Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am an easy person to buy gifts for. Always something for the layout or the train room is happily accepted.

But, I have an impossible person to buy for my brother. But today in a FB ad that I would generally block, it
D251562F-BD5E-4C4C-AD11-A5C9B16F1C7E.png
caught my eye and then imagination. I ordered 3. One for the son,1 for the brother and 1 for the bathroom in the Crew Lounge/cave entrance to the layout room.

Heck, I got a good laugh as did Terry

TomO

TomO

Good evening. Right now it's cloudy, with temperatures holding in the upper 30s, and light rain in the forecast overnight into tomorrow morning.

Our trip to Northern New York is still on, we are preparing for an early departure on Thursday morning. Tomorrow, I will go over the car and tires in preparation for the trip. Then pack and load up, so Thursday morning, we can just grab the kitty, and put her in her carrier, and head out. The goal is to get there during daylight hours. We expect to return home, on Monday, weather permitting.

I also still have to wrap my gift to the wife. I'm not a great gift wrapper either, so...it is what it is. Since the Capitals - Flyers game was postponed, I really don't have a lot to do today. I did visit the Cardiologist, who straightened out which prescriptions I was supposed to e taking, and wrote new orders. I'm good for an additional 6 months before my next appointment.
CC
Since I don't anticipate posting between now and early next week, extend my Best Wishes for the Christmas, (and other Holiday), Season.

WM Coal Train for the Popes Creek.jpg

Western Maryland power on a coal train from Fulton Jct, to the Popes Creek Branch in the Penn Central era. WM also ran trains from Fulton to Beth Steel, Sparrows Point over the Penn Central (Now NEC).
Amtrak Pittsburgh PA Station December 2021.jpg

Amtrak's "Pennsylvanian" equipment layover in Pittsburgh (Penn Station) in December 2021. TThe Pennsylvanian is the only passenger train remaining on the former PRR Main Track between Harrisburg, and Pittsburgh.

Per TERRY"S Pintoplane! BTW, I had a Pinto but I forget the year??
Always wondered why something like that never really took hold - must have been the cost, or the fact that smaller a/c were relative cheap in those days. In 1970 I bought a 1964 - 235HP - Piper Cherokee that I used to commute from Silverton to Albuquerque, but northbound had to stop in Durango during the winter. I couldn't get the town to plow the strip + the snow could get really deep at times and I did not want to get stuck there for the duration of winter! My whole point in telling this story is that I bought that plane for $9,500, flew it for 4 years, and sold it (big mistake) for $12,500.
I think that the same year/model today is worth $60 to $70,000!

In other news - The SON may be let go from the hospital tomorrow - if he has his way!
I called and talked to him yesterday and I managed to keep my mouth shut. He did not have a good night , Sunday, as he was on Oxygen level 6 dropped to 4, but during the night they had to raise it up to 5.
Today he was maintaining a 94% level and he is thinking he is going to get out, although the EX said she talked to the doctor and his lungs are damaged pretty good - so we will see about tomorrow.
Like I sad -- I will not bring it up of how stupid I think he has been. For the record he is 56!

Good evening Shop Dwellers!

It's been a long day, getting late and I have to work on-site tomorrow [instead of just 'remoting' in] - so I'll need to make this post brief in order to get to bed early enough for a decent night's sleep. Just wanted to thank everybody for all the button-clicks and/or comments on the business sign photos I posted on Monday: Sherrell, Steve-J, Tom-O, Hughie, Jaz, Lee, Karl, Guy, Willie, Gary, OB Ken, Patrick, Troy, Rick, Smudgie[?], Christian, George, Mikey, James, Joe, Curt

Didn't have any time in the trainroom today since I had an afternoon dentist appointment, then was in charge of preparing the evening meal. Spent ~30 minutes on the phone with a local mrr friend that I haven't seen in a while. Aside from that I don't have anything else worthwhile to talk about. These last days up to Christmas are gonna be crazy so I'm not expecting to get much "quality" time with the trains, but once things settle down I should doing more projects worth photographing.

