Running Bear's November 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon!

We had some nice weather over the past week, with a little rain. That moisture froze on the sidewalks, causing a shear ice problem locally.
Anyway, I was trying to walk the dog when my feet slipped forward and my head went backward and down. Next thing, I was looking up at the pillowy clouds with a cold blue background. My head had smashed against the ice covered walk and split open. The warm sensation was blood exiting through the open wound.
This happened a couple of days ago. That day I suffered from headache, and the next day I endured muscle pains all down my neck and back.
Today, I'm fine. I'm going to walk the dog again in a few minutes. This time I'll stay in the forest and off the sidewalk.

We have a real doctor problem here in Alberta, in that we don't have many. The only appointment I can achieve is to go in next week. Of course, that would be different if I was hurt bad enough for an ambulance. Then they would see me immediately.
As it is, the locals are referring to that day as 'Bloody Friday'. I know I'm not the only one that went down on that day.

I'll drop down a photo that I took last June. The ground wasn't covered with a sheet of glare ice back then:
View attachment 156803

Well, the dog wants to go. Better do it before the sun sets.

Have a good evening!
That hurts. I fell a week ago tonight between 6:20 and 6:30 in the evening. I did end up in the ambulance. The knee was operated on Wednesday. GUY, take it from a fellow non icewalker, you are very lucky. Besides the knee, I am bruised and sore all over. No fun! Be well

great picture

Good morning fellow modelers. 22f degrees in So. Central Wisconsin and my Christmas house and driveway lights are on. At 4 yesterday afternoon they came on and at 11 they clicked off. Timers and I when it comes to Christmas displays never seem to be on the same page. I will hobble out to the power room and check the timers later after rehab. Terry started laughing this morning when I opened the blinds and there appeared my lights. She knows all about the timer issues I have had over the years.

The lady who years ago prodded me through my stroke rehab and other medical issues recoveries since will be here at 7:15. This time it’s the knee. I was not looking forward to the weekly knee rehab at the Clinic. Nurse Cratchett will be here every other day till New Years. A marvelously skilled lady with what I think is a drill Sargents demeanor. This is the 3rd or 4th recovery she will push me through.

Trains, sat on a bar stool in front of the paper mill and operated with Terry in the afternoon for about 30 minutes. Normally she is the engineer but yesterday it was me and she was the ground pounder. She is not a fan of bamboo skewers as the uncoupling tool but was good about it. She does need the portable step though to reach the loading track about 16” from the edge of the layout. I did pop in and out all afternoon and evening to just run trains. 10-15 minutes at a time.

I did do some house planning. The next place will be smaller but still more then 2 seniors need. It will not be earth covered this time (too claustrophobic at times for me). We know exactly where it’s going and the sun orientation it will have. More southeast facing then the due south the last places have had. The daughter thinks we are nuts, says get an apartment/condo. The only thing I have done is to order the wind tower, solar panels and powerwalls. They have a year’s lead time. We will not start anything else till this place sells, which means, travel time! However, we have had no recent bites.

Wisconsin football fans are kind of in shock the favorite native son isn’t getting the Head Coaching job. The guy they are hiring is leaving a job that only paid him $3.5 million a year in Cincinnati.

enjoy the day

Last edited:
Good morning Santa Fe et all, my apologies for being absent and I missed you all for sure. I was just really busy the last month with work and on weekends the last month. Working and running busy on the weekends and the time flies by. Like some of you, I caught the sinus infection as well and still have it. Just popped in on the odd occasion. Getting colder here now slowly so pulled my train station out to work on some more and will move down to the layout again soon. Have to fix the greenhouse and hot tub today, more wind storm damaged (never stops anymore), put out Xmas lights and clean my fish tank, hopefully catch some football….
Glad you are ok! and things are just busy!

