Under Construction - Birmingham UK

Thanks guys

Theres a lot of traffic lights at the Hill st/Navigation St Junction. Having found some reference pics of lights from the right era I have drawn up an etch for the heads.

traffic%20lights.jpg

The pic on the right shows the bear carcass. I thought about how to show the lights and came to the conclusion that if they changed and the traffic didnt move that would look odd. By making the turn from Navigation street to up Hill street green but by also blocking the route with a bus at the bus stop I can literally jam up the traffic. Thus giving a reason for the traffic to all be stationary.

Cheers

Jim

Hi All

More scenic -

temp%20bus%20stop2.jpg

mock up of the temporary bus stop - litter bin from S kits.

street%20furniture%20mock%20up.jpg

Another mock up - this time of the furniture I have been working on. Funny how clutter gives the scene a bit of life.

red%20light.jpg

A fleetline is held at the lights. For those who know the area and the buses the driver is obviously lost!

Cheers

Jim

Hi All

Just to keep the thread vaguely on the topic of railways, a few shots of trains!

86252%20on%20platform%203.jpg

86252 arrives from the Wolverhapton direction.

56066%20at%20BNS.jpg

There was some booked freight though New Street - Steel was the more common freight you might find. This is 56066 a detailed and repowered Mainline model

47433%20on%20platform%206.jpg

47433 is a detailed and repowered Lima model.

310%20approaching%206.jpg

this is the first of my (eventual 4) class 310's and 312's. Its built from the Southern Pride Kit

120%20aproaching%20platform%209.jpg

By the era of the layout Derby had just the 1 class 120 left in service. The model is a craftsman conversion of the lima 117

Regards

Jim

Hi,

Firstly, absolutely *awesome* modelling - Thanks also from me for sharing. [One of my kids lives in Birmingham - He still uses New Street quite a bit.]

...For those who know the area and the buses the driver is obviously lost!

:D

His bigger potential problem is he has different licence plates front and rear! :eek: :D

Cheers,
Ian

The fist Picture is a Volvo Ailsa, The second is a Fleetline.

I actually realized they weren't one and the same just after I posted :eek:

I thought about deleting the post, but that always feels like "cheating" to me - If you're (in this case, me!) silly enough to post, you should have to live with it :)

I *knew* your attention to detail wouldn't let that happen ;)

Please keep 'em coming! With all due respect to the "standard" roads typically modeled here, they can get a bit "similar" sometimes - Modeling British Rail (or whatever it's called these days?!) is a real nice change - Thanks again,

Cheers,
Ian

Hi again,

So, I thought about asking how you're making the road sign images (one way, no stopping etc) but then figured you'd probably already been asked and answered so dived into the thread from the beginning - Holey-moley! There's a very good, and in many ways complete modeling tutorial buried here! It took me a couple of hours to reach page 10!..... I reckon another 8-10 hours of reading and I'll be caught up :eek:

Time well spent though!

And that's without spending time on your site!.....

Thanks again,
Cheers,
Ian

That is some outstanding modelling Jim and I love your attention to detail, it really is the little things that bring a scene/layout to life! Your scratch building of the street furniture is great..

I wouldn't be critical of anyone's work regardless of their skill level and I don't know if it's just the angle of the shot or not, but the traffic light in post 484 looks just looks to me to be a little too tall.. Is it correctly to scale? Like I say, not a criticism, just an observation, it may just be the way it's been photographed..

Looking forward to the next installment!

I take it that it is to scale then?

In the picture 'street furniture mock up.jpg' it looks fine, but in the picture with the bus 'red light.jpg' it looks a little too tall for some reason?!? Like i said, it may just be the angle of the shot...

...When I am happy I draw them up in illustrator and print them on our minilab.

What do you print them onto? I have a long and sorry tale of woe trying to use Testors decal paper printed on an inkjet - They won't release from the backing paper..... They look good on photo paper, but that's way too thick.

Loving the catenary btw - But I'm surprised you're not doing your own etching - I guess you know about this kit:

http://www.micromark.com/Micro-Mark-Pro-Etch-Photo-Etch-System-Export-Version,8347.html

Cheers,
Ian

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Ian

I think I am happier paying someone else to do the messy bits for me!

I print signs on photographic paper (we have a full wet lab at work) which is thick enough to represent metal signs on its own

Regards

Jim

I think I am happier paying someone else to do the messy bits for me!

Said the man with his own wet-lab!..... :D

But yeah, is does appear to involve some pretty "nasty" chemicals.

I print signs on photographic paper (we have a full wet lab at work) which is thick enough to represent metal signs on its own.

Thanks for that - I guess if I "knew" that was how I was going to use 'em I'd have laid 'em out a little differently. Magic marker (you call 'em fine-liners I believe) on any exposed backs/sides?

Cheers,
Ian

Hi All

A while back I took a few shots under the bridge which came out quite well. However the lack of point motors bugged me so I have redone them. Also with the extra bridge supports that I have only just done and a bit of clutter on the platform

view%20under%20bridge%204.jpg

view%20through%20bridge%203.jpg

50%20shunting.jpg

Cheers

Jim

Back