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

I am an easy person to buy gifts for. Always something for the layout or the train room is happily accepted.

But, I have an impossible person to buy for my brother. But today in a FB ad that I would generally block, it View attachment 137361caught my eye and then imagination. I ordered 3. One for the son,1 for the brother and 1 for the bathroom in the Crew Lounge/cave entrance to the layout room.

Heck, I got a good laugh as did Terry

TomO

TomO

My cat Wyatt Earp would have a field day with them oversized rolls! 😹😹😹

20211218_153535.jpg

Good evening. Right now it's cloudy, with temperatures holding in the upper 30s, and light rain in the forecast overnight into tomorrow morning.

Our trip to Northern New York is still on, we are preparing for an early departure on Thursday morning. Tomorrow, I will go over the car and tires in preparation for the trip. Then pack and load up, so Thursday morning, we can just grab the kitty, and put her in her carrier, and head out. The goal is to get there during daylight hours. We expect to return home, on Monday, weather permitting.

I also still have to wrap my gift to the wife. I'm not a great gift wrapper either, so...it is what it is. Since the Capitals - Flyers game was postponed, I really don't have a lot to do today. I did visit the Cardiologist, who straightened out which prescriptions I was supposed to e taking, and wrote new orders. I'm good for an additional 6 months before my next appointment.
CC
Since I don't anticipate posting between now and early next week, extend my Best Wishes for the Christmas, (and other Holiday), Season.

View attachment 137362
Western Maryland power on a coal train from Fulton Jct, to the Popes Creek Branch in the Penn Central era. WM also ran trains from Fulton to Beth Steel, Sparrows Point over the Penn Central (Now NEC).
View attachment 137363
Amtrak's "Pennsylvanian" equipment layover in Pittsburgh (Penn Station) in December 2021. TThe Pennsylvanian is the only passenger train remaining on the former PRR Main Track between Harrisburg, and Pittsburgh.
Safe travels and Happy Holidays to you and the family

TomO

Per TERRY"S Pintoplane! BTW, I had a Pinto but I forget the year??
Always wondered why something like that never really took hold - must have been the cost, or the fact that smaller a/c were relative cheap in those days. In 1970 I bought a 1964 - 235HP - Piper Cherokee that I used to commute from Silverton to Albuquerque, but northbound had to stop in Durango during the winter. I couldn't get the town to plow the strip + the snow could get really deep at times and I did not want to get stuck there for the duration of winter! My whole point in telling this story is that I bought that plane for $9,500, flew it for 4 years, and sold it (big mistake) for $12,500.
I think that the same year/model today is worth $60 to $70,000!

In other news - The SON may be let go from the hospital tomorrow - if he has his way!
I called and talked to him yesterday and I managed to keep my mouth shut. He did not have a good night , Sunday, as he was on Oxygen level 6 dropped to 4, but during the night they had to raise it up to 5.
Today he was maintaining a 94% level and he is thinking he is going to get out, although the EX said she talked to the doctor and his lungs are damaged pretty good - so we will see about tomorrow.
Like I sad -- I will not bring it up of how stupid I think he has been. For the record he is 56!
Sherrel sir, I am proud of you. I have been in your position and I agree with YOU. But as mentioned before sometimes you just have to suck it up and keep your opinion to yourself. Another hard lesson

TomO

Karl, my mother also counted ceramics among her hobbies. Camping and crocheting were the other two. I still have some bits and pieces she and my father made floating around the house.
I even have broken ornaments that my mum loved,she had two dressden ballerinas a wedding present from her sister and my brother was playing ball inside and whammies them the skirts were broken she had the bits at one time but when my dad came to live with us he had the ballerinas but the broken skirts were lost,but I still have them in a display cabinet, memories are what make us us,plus I can tease my brother :D

Well, howdy, there internet people who are either across the pond, or got up at 3 am for the pee run and couldn't fall asleep easily.

It's Troy again.

Trying to get back into the writing groove after the bath remodel. Less than 1K words yesterday (not a good day), but I'm starting to piece the plot together.

