Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my neighborhood, Smith & Wesson takes care of porch pirates. In my experience, as soon as Amazon takes the picture, you get either an E-Mail or a text message (your choice in preferences).
The problem is:
Too many folks are not home when the package arrives (Photo is Amazon's proof of delivery)
Too many porch pirates follow the amazon driver and get there if you don't open the door within a moment or two. It's their package now.

Unless you know this guy... Better than S&W or his buddy Ruger

To e fair it's not just Amazon, UPS and US Postal Service, when delivering packages just drop them at the door, take a picture and leave. In my opinion, letting folks know you dropped off a delivery would help cut down some of the porch piracy. Obviously, the crooks following the Amazon truck or the UPS truck are going to still be a problem.
I knock and ring the bell. I also try to keep the package from being visible from the street. I often double back before going to the next neighborhood.

We will always be a step behind the criminals.

I think Amazon is fantastic! I have been doing it for over 5 years now. I am an independent contractor, (one man show, well, my wife rides with me 😁) an Amazon Flex driver. I drive my own vehicle. I am my own boss. Once I pick up my block (route) Amazon will never bother me. Unless i screw up or take too long and that has never happened. I feel as though I ultimately work for the customers. I choose when and where I work. I only accept high paying offers. Works good for me because early mornings (3:30-4:00am) weekends and holidays are when the highest offers are available.

The thing with being an Amazon contractor (Amazon Flex) is there is no full time, they never have offered full time. When we sign up Amazon specifically says Flex is part time. They could end the entire program tomorrow. No one should count on Flex as their primary income. Flex drivers only get offers when the vans can't meet demand. With the exception of same day delivery, that is all done by Flex drivers, as of now.

Amazon has several different types of drivers, Amazon employees, Flex drivers and those who work for subcontractors and maybe more I know nothing about. I use to know the managers personally, but since they have expanded I don't know anyone. Amazon goes through people like water, managers, employees, Flex drivers, contractors, anyone and everyone. Be great or be gone. The pace and stress of working for Amazon makes many quit, many more get fired or in our case, Flex, deactivated.

Amazon employees, some are full time, but they also have many more part time and many seasonal drivers.

Subcontractors, almost anything goes. Those drivers look like Amazon employees, often drive Amazon vans or white vans or even rental vans. They work for subcontractors who control pay, and benefits, etc.

Amazon sets policies, procedures and standards for all drivers regardless of who they work for. We all use the same app to make our deliveries.

Like other workers some Amazon drivers are lazy, stupid and unprofessional. Many deactivate/fire themselves. Too many want a pay check, but don't want to work.

Amazon has high standards and I love that! I'm not exposed to the stress. I pick up my route and deliver my packages. I do 2-3 blocks a week, maybe. It's keeps me active and it's fun! Its especially fun at Christmas time. I love the lights and decorations. It's almost like being Santa and the people are nice. I also enjoy seeing and visiting with all the dogs.
Excellent and thank you for the response. The negative is so much emphasizEd in the Media that I wasn‘t sure what was what.

glad you are enjoying the experiences
TomO

My instructions are "please deliver to the side door, thank you" my security cameras show it is the Amazon van drivers who regularly ignore my instructions.

In their defense they often have over 200 stops to make.
Yep food deliveries from supermarkets are often given 4 minutes to deliver,an impossible task,one driver was picked on for being caught peeing by his van whilst delivering,but there stops are so timed they cannot afford to lose time how they cope with more than a pee I dread to think

