Recent content by jfb

1. J

just finished!

well I just finished with my layout guys and I know I have not posted for a while. I am just telling those who have not finished yet a few things for easier finishing technics. 1. plan .2. go to train swap meets for cost control. 3 persistence and discipline and just stay on it. 4, near the end...
  2. J

Walthers HO street lamp have problems

I agree the new lights and pricing do not mean quality. I use model power and old lifelike lights for mine and have had almost zero problems but it is more work to do but worth it. I have models from walthers that have come bent and need filling in some areas plus painting to make them correct...
  3. J

Train show preperation

I go to train shows august to january mostly that's when I find most things I need. I would suggest that you scope out the show beforehand somehow and adjust your pricing for selling. I will after I am done building sell off my small amount leftover and I mean small amount of items. doing a...
  4. J

a flip up for a walthers steel mill around 30 inches max height.

file cabinet rollers. r:) I will get file cabinet slides or tool box slides with steel wheels for durability, I know either will hold weight from experiences at my job. I use steel wheels for my work area and the secretaries use them for heavy file cabinet drawers over 150 pds for 2 slides...
  5. J

thanks guys using something to stop the adjustment of height was great,maybe a thick bolt and nut? I looked up file cabinet slides in general and for anybody who is thinking the same 2 slides hold 150 lbs plenty for any board plus models and they can easily be placed on the thick fascia pieces...
  6. J

thanks but the question stands how do you stop file cabinet slides at the heights needed? or is a rope and pulley system better this board is against a wall in a area of my basement and no it is not u shaped in the middle it is a tight room fit wall to wall period and this is needed for access...
  7. J

Guess I am committed

I used for a hill in west Indiana that also is a coal mine stacked foam carved painted black and pillow foamed with green lichen for a deep presence.
  8. J

Now this is dedication!

hey guys fyi get tight with train swap meet wholesalers it will I guarantee save you a lot in the future it definitely did with my entire layout and a lot of time will be saved with pre built models plus they will be already weathered.
  9. J

Wiring basics Info needed

this is with the idea of this thread. stay away from suitcase connectors as much as possible. I do auto work also and have seen these connectors go bad for whatever reason and they were also top shelf quality. the power strips can be bought with a live board or a one hook up of power that is...
  10. J

Roll Off Dumpster search

check train shows around you or contact a vendor from the dupage county il monthly train show. I go to this show from august thru usually January for materials and have seen a few for around 5 to 10 bucks tops. get tight with someone who does wholesale buying for the shows.
  11. J

Stringing Utility Pole Wiring

how about using black super thin wire it is what I will use for my lines and I have seen it used at a few shows it looks great. I first saw this in Kansas city and there club has a pretty good layout that is impressive and they showed me a few of there tricks when we tossed ideas around. the...
  12. J

I have no way of uploading photos. picture the walthers steel mill structures side by side length by length 31 width by 72 long with around 12 to 14 inches open area also 58 long by a wall that I would be flipping towards. I have today off and tomorrow. I also have a electrical yard at one...
  13. J

Michael exactly it would rotate upwards on hinges off of the wall studs like a swinging door but up. I am looking at that or file cabinet slides to raise the board or maybe pulleys and rope or chain what do you guys think is the best way for elevation I truly do not want trouble with any of...
  14. J

I posted earlier and am just about out of time for research. I am starting Friday night. how about a flip up with a 31 x72 board max 30 inches high but I can be wrong. I measured without the towers in place yet. I also have around 11 inches towards the wall studs of open space for a roadway. I...
  15. J

model power lights.

I also understand the parts traffic through the swap meets and know when to go to them usually august through December in January the products drop off that need to be bought.

Back