Good morning Santa Fe et all, my apologies for being absent and I missed you all for sure. I was just really busy the last month with work and on weekends the last month. Working and running busy on the weekends and the time flies by. Like some of you, I caught the sinus infection as well and still have it. Just popped in on the odd occasion. Getting colder here now slowly so pulled my train station out to work on some more and will move down to the layout again soon. Have to fix the greenhouse and hot tub today, more wind storm damaged (never stops anymore), put out Xmas lights and clean my fish tank, hopefully catch some football….
We were wondering where you were, I thought you'd got embroiled in finding furnishings for the station, glad your OK tho'.

Instead of posting a dozen pictures or so of the museum show that most people may not really care about, I started a thread in General Discussion and posted the pictures there.

Good Morning All. Clear and a chilly 36° this morning. We're expecting 67° this afternoon after just 62° yesterday. Then 76° tomorrow before a bitter wind shift leaves us with a high on Wednesday of only 48°. It could be worse but this place is not Wisconsin or Alberta. Ten day outlook calls for 60's again on Friday and all weekend.

I'm still suffering the after effects of this damn sinus infection and just didn't have a lot of energy yesterday. I feel about the same today, but time will tell if I will still have the low energy. I do know that I have to start with emptying the dishwasher unless my wife decides that I am still contagious.

Thanks for the reactions and comments regarding my progress that all of you posted yesterday.

I didn't spend a lot of time out in the train shed yesterday, as is usual on Sundays. Church and after-Mass socializing occupied more time than usual yesterday morning into the afternoon. The homily was so long that I expected Father Ben to have a catered lunch, not! It's always that way on the First Sunday of Advent as the Christmas season officially starts.
When I did get out there, I painted the rest of the shed and attached the roof.
IMG_2552.JPG

Fits just where I planned. The back story is that the owner of the General Store keeps lawn equipment and seasonal shelving and like stuff back there, no merchandise. I just didn't take time to install trees yet, but they're coming

Curt -
The new gas station (lighted). Unfortunately it sits with the back view facing the walk aisle.
I have a few structures like that. Some were re-purposed from the last layout, some were built prior to having a home on this one. But, that's the reason that I complete and detail all sides of all structures. I have also been known to move them.
Mikey - I have seen that mill houses scene before from a different angle, and it still impresses me greatly.

I don't drink coffee and I don't listen to Christmas music until 12-20, so there wasn't much to comment on from yesterday. It was interesting though to note all of the Slade fans among us. They never really made it in the US, despite trying.

Everybody have a wonderful day. Be safe on the ice!

It was interesting though to note all of the Slade fans among us. They never really made it in the US, despite trying.

But a cover of one of their songs made it really big. Just not by them.

Quiet Riot covered or "made their own version" -- Cum On Feel The Noize -- 10 years after Slade released it.

"My Oh My," the intertwined history of songs, makes me want to, in the immortal words of King Arthur, "Run, Runaway"

Last edited:
Good morning all, 26 F in east central Minnesota. Very windy, makes it feel much colder.

Guy - ouch, hurts just reading about it.

Curt - really like the Luck's station. Is my wife's maiden name, she is interested in me building one

Mikey - very nice layout scenes!!!

Pic of this morning pre sunrise:

IMG_2906 (2).JPG

colors departed quickly,

Was visiting all day yesterday, today have a vacation day will be splitting wood, playing with the train, maybe some scenery work have lots of cows to plant.

Dave LASM

Morning... barely...

heading out in a few minutes to get the ears lowered (aka a haircut)

Slept in this morning. Got up at 8 am instead of my usual 5.

Been working on a character map for the latest WhoDunnit... this is what a novel in potentia looks like:

thoughtbubbles.jpg

Gotta run.

Condolences to Christian and your family. You gave her a good home and a great family. No pet could wish for more.

been quite some time since been here. no www access for about 3 wks.
5 days ago got smacked down when my sis was shown to have a brain tumor. (she 67 yrs) Docs say they got out what they could this past Friday.
Last I heard that should extend her time here for about 18 months. Her 3 boys lost 3 grandparents in the last yr, & now this. & she is the executrix of our moms will. that might have to get moved to next sis in line.
sorry about that bad news Moermusic and keep in touch here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back