266724610_6893074070704466_6321574204599666057_n.jpg

Well gee Willie, sounds like you must have done this several times in the past then.
Not me, but two incidents in the past, neither of which were related to porch pirates can prove my point. Many years ago, three hunters died of carbon monoxide in their RV about a quarter mile down the road. The wife of one of them came to my house when he didn't return the night before and she had seen one of them passed out through the windshield just after daybreak the next day. We called 911 and it took the sheriffs' department over an hour to show up. The coroner arrived over four hours later. More recently, a woman committed suicide on the same property, maybe 30 yards from the first incident. Her husband used cell phone tracking to locate her. Sheriff arrived about 45 minutes later, coroner I'm not sure, but the body wasn't removed for six more hours. By contrast, on the numerous grass fire incidents that I reported over the years, it never took the local VFD's (two different ones), more than ten minutes to get here. Four of the six grass fires were on the same property (two were proved to be arson), and we neighbors believe that the property is cursed!

that the property is cursed!
Willie: Sure appears to be cursed.

The neighborhood I live in isn't the easiest or friendliest in the world. However, there is no crime of consequence, nor any issues with porch pirates.
The delivery drivers, USPS, UPS, FEDEX, Amazon etc. are all hard working, efficient and pleasant when one encounters them.

Some of my neighbors are paranoid, employing numerous security cameras and exterior lighting. Others, never display exterior lights and don't seem to be bothered by people walking through on the sidewalk....(It's what sidewalks are for, eh)?

CNBC this afternoon, released a news item about Pfizer's very successful test for an anti-viral pill. The writer of the article, seemed upset, that the second series of trials showed a high degree, (90%), of success, and was further dismayed that no one involved died of Covid during or after the trial...Perhaps, I read it wrong, but I get the impressions that some i the media don't want this story to go away. Just me musing. :rolleyes:

Michaels, wanted almost $8 /sheet of ordinary foam board, today. Naturally, I didn't buy any. I will try Hobby Lobby tomorrow.

Louis mentioned that next Sunday, is the 4th Sunday of Advent....Time is flying by...We have our Wedding Anniversary, coming up Friday, (44 years), then next Tuesday, I go to the Cardiologist. Thursday, we drive to New York State, for Christmas with my son's family.

PRR 2304 (GP35) Tyrone PA 10-0901970.jpg

GP 35s pullingfreight through Tyrone, PA during the PC era.

Willie: Sure appears to be cursed.

The neighborhood I live in isn't the easiest or friendliest in the world. However, there is no crime of consequence, nor any issues with porch pirates.
The delivery drivers, USPS, UPS, FEDEX, Amazon etc. are all hard working, efficient and pleasant when one encounters them.

Some of my neighbors are paranoid, employing numerous security cameras and exterior lighting. Others, never display exterior lights and don't seem to be bothered by people walking through on the sidewalk....(It's what sidewalks are for, eh)?

CNBC this afternoon, released a news item about Pfizer's very successful test for an anti-viral pill. The writer of the article, seemed upset, that the second series of trials showed a high degree, (90%), of success, and was further dismayed that no one involved died of Covid during or after the trial...Perhaps, I read it wrong, but I get the impressions that some i the media don't want this story to go away. Just me musing. :rolleyes:

Michaels, wanted almost $8 /sheet of ordinary foam board, today. Naturally, I didn't buy any. I will try Hobby Lobby tomorrow.

Louis mentioned that next Sunday, is the 4th Sunday of Advent....Time is flying by...We have our Wedding Anniversary, coming up Friday, (44 years), then next Tuesday, I go to the Cardiologist. Thursday, we drive to New York State, for Christmas with my son's family.

View attachment 136906
GP 35s pullingfreight through Tyrone, PA during the PC era.
Congrats on #44 for the wedding. Terry and I in September celebrated #45. No idea how she puts up with me.

Media, I used to have faith in the media but have realized that they have only been in the story for there own reasons. Like ratings! A not recent example of media cover up goes back to FDR. Why would they not let the public see FDR in his wheelchair? they all knew he was in one. I remember her my mother 20 years ago or such talking about what a great man he was. She said folks were totally unaware he was in a wheelchair and he was never seen in it. Said she was shocked when she found out years later about it. I will stop there!

We have never had issues with any delivery drivers, even the pizza guys.

TomO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back