Recent content by Retired Alex

1. R

Assembly instructions

There are several for sale on eBay. Contact one of the sellers and see if they would copy and send you a set of instructions. May cost a couple of $, it has worked for me in the past.
  2. R

Increasing locomotive top speed

According to the manual, page 20, this indicates your command station and decoder are not set to the same speed steps. Suggest you read the manual to determine the procedures to correct this.
  3. R

Metal handrail stanchions

This is the way I have been doing handrails for quite some time now.
  4. R

How to make a Control Panel?

Do a search on You Tube, all kinds of examples of how to construct and wire a control panel.
  5. R

Mantua 2-6-6-2T

After 4 months of being laid up and 2 stints in the hospital I am finally getting back into the train room. I finished up this project today and here she is, fresh from the shops after a complete strip down and refurbish. She still needs a rear light but all in stock are the wrong size. A trip...
  6. R

How did your model railroad hobby begin?

For Christmas 1952 my parents got me a Lionel train set. a NYC Hudson, with smoke and a whistling tender. I still have it and it still runs. During my latter teens trains were not a priority and it wasn't until after I got married that I got into HO scale. My wife was working in retail and the...
  7. R

Mantua Mikado rebuild

Turning the wheels around will cause problems. One side is insulated and all insulated wheels have to be on the same side. Turning one set around will cause an immediate short (overload). Also insure that the insulated wheels on the tender are on the opposite side to the insulated wheels on the...
  8. R

No layout? What is your favorite part of hobby?

Here's one post, not overly detailed http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?39608-Mantua-4-6-2-Restoration&highlight=retired+alex
  9. R

No layout? What is your favorite part of hobby?

My passion is buying up old steam engine junkers and restoring them back to running condition.
  10. R

Model Railroading in the 50s and 60s.

To your list of early manufacturers I would add Varney and Aristocraft. I have a number of their engines and rolling stock and find the detail, while not up to modern standards, quite acceptable.
  11. R

Gluing Die Cast Parts

I have posed almost the same question on various boards and the general consensus is that the longevity of the epoxy glues is much longer than that of CA glues.
  12. R

Styrene help

What about trying a recycling building supply and see if a sheet of paneling from a tub surround is available? There used to be a couple in Ottawa, don't know if they are still around or not.
  13. R

Improving the Appearance of Stewart FT/F3/F7 Headlights

By definition "perpendicular" means to be at right angles to a given line whether that line is vertical, horizontal or any angle in between. So he was correct in his first statement.
  14. R

Latest Video - Layout Progress #9 Terrain from start to finish

Just my opinion, and as he said in the video, he could have used cardboard but just chose to do it that way. We all have our preferences.
  15. R

Latest Video - Layout Progress #9 Terrain from start to finish

The layout is being designed to be portable to take to shows, etc. Therefore it has to be sturdier than a permanent home layout.

Back