the NCE Power Cab have enough power to do this without buying something extra like a booster? You also wrote, When you say 'program track,' does track refer to a real physical rail track as in a test track, or does it mean a...
  9. russell

I have an Atlas Silver-Master GP40 locomotive which Atlas describes as DCC ready. See the photo below. Also, I plan on getting a NCE Power Cab. What sound decoder should I get for an easy installation? Also, will programming the decoder be a problem with the Power Cab? Is my hope for EASY...
  10. russell

Boston Model Train Shops

I'm still taking notes. :) Thank you all for your help. It looks like I'll be having fun :D.
  11. russell

Boston Model Train Shops

Thank you Eric. I'm taking notes. I'll be there with my car and so that a HS is a bit away from the Boston's core isn't a problem.
  12. russell

For Canadian railway fans, last weeks's Rick Mercer Report

I loved the video and Rick was great. So were all the CP people.
  13. russell

Boston Model Train Shops

I will be in the Boston area in early April. Does anyone know of good Boston Train Shops or even local internet shops especially for n-scale? I'd like to buy some items without paying shipping and Canadian border taxes. :) Thanks.
  14. russell

He who hesitates is ..... Careful

Larry thank you. I'll be having a look at those sites you mentioned. I agree, the forum is a God send. It not only helps but is a pleasure in itself. It's fun to share a pleasure/hobby with others from across the U.S., Canada and elsewhere. I've ordered my Unitrack from an American internet...
  15. russell

He who hesitates is ..... Careful

Thanks Terry. The information you gave about switchers is news to me and nice to know. The MSRP is $115 and $150 for without and with decoder respectively.

Back