Recent content by CbrandonB

1. C

Start small or a bit bigger?

Thanks, Mike! I was thinking of at least getting a DCS100, if not a DCS240. I'm also considering the new TCS system when it comes out (DCC, LCC, Raillink, etc.) later this year. I'll check out AnyRail. Thanks! Brandon
  2. C

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I'm thinking about getting some CAD software to begin planning this out the best I can. Then I can use layers to represent different steps to completing everything. Brandon
  3. C

Thanks, Bob! flyboy, I would, but I cannot. They were given to me from my father-in-law, and I'm still planning on using some of it, it will just have to be a bit later in life. :) I am selling some of my locomotives that I bought to use at the last club I belonged to. They shut down and...
  4. C

Thanks, Greg! Great idea on asking Digitrax (or maybe even Tonys or someone else well versed in DCC) about this and how to make it work. I think it's because there's a cross over just above Champion Gravel Co. That means the reverse loops would have to interact, I'd think. I could also...
  5. C

I apologize for the delayed reply, gentlemen. I greatly appreciate your input! I'm currently thinking I'd like to build the big one and do it in smaller steps, as everyone has mentioned. Roughly, I want to build the three modules (not TOO worried about benchwork... I have the tools and the...
  6. C

Question for you guys, especially those experienced in building layouts. I found the perfect track layout for my goals running a layout. However, I've not built a layout before and this one isn't a basement empire, but it is pretty large for someone who hasn't built one before and it also would...
  7. C

Bachrus Roller Stand for Big Boy?

It's funny you ask... I ordered mine today from TrainTekLLC.com, I think it was. I believe it was about $79 for a set of rollers and a thing to put the tender of steers on. I can't remember what they call it. I grabbed their DCC Speedometer to go with them, too. Brandon
  8. C

Repower Athearn Blue Box with Kato HM-5?

Thanks for the input! I was thinking I had heard of some fly wheels that would fit on the Kato but allow you to connect the Athearn drive shaft... gonna have to do some more googling when I get some time, unless someone here knows what that is. :) Brandon
  9. C

Repower Athearn Blue Box with Kato HM-5?

Hi all, Has anyone used a Kato HM-5 to repower Athearn Blue Box locos? I've got a set of 4 F7s from the late 80s, early 90s that I'd like to completely revamp and repower, but it bothers me that the repower kits are $60 each, especially since there are 4 of these and quite a few other blue...
  10. C

DIY 8 pin to 9 pin adapter? And other DCC future-proofing questions... :)

Hi all, Anyone ever DIY an 8 pin to 9 pin adapter? I'm thinking about cutting the traces on an 8 pin DC plug and soldering a 9 pin onto it. I will not be paying $8 for one from Soundtraxx, but I also don't want to solder the decoder in. Or maybe I should just solder in a new 9 pin connector...
  11. C

For those of you who transport trains, what do you transport them in?

Thanks for the reply! You bring up a good point. I am still leaning toward waiting to see if I need one and then ordering one if I do, but I may bite the bullet and grab one on the first order. We'll see. :) Brandon
  12. C

Ahhh... Gotcha! Just using one or two at a time is what I'm planning on doing, also. Did you get the foam strips that go between the trains? Brandon Brandon
  13. C

Thanks for the reply, Alan. I really appreciate your input! That is great to know on the capacity. I was also thinking about having each box be a train ready to roll and in order. Although these aren't cheap, they are certainly cheaper and hold more than the other solutions I've seen. The...
  14. C

Ha! I see now. Cars, not trains. :) My bad. Brandon
  15. C

Not quite sure what design you're thinking I'm using, but it wouldn't be anywhere near 200lbs. 3/8" and 1/4" ply would work fine and would certainly be heavier than cardboard, but not 200lbs or even close. I'd say maybe 30 to 40 lbs loaded up with cars and locos. :) Brandon

Back