Daughter and her BF are talking about coming up on Christmas Eve. She's got dietary issues (no gluten, no dairy) so it's always fun to arrange a menu. We're looking at rainy cold drizzle that day, or I'd volunteer to cook on the kamado. May still volunteer to do some steaks. They only take an hour or less once the grill is lit.

In other news, we'd scheduled a cruise for end of Jan, out of NOLA. (I've mentioned that before). With Omicron here, we just got the notice that we'll have to mask up in public areas. That's honking the wife off. As if the policy was made to target her. I'm having a difficult time getting her to get her booster. I got mine as soon as I could. But, she's entrenched in talk-radio podcasts. The stuff I used to listen to.

Tonight, I'm heading off to the game store for some WWII fighter plane gaming. If I find an opponent, I'll get some pics.

I'm yawning, finally, so the cat and I will lean the recliner back and see if the post pee-run awake is ending.

Well, howdy there, internet people, including those of you not entrenched in a bathroom remodel.

It's Troy again.

From the incomplete bathroom again.

Almost there. So close I could have called the plumbing complete last night. Except for one thing.

Troy's memory.

The drain-line for the sink. Seems I cut off the Marvel adapter or whatever it's called and forgot to add it to my parts list.

I'm now at three runs to one store, and another run to a second store. One run included returns. Another run was for the new faucet. We'd planned to use the old faucet, but the new sink top has wide holes, not the 4" on center. So, after pizza hut last night (yes, we're in a town where the older sit-down restaurant versions of the Hut are still appreciated), I made the spousal unit select a new faucet.

Even then, I didn't know I needed the Marvel adapter. Oh, and a tailpipe extender.

Didn't realize this until I'm under the sink, starting to attach all the drain parts.

Oh, and I forgot to mark which CPVC pipe was the Hot v Cold. And I purchased both Blue and Red Pex to color-code them.

Fortunately, I'm using Sharkbite connectors at that end. I'm hooking one up, see if it's hot or cold. I can pop it off the sharkbite, trim the end of the PEX, and move it if necessary. Logic says the cold should be on the right, but...

Oh, and Lowes only had 10 ft of blue PEX in stock, and no attendant around to cut me a 5-foot section. So I have LOTS of extra PEX.

Anyone know of a good modelling use for left over PEX?
Spares and repairs pex and sone don’t work well together, so we buy spare moving bits and store in nearby cupboard in case of emergencies

Personally I don’t care what Scale you model in! I don’t care if you model railways from the East side of the Atlantic Ocean, east or west of the River Nile or the railroads of Japan or the Northern American continent.
what I am saying is and feel 95% of the modelers on here would agree with me. We are modelers, global modelers and all railroad type modeling is to be welcome here.

Post pictures of your RR models and associated stuff and all is good.

Tom
Totally agree,and half the fun is if we had the time the money the space we would probably try these so can live it through others efforts.

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 40° and the radar shows that it's raining here. However I have walked outside and it is not. NWS has added rain to this mornings forecast; it wasn't there yesterday on that forecast that I posted!?!?!? That radar actually shows snow across the Red River in Oklahoma. Doubt that anything is sticking though. The rain appears to be mostly east and southeast of here, with ice in Shreveport LA. Otherwise no change noted for the ten day forecast. Note to myself: Let the fire in the heater go out Thursday and remove ashes Friday when there are no embers. Always easier with no embers.
Helped wrap Christmas gifts yesterday and continued to tidy the place up. The living room which has been my wife's base for the surgery recovery is slowly recovering itself. All of the medical supplies have now been removed since dressing doesn't have to be changed daily. Still have the piles of pillows that she needs to keep herself elevated, but those will be gone by Thursday. For the third or fourth time, she has changed her mind regarding the Christmas tree, so it's back in the box. I have my Christmas Train Tree up and we have an 18" tall living tree up though.
We also went to Denton last night to eat at Red Lobster. It was the last day of 25% off for Dine Rewards members which I am one. The knee held out once again with just the cane. She still uses the walker around the house because I installed a basket to act as hands as she travels about. Slowly but surely life is returning to a more normal state.

