Running Bear's October 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing is that there is no such thing as an "Out of State Bank". any longer...Hell, My bank is based in Toronto, P.Q., eh? My CU is in Pennsylvania, and my Insurance Agent is in Virginia. Most Inter bank transfers are free, and can be accomplished overnight. Some banks operate Internet only, I'm not sure I like that idea, yet is rare when I go to my local branch, I do everything on line.
Technically this is not true. You have federally chartered banks and credit unions but you can also have state chartered ones. A while back Utah tried to pass onerous laws on credit unions (at the behest of banks). But the laws only affected state chartered credit unions, so most of the state chartered ones just re-chartered as federally chartered ones.

If I look at https://www.utah.gov/dfi/FinancialInstitutions.html I see a list of all financial institutions in Utah and it says whether they are federally (National), state, or "out of state" banks.

T-Mobile doesn't force you to use auto pay in general. They sometimes offer "advantages" to you if you do have auto pay. I used to get an auto pay discount with my T-Mobile phone service and paid using credit card. Worked for years. This year they said if I didn't convert my auto pay to ACH or a debit card I'd lose my auto pay discount. Instead, T-Mobile lost me and 6 lines of service.

There are other "cell" based (5G) internet services with a home base station besides T-Mobile. I think I've seen Verizon offering it. Maybe your trailer park doesn't have or allow a direct cable connection but I assume you have landline phone service available? You should be able to get a DSL connection over the landline.

I did remember you had a credit union. Just not a competent one.
I have a Tmobile and i've been sending checks ever since i got it, no problems on this part.

T-Mobile doesn't force you to use auto pay in general. They sometimes offer "advantages" to you if you do have auto pay. I used to get an auto pay discount with my T-Mobile phone service and paid using credit card. Worked for years. This year they said if I didn't convert my auto pay to ACH or a debit card I'd lose my auto pay discount. Instead, T-Mobile lost me and 6 lines of service.

There are other "cell" based (5G) internet services with a home base station besides T-Mobile. I think I've seen Verizon offering it. Maybe your trailer park doesn't have or allow a direct cable connection but I assume you have landline phone service available? You should be able to get a DSL connection over the landline.

I did remember you had a credit union. Just not a competent one.
No phone lines allowed. Verizon will do a prepaid wireless internet, up to 5GB a month for $50 per month, with paperless billing and autopay. Since my last data check showed nearly a terrabyte of data used, that won't work very well. Cable not allowed, or I'd have remained with Spectrum, even though they also insist on paperless autopay.

No phone lines allowed. Verizon will do a prepaid wireless internet, up to 5GB a month for $50 per month, with paperless billing and autopay. Since my last data check showed nearly a terrabyte of data used, that won't work very well. Cable not allowed, or I'd have remained with Spectrum, even though they also insist on paperless autopay.
There was one landline-based internet service that was supposedly available, but they wanted a $150 non-refundable connection fee plus a 12 month contract, plus, they also insisted on paperless/autopay, for $79 a month. And if they couldn't install service, I was out $150. I think everybody here knows why I didn't choose that option.

I'm no financial expert by any means. I'm good at turning a profit but that's pretty much the extent of my financial proficiency.

I keep track of where my money goes with Quicken. I have never had a fee or any issue with using autopay. I use it for everything, I love it! I can't remember the last time I wrote a check for anything. I use M&T Bank for my personal banking and Capital One for business banking. I've never had a fee from either one for anything.

I'm saving $30/month with T-Mobile by using autopay, $20 for my internet and $10 for my phone lines. I'm no expert, but that is $360/year. That covers one month plus 84% of another. I have five phone lines with T-Mobile in addition to 5G home internet. I've spoken to Verizon and Comcast and they both told me they can't beat what I'm paying.

Afternoon All,

Late start to the day because I slept in until 7:30 am which is late for me. MOH and I painted the stairs trim and I think it looks very good even if I say so myself! After that I ran to Aldi, library and car wash. Tomorrow MOH has to go be a driver for a family friend (lives alone) when he has his kidney stones removed. I'm still doing the tiling as scheduled Friday and Saturday. MOH would have just been supervising anyway.;)

Bill- Nice photo.

Hughie- The pictures have an almost mystical feel to them.

Terry- Thanks for sharing the video.

Troy- Best wishes for your readings.

TomO- Looks like you have some work to do!

Willie- That was a lot of rail cars in the one photo.

Sherrel- I was just talking about that with MOH. What really bothers me about no cash money is what happens if there is an unintended error wiping you out, or even more scary the government scr****g you over because you don't agree with them? I love this country, but I don't trust our elected officials and haven't for quite a while and that's both parties.

I hope everyone has a good night.

The more I read and see I am convinced 'Big Brother' is controlling us. Having only certain ways to pay for things. Knowing exactly where we are by our spending habits. Knowing what we read; thus controlling what is printed. Controlling the media, so we can only watch on television what 'they' want us to watch.

I could continue, but then become political, but you get my gist.

Good evening all.. Today was to have been rather quiet. Run a few trains.

Received a telephone call from daughter saying granddaughter's MRI scan was fine. She has to take a few tablets for a few months and the very minor scare will clear up.
Then another telephone call could they call in on their way up from Leeds? How could we ever say no!!! A wonderful three hours seeing them.

Later our son visited. A couple of hours passed as we chatted.

No trains were run. Maybe tomorrow.

The more I read and see I am convinced 'Big Brother' is controlling us. Having only certain ways to pay for things. Knowing exactly where we are by our spending habits. Knowing what we read; thus controlling what is printed. Controlling the media, so we can only watch on television what 'they' want us to watch.

I could continue, but then become political, but you get my gist.
I guess it’s the world we live in now! Sad!

OK, I didn't think I would change my avatar. But I just couldn't help myself. My little buddy approved of the picture created using AI so I made the change.
1698356829138.png

Amen. The only thing I had on autopay (through a credit card) was my T-Mobile service and after they announced I had to move to an ACH or debit based autopay I dropped them. No flippin way I would agree to any bank account based autopay. (I do have direct deposit of paychecks but that is putting money in).

Use a credit union. Most banks offer worse service with higher fees than credit unions. Of course there are exceptions and IIRC Terry has a credit union that is raping him But that is the exception.
I don't let anyone have free reign on my bank account.

Well, now we know why it may not be a good idea to move to Florida. I hope this stuff doesn't spread to other areas. Hindsight is always 20/20, I should have insisted my son move to North Carolina. Though he had just bought a house, so that would have been a non-starter. We can't change the past, and at this point all I can do is watch for less onerous deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back