Recent content by gnm109

1. G

Class Action Law Suits Against Photobucket

Agreed. There is a backside to lawsuits, though. If you lose, you may well wind up paying the other side for attorney fees and costs. I don't have a copy of their terms and conditions but i'd be surprised if it didn't have an arbitration clause and a choice of whatever state law as well.
  2. G

Class Action Law Suits Against Photobucket

I know this thread is a couple of months old but it's worth mentioning about PhotoBucket. I used it for something like 10 years and had about 250 linked photos. When they turned the photos off, I simply removed all of the photos and deleted my account. I can imagine that there were other people...
  3. G

Suggestions for a book on SP Steam

https://www.amazon.com/Southern-Pacific-Daylight-Locomotives-Robert/dp/1930013116
  4. G

Looking for information on antique Lionel

That's a lovely set of Lionel trains. I love the patina on the locomotive and cars. Were they mine, I would leave them just as they are now that you have the locomotive running well. It's not just that they are more valuable as they are, but they just look better showing their age.
  5. G

I need a "simple"way to detect polarity of a reverse loop for "DC"

Yes, there is a mounting hole in the center of the bridge rectifier shown.The one shown in the picture is a typical package. Whether or not you use a heat sink depends upon your usage. If you run long trains with big locomotives it's wise to have the bridge rectifier mounted on an aluminum heat...
  6. G

I need a "simple"way to detect polarity of a reverse loop for "DC"

I'm a little late to the party here but I thought I would add my .02. There is no need to use a vintage selenium rectifier, especially if there is a chance of starting a fire. Any small rectifier, say something from Radio Shack or eBay will perform nicely. May of them are rated at 25, 50 or even...
  7. G

John Allen's articles in M.R.

I can't imagine a valid complaint about John Allen's articles. I read many of them in M.R. and always found them to be inspiring. It's sad that the layout was lost to a fire after he passed away. It would have been nice to salvage at least a part of it.
  8. G

Finally got a Hobby Lobby in town.

Hobby Lobby here in Sacramento is a nice store. They have a good stock of brushes and acrylic paints and so on, but they don't carry any model railroad or model airplane items. I recall many years ago, that they were much more into those things. There were several train-specific stores here but...
  9. G

just got a airbrush

When you get started, you need to experiment quite a bit. I have found that it's necessary to get the paint rather thin, something like milk. This will prevent clogging. Then, with a light touch you can apply the paint without excess and prevent any runs.
  10. G

just got a airbrush

Hello all. I have two of the Paasche H Model single action Airbrushes. I keep one set up with the #1 tip and the other with a #3. I also have tried the #5 tip but it really puts too much paint out for me. I also have a double action airbrush that came with a Harbor Freight air compressor. It's...
  11. G

LED's and 470 ohm resistors

Thanks. I'll do that.
  12. G

LED and resistor specs/sources?

Part 2. Now, which leg of the LED is which? Well, the long leg is the anode and the short leg is the cathode. Some folks say that you MUST connect the resistor to the cathode and some say the anode but in practice, there doesn't seem to be any difference. I do always check to see if there is...
  13. G

LED's and 470 ohm resistors

Hello. First post here. I tried to edit my profile to show my location (Northern California) but it tells me that I can't do that. LOL. I use lots of LED's on my indoor G Scale RR which is in my barn on the second floor. I have tested the smaller ones with an accurate voltmeter and they turn...

Back