Thanks as always for the likes and comments regarding the layout pictures yesterday; OB Ken, Christian, Sherrel, Louis, Smudge, Steve J, Hughie, Rick, Tom O, Jaz, Gary, Tom, Karl, Guy, Dave, Chad, Patrick.

I'll take the old standby today Flo, two eggs over easy and a handful of bacon with a tall OJ to wash it down with.

Another Sunday out in the train shed yesterday, always a short day there. I did finish attaching the remaining feeders and track down and started on the DPM modular wall structure.
This is the front sections and part of the left side.
View attachment 137250
I decided to just go with all window sections on the ground floor rather than wait on my next trip to the LHS next week for blank walls. The structure will be two sections deep and four across the back. The right side will be stepped rather than angled to eliminate the need to cut wall sections to get the length needed for the angled wall.

Terry - Thanks for letting some of the discussions go as far as you (and other moderators) allowed them to go. I think that everyone was very civil and there was a lot of informative comments. But you're right about some might have exceeded Bob's guidelines and he will be dropping in more during the holidays.
Speaking of moderators, what's up with Willis? Hadn't seen him in over two years. And Tony the wombat has been absent for three years except a single post about a week ago on a different thread. I hope that all is well with both of them.
Jaz - I'll have to give that other forum a look. I looked briefly yesterday and bookmarked it, but my present loyalties are here. I am actually a member of four or five other forums that I no longer post on, mainly because I just don't need to spend all day on the Internet. Easy to do with all of the fine videos, especially the cab-ride ones, as well as the other forums. And the news feeds, and the music videos, etc. Too much since I also have another life besides sitting in front of a screen.
Troy - I had a similar issue when my wife wanted the main bathroom remodeled after we had the master bath done. She picked out a vanity without regards to the plumbing coming out of the wall. I was able to deal with the water supply differences easily with the flex tubing, but the drain piping resembles something that M.C. Escher might have designed. I also had to remove the back of the vanity, since the prefabbed opening didn't line up.
Gary - That's a classic picture of your tree in front of that window overlooking the snowy landscape.
Christian - Another great blues musician, Gary Moore.

Rock & Roll history including blues, is my second passion. I have over 2500 contributions to Wikipedia articles. Most cover the time frame of 1955-1988. Indeed, I have over 65,000 mp3's as well (350GB's), 72 of them are Gary Moore.
Joe - Even though I only see them when passing through the living room, I now recognize many of those Hallmark Christmas movies. They're on year-round in my house it seems.
Greg - It appears that your bar is going to get a lot of use coming up if the Packers stay on track. As I recall, it's in the Packer Room?
Mike - The snow looks good.

Everybody have a great day and if applicable, don't work too hard. Stay warm and safe.
No worries you would see it is very very quiet, it is more a technical help space for their product,I was just trying to acquire sone nice US pictures for it, it gets US traffic but they rarely post, and the buildings and locos are so different it is nice to see for comparison, and there is no pressure from me, it was just a thought that occurred, if you chose to log in add some piccies then depart I would be more than happy and I know what you mean after the ankle knee incident I had this what if the crack on my head had killed me, and I have joined like 6 new places and am dumping photos as a legacy to the layout,I even went back to 2 I had previously stormed off of lol and have nice piccies to upload,although one of those 2 has basically died despite it once being very active apparently the mod we fell foul of did a lot of harm before he got kicked. The other half would not be seen dead back there though, he stands by his word they picked on someone we supported them they got funny with us we left,and so apparently did a lot of others.

I am catching up smiling,laughing enjoying the banter, I do so really love 💕 this coffee shop. I really do wish all of you a happy and merry Christmas to you and your loved ones, sharing what we do in life our ups our downs getting a bit of support, especially with Covid this is a little home from home where you can relax,and as mentioned above this is down to the moderators, I raise a metaphorical glass to one and all. merry Christmas friends.

