ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

sawmill
GaryMc

sawmill

keystone bandsaw mill
Hi Gary,
Those are all excellent photos you've posted here as well as your other shots.

This Saw Mill, I guess is reminiscent of many that were built for various logging operations in past times, but it definitely reminded me of the one at Johnsondale, Calif. that as a young boyscout I and others hiked down to see from Camp Whitsett, a four mile hike as I recall, in the Southern Sierra National Forest. We were given a tour of the Mill and actually watched as they were cutting lumber and how the logs were brought up from the Mil Pond by the heavy spiked, 'Jack-Chain' or 'Bull-Chain'
into the Mill an Saw Carriage. The Sawman who was in an enclosed area would have to use a lot of skill at times to rotate the logs as might be required. It happened while I was there due to some difficulty, I think he saw a metal spike or something in the tree?

Unfortunately I don't believe the Johnsondale Mill was ever served by any railroad.

Now at Sugar Pine in the Central-Western Sierras, just a little ways North of where I'm at, there was a Mill that was also similar if I'm not mistaken but I never really got to see it. It was served by the Sugar Pine Railroad that ran in the Southern edge of Yosemite National Park and there was actually a little settlement of Tipperary and the Tipperary switch along with some very precarious trackage!

Real nice Gary!

Media information

Category
Editor's Choice Structures
Added by
GaryMc
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

arg-text="https://modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php?media/sawmill.3431/full" arg-successText="Link copied to clipboard." />

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.