model-train-help

This is a self-published "e-book" (read, giant PDF file) by Robert Anderson. It's mostly a collection of articles and tips gatherd from places just like this. The vast majority is available free. I don't know Mr. Anderson and I have never seen his work but would challenge him to post some his fabulous creations so we can all get a taste of his great talent. Until then, my $40 stays in my pocket.

I nearly didn't get the ebook until I realized the comments were from people who hadn't read the book. I decided to get it and I am very pleased I ignored the comments. It is like my bible. I have got lots from it and would recommend it to anyone.

Also, although I have only been in the hobby 8 yrs I don't pretend to know everything and try and keep an open mind and judge things for myself. A lot of people in this forum will be new to the hobby and a book of this type would be a big help to them. When I first got started I found the hobby hard to understand and was scared of being criticized by those who have been doing this for decades and know so much. I now know not to be intimidated and to be careful of ill informed gossip.

Last edited by a moderator:
With all due respect, it could be considered "gossip" but it is also from long time, trusted established members of the forum. I'll go with their reccomendation over someone who just joined a few hours ago.

Mark

Mr. Railfanusa, everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, that's in this "book" of "closely guarded" secrets can be found on this and several other model railroad forums. How you spend your money is up to you. We don't engage in ill-informed gossip here but we do warn newcomers that there are far better ways to spend your money than on this huckster's "e-book".

Bad way to start out as a new member.

I have no comment on the book...haven't seen it, and don't know the author. I would agree, though, that a few hours of perusing fora here and there will net a great cache of how-to articles, many with imagery, that are sure to get the intrepid modeler off his duff and running. :) Just that utility alone costs most of us a monthly fee of between $30-$50. Why not put it to good use?

-Crandell

I have no comment on the book...haven't seen it, and don't know the author. I would agree, though, that a few hours of perusing fora here and there will net a great cache of how-to articles, many with imagery, that are sure to get the intrepid modeler off his duff and running. :) Just that utility alone costs most of us a monthly fee of between $30-$50. Why not put it to good use?

-Crandell

Couldn't have said it better. A good start is in my signature check it out. Never will be a fee much like this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have gained lots of helpful info from all over the place and it is good there so many great resources out there including this forum, model railroader magazine etc. I was just upset that people who hadn't read the book were making judgements. I HAVE read the book and was impressed and it has been a big help to me.

I guess we all learn in different ways and we are fortunate to have so much to choose from.

Very good way to put it, Crandell. Just in case anyone still has a question about the scam nature of this offering, check out http://www.model-train-help.com/affiliates.html and see how much this "book" is really worth.

Jim, three things: first, that link....YIKES!

Secondly, I finally got around to painting them dadburned insulators. :p

Thirdly, add Jerry, Frank, and David to your "flight" list. :rolleyes: Let me know by pm if you want the juicy bits.
;)

-Crandell

Crandell,
Indeed, that "affiliate" program has all the hallmarks of a model railroad Amway program. :)

About time you painted those insulators. :D Did you try green glitter nail polish? Looks just like green glass insulators on my telegraph poles.

Check your PM.

RFUSA, I think if you believe it was worth the money, then that's all that really matters. It doesn't matter what we think, you're the final arbiter as to whether you think you got value or not.

You did ask for opinions, and you got them. You take them for what they're worth, it's all part of doing your research on something. You make your decisions accordingly, we can't make them for you.

Kennedy

Crandell,
Indeed, that "affiliate" program has all the hallmarks of a model railroad Amway program. :)

I have nothing against anyone seeking to make a living, or even a hobbyist looking to make some extra money to support his hobby. There is room for everybody, but I have a problem with people who want to drag everybody they meet into the for-profit aspect of the hobby. You watch your friends turn into annoying clones of late-night infomercial hosts and they wonder why you won't have anything to do with them anymore.... LOL.

I've never had any desire to become a manufacturer, and certainly not an importer. If I ever did become a manufacturer, it would be along the lines of what Brian Banna has done - I'd develop some parts that could be manufactured in small quantities and sold to get back costs, like etchings, or master parts that could be resin or metal cast and potentially incorporated into someone else's product line, as was done with Brian's buffer plates and sideframe adaptors.

I have also considered doing what Warren Calloway has done, on a smaller scale. Warren as some of you might know has decades of slides of locomotives in his collection, and has recently begun offering them on CDs and selling them at a modest price. While my collection is nowhere near as extensive, I could probably whip up at least two or three CD volumes of interesting stuff. One of N&W in the 1970s, and one or two of NS in the mid 1990s. I have no idea if anybody would pay for that stuff or not, but I wouldn't ask much.

But in any case, I'd be offering my own product and not trying to get other people to either contribute to the product's value/content, or to go sell it for me. Word of mouth is always the best recommendation, but only if it's genuine and not on commission... LOL.

Andy

You wrote:

> I have also considered doing what Warren Calloway has done, on a
> smaller scale. Warren as some of you might know has decades of slides
> of locomotives in his collection, and has recently begun offering them
> on CDs and selling them at a modest price.

Obi-Wan! You name-dropped Obi-Wan!

:D

Kennedy

Andy,
It's interesting you should bring up the idea of outting your slides on CD. I have hundred of slides of the UP, SP, and Santa Fe from the late 60's through the mid-70's. I haven't really looked at them for years because it such a hassle finding the right slide and then finding my viewer. I'm sure there's a wealth of prototype information locked away in those and they are slowly deteeriorating over the years. I wouldn't be interested in selling them but I also have no clue about how to convert them to a CD. What would you plan be to do that?

Back