Recent content by new2nscale

1. N

painting advice needed

hello: I did a spray job on a model transport bus, from a Testors Model Master can. The paint went on well, but the finish on the bus is WAY too shiny. To dull this unrealistic shine, should I simply spray the bus with Testors dullcote, or instead lightly sand with high-grit sanhdpaper to...
  2. N

remind me please (using regulary battery for Kato turnout switch)

Hello: A while back someone suggested its okay to use a 1.5 volt battery to power the Kato (unitrack) switch machine. They explained the power needed to throw the switch need NOT be high, & I want to explore this possibility. Any other N scalers ever tried using a simple Duracell 1.5 volt...
  3. N

Is this still "model railroading" ???

Worth it ! The risk I took of looking for attention was hugely offset by the replies I am able to show the aforementioned wife. Currently that is a "+7" (replies that is) !!
  4. N

Is this still "model railroading" ???

I am interested in opinions on this site regarding something I struggle with at times. Am I still railroad modelling when I go to various shops to look and to buy ? What about perusing magazines or sites online ? I know getting our hands dirty with hydrocal or stringing code #____ wire under...
  5. N

Flasher for NJ international crossbucks/lights

flasher module Thanks...just what I need and at a good price... now just a simple spst switch and my n-scale motorists are safe !!:)
  6. N

simple flasher for crossbucks & lights...

Hello: When I was in HO scale, I had a "Busch" crossing signal flasher that was "all in one", the pkg came with 2 signals, and a flashing unit. It cost around 30 dollars. Now I am in N, I purchased a NJ International (2) crossing signals, for about 30 dollars. I want to operate them with a...
  7. N

Swapping MT couplers (only) with McHenry's

Has anyone out there swapped out the couplers only (not the box) of the MT's with McHenry's ?? Operating N scale Athearn gondolas I found the McHenry's (supplied with Athearn) operated better than the MT couplers... How hard is it to insert McHenry couplers into the truck-mounted MT coupler...
  8. N

Flasher for NJ international crossbucks/lights

Hello: When I was in HO scale, I had a "Busch" crossing signal flasher that was "all in one", the pkg came with 2 signals, and a flashing unit. It cost around 30 dollars. Now I am in N, I purchased a NJ International (2) crossing signals, for about 30 dollars. I want to operate them with a...
  9. N

Atlas vs Microtrains couplers: is Atlas as good?

#24 03-22-2013, 01:00 AM new2nscale Switchman Join Date: Jul 2011 Posts: 34 I have lots of Microtrains 40 ft box cars and gondola's. The slinky effect drives me nuts, but do not want to install body mounts on all of them....is there no company I could take the MT shell's off and...
  10. N

Atlas vs Microtrains couplers: is Atlas as good?

I have lots of Microtrains 40 ft box cars and gondola's. The slinky effect drives me nuts, but do not want to install body mounts on all of them....is there no company I could take the MT shell's off and just place the shell onto the body mounted different coupler ?? I love the variety and...
  11. N

what are the chances......??

I know..... NY......as much as I hate to admit it, you're probably right. There is most likely a bunch of other projects in the pipeline that will be adressed first. And if things turn bad again economy-wise, who knows what will be curtailed, maybe for good ???? I know that whenever I go and...
  12. N

athearn fp's yes, athearn, in their genesis line, offers the fp 7 in: -SP, UP, SOO, C&O, PENN, Cotton Belt, MILW, PRR, WP, and RDG So I'm thinkin'......why not the CPR in their classic tuscan & grey??
  13. N

painting a unit Any suggestions as to custom painters ?? And why the negative comments re: the chances of Athearn doing it ?? This was a VERY popular color scheme that was in use 1952 until 1968 all across Canada. Other companies (even Athearn in their R-T-R line) have these [CPR] road colors...
  14. N

chances I'm not talking about a personal paint job....I'm simply suggesting (asking ?) they apply CPR's "maroon and grey" color scheme to their FP 7 locomotive in HO. I'm certain it would be a good seller, and am willing to buy a few at the $379.00 price tag (A & B units together). Do companies...
  15. N

Anyone out there with any idea what the chances are (if any) that a company will take a customers' request to heart and produce a model ? I wrote Athearn today (via Horizon) and enquired about them painting the already-produced HO FP 7 loco in a particular road. Obviously new tooling &...

Back