Well, howdy, there internet people who are either across the pond, or got up at 3 am for the pee run and couldn't fall asleep easily.

It's Troy again.

Trying to get back into the writing groove after the bath remodel. Less than 1K words yesterday (not a good day), but I'm starting to piece the plot together.

Daughter and her BF are talking about coming up on Christmas Eve. She's got dietary issues (no gluten, no dairy) so it's always fun to arrange a menu. We're looking at rainy cold drizzle that day, or I'd volunteer to cook on the kamado. May still volunteer to do some steaks. They only take an hour or less once the grill is lit.

In other news, we'd scheduled a cruise for end of Jan, out of NOLA. (I've mentioned that before). With Omicron here, we just got the notice that we'll have to mask up in public areas. That's honking the wife off. As if the policy was made to target her. I'm having a difficult time getting her to get her booster. I got mine as soon as I could. But, she's entrenched in talk-radio podcasts. The stuff I used to listen to.

Tonight, I'm heading off to the game store for some WWII fighter plane gaming. If I find an opponent, I'll get some pics.

I'm yawning, finally, so the cat and I will lean the recliner back and see if the post pee-run awake is ending.
Yeah, heard a few of those podcast's, drivel, and no idea what their talking about. Omnicron (as far as we presently know), Is highly contagious, more so than Covid, it's literally like a wildfire with a strong wind, that's the bad news, good news is, it is not AS dangerous as Covid, don't misunderstand it can still kill you, but it's about 30-40% less likely to happen, depending on your health condition.
The point of "the jab" and the booster is to build the immune system so that if you if do unfortunately catch it, you are far less likely to be seriously ill and need hospital care. Masks don't really stop you catching the virus, there there to stop those infected from spreading it, considering around 40% of the population don't get any symptoms at all, but either have or had the virus, and unless you take one of the test's available you wont know if you have or not, so wearing a mask is a small price to pay to protect others.
My daughter lives in an area with a high infection rate, the only reason she's coming to stay for Christmas is because I've had all the jabs, and she has had a Lateral Flow Test if she hadn't, I would have Christmas on my own.

As for persuading your other half to get the jab, (and I'm saying this in jest) Try rummaging around where you keep all your paperwork, when she asks what your doing, answer her "I'm looking for your will, if your not getting the vaccine and I end up a widower, I want to make sure I get all the money honey.";):)

Good morning all! 29 degrees here heading for sunny and 37. Up early to head back into work this morning and feeling pretty wiped out. My Diabetes doctor called me yesterday to say she was concerned over some labs I had drawn last week. Turns out I'm anemic, so that might help explain why I'm so dead tired all the time. My work and work hours don't help that either. Gotta start taking iron and Vitamin C twice a day to hopefully turn that problem around.

Working 4 days straight, off Christmas and then work 4 more days straight. Then I get a 4 day weekend! A couple weeks later I have some vacation time I had to use or lose, so maybe some rest is on the horizon.

As I usually do when the weather allows, I had lunch in the park again yesterday. The park sits right beside the old B&O line which is little used these days. Lately I've been happy to see a little movement there as I often see two engines with a few cars heading east or west. I figure they're just hauling cars off somewhere to the east for storage or retrieving them, as I don't believe there is any regular freight heading back and forth on that line these days. I work in Indiana near the Illinois border (and live in Illinois). This old B&O line continues on west into Illinois. To my knowledge, CSX only has one customer on the Illinois side, a Continental Grain and Barge facility and at times you'll see a grain train come east to Indiana. The line has no traffic these days west of the CG&B facility.

Nothing else to report. Hope you all have a great day!

I actually have no idea about the fireboxes, I know Scotsman has a wooton type, wielded it more than once.
Actually, now I do, I so don't like it when people make me think, my head hurts.🙃
All British Steam loco's that had a trailing pony behind the drive wheels had Wooton fireboxes, which are named after
John E Wooton, Superintendent of Philadelphia and Reading Railroad 1866, and General Manager 1876.
His design made use of anthracite, a cheap and nearly smokeless type of coal.:)
I'm going back to bed now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back