a flip up for a walthers steel mill around 30 inches max height.

jfb

I posted earlier and am just about out of time for research. I am starting Friday night. how about a flip up with a 31 x72 board max 30 inches high but I can be wrong. I measured without the towers in place yet. I also have around 11 inches towards the wall studs of open space for a roadway. I am also securing the buildings with wood pegs and liquid nails into 1 inch foam. does anybody think a flip up would work and have adequate clearance? I also suggested file cabinet slides vertical on the wall for a up and down motion. 31 to around 50 inches of height. I was wondering again has anybody had success with these ideas this is very important and costly if a mistake is made. by the way this is a walthers electric furnace,blast furnace and coke retort and a electric producer and yard plus towers. max 30 to 35 inches high and 22 wide at the biggest points. I have a ton of time invested and the rest came from swap meets and gifts.

I would love to be able to help, but I have absolutely no idea of what you are talking about?
Let's start simple .. What is a FLIP UP?

I think he's talking about the entire layout, being able to flip/rotate the table up and out of the way when not in use. Right?

Michael exactly it would rotate upwards on hinges off of the wall studs like a swinging door but up. I am looking at that or file cabinet slides to raise the board or maybe pulleys and rope or chain what do you guys think is the best way for elevation I truly do not want trouble with any of it.by the way this is for a 30 to 31 x72 inch area only. I have a swing down for access to the rest of my layout and a swing down would be a earthquake for a steel mill area. this layout is filling a third of my basement closed off.

I have no way of uploading photos. picture the walthers steel mill structures side by side length by length 31 width by 72 long with around 12 to 14 inches open area also 58 long by a wall that I would be flipping towards. I have today off and tomorrow. I also have a electrical yard at one end plus towers for power distribution to all areas and that is around 14 inches long and 17 inches of open area in width. I checked out file cabinet slides today and it would be easy to put them on the wall studs with long screws and then use l brackets to secure the board but how can I stop the different heights needed 32 to 50 plus? wooden studs cut or what guys all of you have more experience then me in this area and I appreciate the on going advice.

Rope and pulley systems have been used for "4x8" type layouts, but if yours is modular or around the wall, that would be more difficult. I've seen club layouts that hooked together for transport and storage. The backdrop board formed the back of the box, another board was used to box it in and then modules were stacked about 3 high.

They were made so that there was a groove so that the backdrop board of one would slide into a slot on the bottom of the one on top, etc.

thanks but the question stands how do you stop file cabinet slides at the heights needed? or is a rope and pulley system better this board is against a wall in a area of my basement and no it is not u shaped in the middle it is a tight room fit wall to wall period and this is needed for access to the rear of the closed off room and closed to kids of course they can be destructive. my next day off is Monday for more work to be done and I have around 100 more hrs to do by january15th before it all functions together and then I work out the small bs. your comments are welcomed I need good advice guys for completion.

I think you're going to have to engineer that yourself. I am not saying it can't be done I am saying no one else has done it yet.
How big is the area that will flip up? If I understand your question correctly, could you put pegs or something similar as stops underneath the sliding section. Those cabinet hinges are designed to hold ~10 lbs of wieght so if you have a large area I would use something else.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Some way to put 'stop pins' along the file cabinet slides would hold them in place however high you want.

thanks guys using something to stop the adjustment of height was great,maybe a thick bolt and nut? I looked up file cabinet slides in general and for anybody who is thinking the same 2 slides hold 150 lbs plenty for any board plus models and they can easily be placed on the thick fascia pieces of the room attached to wall studs. I am of course putting them within my heights needed. thanks and good luck to all of you it is the season to get it done!

If you make it can you take a picture? I am still not 100% sure of what you're doing from your description.

file cabinet rollers.

r:)
If you make it can you take a picture? I am still not 100% sure of what you're doing from your description.

I will get file cabinet slides or tool box slides with steel wheels for durability, I know either will hold weight from experiences at my job. I use steel wheels for my work area and the secretaries use them for heavy file cabinet drawers over 150 pds for 2 slides. I cannot upload photos my home computer is older and the expense just for uploading pictures is just plain frivolous spending , 1000 plus seems rather expensive when I use it for plain use only. I keep a basic cell phone also and I keep it off when needed like at work etc I do not live on it. I have hobbies summer and winter like this project I am working on now. that is the reason for explaining my situation to you so you can visiualize the situation I have. god luck with yours also and use the fascia in your areas for mounting things it is normally rather sturdy. The studs in the train room are live wired and I do not want to hit a live wire or find out like the stud indicator indicates that they are there. my indicator also does not give a indication of how deep the wires are in the wall. I really have no idea of the screw size to use or get or have on hand. I am not into taking a chance of fire or electrocution or shock. good luck jfb.

Back