Recent content by bsmart

1. bsmart

Running Bear's Coffee Shoppe LIX

BigE More than the train Gods were working in your neighborhood. No matter what caused the bike accident someone caused that bike to stop in your font yard. No matter how bad the accident was it may have been better than where he was heading without having figured a good way to decompress.
  2. bsmart

Good Morning It is 10 degrees under a bright sunny sky here in the Middletown Valley Louis - Yep we survived another blizzard. For all the complaints about not getting streets plowed quickly enough the power companies get a shout out for the general lack of power outages. I haven't been to the...
  3. bsmart

Not a problem! Not often I can claim much expertise with this group so I'm glad to help where I can. I agree with the 'Face your fears' is CRAP sentiment Heights and I don't get along and never had. If anything it is getting WORSE as I get older! My son was ABN qualified. Us Air Force...
  4. bsmart

Okay now you are getting into one of my areas of expertise. I was a volunteer docent at the U.S> Army Ordinance Museum at Aberdeen util it was closed and moved to Ft Lee as part of BRAC. The tanks shown in the photos a few pages bank are what some of us would refer to as a 'Frankentank'...
  5. bsmart

I was going to say On the ground :D. Chet makes a sound practical suggestion but I think it gets lost in teh mass of the coal tipple. From an aesthetic point of view I think the first position is better.
  6. bsmart

I'm going to disagree a little In the spring mowing grass is fine by July it is getting old. By October I'm waiting for the snow. Usually we have one or two moderate snow storms by Jan 1. That is okay (This year it all held off til this weekend) By February Snow is getting old. By Mid march...
  7. bsmart

Chet - glad you found him. Are snowmobilers advised to carry some kind of beacon with them when out there? It would seem to make it easier to find them in an emergency.
  8. bsmart

It ain't coming. ITS HERE!! At 10:30 AM it is 17 degrees and Sunny. I've been out shovelling for the last hour. I still have a heap 5' high and 10'wide between me and the road (mainly from the Town plow) I will say the Town has done a fantastic job of cleaning the street (they always do)...
  9. bsmart

Well they are now calling for 40+ inches here in Frederick County, MD. The Baltimore NBC station (WBAL) says the storm has stalled off Ocean City and is dumping snow over Central MD (The northwest side of the storm) I think we had 30+ inches a couple hours ago so we are probably already at 36".
  10. bsmart

Sorry folks I've been busy the last couple weeks and haven't been able to check in regularly But Mother Nature has us pretty much blocked in this weekend. Here in the Middletown Valley we have about 24" of snow already and it isn't supposed to stop for another 12 hours or so. Had the...
  11. bsmart

The Union Pacific Soggy Bottoms Subdivision (HO scale)

Thanks for the answers. I'm planning on doing the benchwork in 32"x 48" sections (1/3 sheet of plywood) with 1"x4" framing. I will probably use 48"x48" corner modules to allow my main line to loop back. First module will be primarily an industrial switching module. I'm going to try and take...
  12. bsmart

Any idea how well the insulation board will hold paint/primer? Youy said you originally planned on nailing the track thru the roadbed into the Homasote. Did you end up using that idea or did you end up gluing the track to the roadbed? Also how far apart are the legs on your benchwork?
  13. bsmart

Flyboy - I am getting ready to start a 'modular' layout using benchwork similar to what you are using. I have a couple questions. You have 2" of foam on your plywood. How did you mount the foam on the plywood? I assume it is glued in place. What glue do you recommend? Several people at my...
  14. bsmart

Good Morning 10 degrees with bright sun here in the Middletown Valley. Wjl126 - The Newark plant is interesting. Started as a Tank Arsenal building M48 then M60 tanks later converted to cars. I'm not sure what is going on there now I know it has a parts distribution center. I think what...
  15. bsmart

Good Morning. It is a frigid 9 degrees here in the Middletown Valley. Glad I don't have to roll out the door first thing in the morning any more.

Back