Recent content by budinoh

1. B

Anyone Using Kato Uni-Track? Pics Please!

If you can't trust the word of your local hobbyshop dealer, who are you gonna trust? Who cares if they use it?
  2. B

Anyone Using Kato Uni-Track? Pics Please!

Kato unitrack can get expensive if you plan to do a whole railroad kingdom with it. But, so can flex and cork and Peco switches. I just paid 15.00 ea for 2 Peco #6 switches for the yard feeds and the Unitrack #6 switches would have only cost me 18.00 ea. My answer was to do my mainline in...
  3. B

Modeling large bodies of water

I bought a piece of it broken for a buck. Cut it into a few different pieces so I could try different colors. I found the darker, deep colors flowed through and looked good but the lighter colors didn't come through as well. I is something I will experiment a bit more. Got a new location for my...
  4. B

Modeling large bodies of water

On my new N-scale layout I have about 18 sq.ft of water to model. The bulk of which is one 2'x6' bay inlet. The water here would be choppy and definitely not still and smooth. Envirotex and other materials would cost a fortune so I am looking for a cheaper way. I looked at the pre-done sheets by...
  5. B

Shelf Layout

I don't have alot of switching experience but I can't figure out how you would get into the industry spurs. Looks like the switch is the last piece of track on the left if the blue line is the layout perimeter.
  6. B

Track clearance

Gotta get some stuff cleaned up before pics can come. With benchwork done, I can concentrate on organizing stuff underneath. Will post some soon.
  7. B

Track clearance

I had thought I had overdone it but my joist are about 9" apart and the roadbed is supported by 1x3 risers. I put the levels at 2" tall to be sure I left enough space.
  8. B

Track clearance

I am in the middle of installing my sub-roadbed on my N-scale layout. I am using 1/4" luann strips cut to hold Kato Unitrack. In one area of my layout I have a bridge that crosses the track over another track. My overall plan will be to have intermodal at some point after layout is running. I do...
  9. B

N Scale is so lonely

Guys, How many of you find the desire to run trains with others but can't seem to find guys in your scale? Other than the Ntrak clubs, I can't find anyone who even runs N Scale. I have a nice 18x18 foot garage with which to start a new layout and can't find 1 N Scale guy in the whole town...
  10. B

Reckless Collecting

Hey Mike, where in central Oh are you located?
  11. B

N scale engine amps

Anyone know where I can find the operating amps for Atlas engines? Need to determine what size power supply to buy for my DCC system. I know how many trains I want to run, just need to figure out the amps combined. Thanks, Jeff
  12. B

new guy and overwhelmed here.

Guys correct me if I am wrong here but if his top is 3' wide on the ends shouldn't he be able to get a 16" radius curve on the outside? Granted, he would need some flex track but wouldn't that be possible? I was steered away from sectional track as a beginner from the start. Too limiting. Jeff
  13. B

Train Shows

Well I returned last night to Ohio from the Timonium show. Glad others found deals because for me it was a waste. I spent twice as much on the expense to get there as I did at the show. Only deal I found was at the computer sale and show. Got a nice all in one HP with a 23" screen for 350.00...
  14. B

Atlas vs Microtrains couplers: is Atlas as good?

The knuckle on mine actually broke. Too much pull on them. After the second one broke, I never tried it again. Same run of cars though. It was the atlas covered hoppers with the paint over lettering. All released at the same time. Maybe they knew of the problem and retooled them? Can't say...
  15. B

Need quick help

I am wiring my layout at the moment with dc. I am using kato unitrack with their unijoiner track feeders. This is a double loop dogbone with single track for about 4' going over a bridge. I have 2 cab control with 18 blocks using spdt toggles. The kato turnouts are power routing and have gaps at...

Back